Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q5 40 TDI Quattro S line
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 2021 Q5 40 Tdi has been on the road for 3.5 months now and I already have to top up the oil, car has rolled 4100 kms. This is my first diesel and first car that I’ve had that is brand new. Oil level according to infotainment is saying low, would you say this is normal to have to top up already? I read in the manual that within the first 5000 kms the car can use more oil than usual, but just wondered what anyones views/experiences might be.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Ordered: Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
188 Posts
All engines are built to tight tolerances and will bed in over the first 10000 miles ish. The bedding in process will use oil and be different for each engine. I would expect that oil usage should be about 1 litre over the first 10000 miles, decreasing between 5000 miles and 10000 miles. Your figures seem about right if at the top end of expected usage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All engines are built to tight tolerances and will bed in over the first 10000 miles ish. The bedding in process will use oil and be different for each engine. I would expect that oil usage should be about 1 litre over the first 10000 miles, decreasing between 5000 miles and 10000 miles. Your figures seem about right if at the top end of expected usage.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
Yep sounds OK. You will also use more or less oil depending on how you drive, and the climate conditions where you live. Should be taking it relatively easy for first 5/10K miles.

Reactions: Jeremy_SWE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Q5 40 TDi clicked over 8000 miles at the weekend, so far I’ve put 2l of oil in it.
That’s good to know, cheers.

·
Premium Member
Ordered: Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
188 Posts
I would start worrying if you have done about 10k miles and you use 2ltr of oil in the next 10k miles. Up to 10k miles oil consumption is highly likely to be running in. Above 10k miles then high oil consumption is highly likely to be that something in the engine is going to break or is broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My 2021 Q5 40 Tdi has been on the road for 3.5 months now and I already have to top up the oil, car has rolled 4100 kms. This is my first diesel and first car that I’ve had that is brand new. Oil level according to infotainment is saying low, would you say this is normal to have to top up already? I read in the manual that within the first 5000 kms the car can use more oil than usual, but just wondered what anyones views/experiences might be.

Thanks.
I have a Audi Q5 71 reg done 3300 miles since new and my oil light came on last week, It took over 2 litres of oil to fill it to the recommended level,this can’t be right sure, ? I’ve email Audi customer service and there have replied saying i should take in a have a diagnostic check if I’m worried about it , I am going to take it in for a check

·
Still Game
5,039 Posts
Welcome to our forum :)
Which model Q5?
Perhaps it was not filled to max when new?
The oil consumption is high initially, while the components are running in.
Keep an eye on the gauge, do not wait / rely on warning light (n)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts