Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is off topic from Q5 but Audi car related nevertheless.

In my quest to find the perfect R8 to complement the family wagon of the SQ5 (my angle on it with the misses anyway). I've come across one being advertised as only having 60 miles on the clock.

Now here's the details:

2009 (UK Supplied)
It was shipped out to the middle east however the owner never paid the import duty so I'm told its been sat at the port in a container ever since but has been "maintained" (whatever that means, can't see it myself).
The car is due to arrive back in the UK at the end of the month. Apparently this dealer shipped the car over and now the owner is sending it back to be sold.
The dealer (non Audi) are advertising everything as new condition although I have my concerns.....

Car been sat round for 5 years, guessing tyres would be perishing? other rubber items (air con seals etc) may need looking at? also battery, no doubt flat but not cycled would that call for a new battery?
More importantly is servicing, although its not done any miles, the official blurb from Audi is every 2 years on a long life interval.

The dealer has already sent me a HPI check which is showing that the car hasn't been exported (assuming this is because its not been registered in another country) and DVLA check also shows this for the reg.
They believe it was originally supplied by Northampton Audi, asked them to confirm and was thinking to call them, give them the VIN number and see what they say.

What's your views on this guys? am I being over cautious (it is £75k of money), should I give it a wide birth (too good to be true)?

Cheers,

MT

·
Registered
249 Posts
It sounds so random to me that it probably is true, ring Northampton Audi and see what they say.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I guess it's also out of warranty?

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
There sounds to much of a story around it,idont no how much ur saving ,it would have to b a chunk to warrant all the agro ur going through,and potential pittfalls,it all sounds a bit blaggy,surely the seller would wait till the cars here and ready to sell ,before giving a customer this big escapade,I personally would swerve it,it may even b a scam 😞

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is up for £75k, new this would have been >£100k. If its really only done 60 miles then not a bad deal on the face of it. The dealer is based in London (Classic Car Sales UK Ltd) and they have other prestige cars on the go (Ferrari, Lamborghini etc).
If it was some guy working from a home address or private then I wouldn't have even given it this much attention.

I'm still weary don't get me wrong, more interested in its condition having been sat around for 5 years.

MT

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I wouldn't have one thats been sat for 5 years doing nothing.
it's not only the tyres but all the rubber seals, the shocks - i'd look for a low mileage used one with a service history and receipts. it also sounds too expensive for an 09 reg.

You need a min of MY10 IMO as thats when the minor tweaks and changes arrived.
A new model is due soon, if you hang on for the summer id expect the prices to drop.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
If the car was 100k new and it's 5 year old 75k doesn't sound that gr8,I haven't looked at r8 prices as of late and don't no wat spec ur lookin at,there must b sum other low mileage ones out there with Audi FSH 😄

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Snowman,
I was hoping you would comment being an R8 owner. There is another one (up north though) which is on MY11, only 6k miles and actually £1k cheaper. I'm down on the South coast so I've been putting it off going all the way up there and turns out to be bad.
This one was at least only London and I'm up there regularly anyway. Been holding off until the garage was built too (due to be done at the end of the month).

Just called Audi (Northampton) and it was purchased from them, they're looking into if it can have an extended warranty if its only covered 60 miles but never been serviced.

I know exactly what you're saying about shocks etc, what do car collectors do then when they buy these cars and have them sat around? Surely a £1M Enzo would suffer in the same way??

MT

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have said its a 5.2 V10 R-Tronic Coupe.

MT

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you sure that Classic Car Sales UK Limited is their correct name? If so, nothing registered for them at Companies House....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Rtronic - i wouldn't touch it.
Have you drive one? Its a nightmare. I love DSG, but Rtronic is just really poor and i could never get my head around it.
Lots of owners will say you 'get use to it', but you can get use to a bad back or a limp but that doesn't mean you'd want one or enjoy it!

R8 MR is known to leak from its seals.
An extended warranty would be good. R8 is not that expensive to run. Servicing/running cost compared to other junior super cars is pretty good.
The standard tyres are pants and are no good in the cold.
Extended leather is a must (IMO) also 09 has the old red DIS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Must admit I've not driven one yet, but spent a week with an F430 F1 which I'm told is similar but not quite the same (robotized manual), that was a good experience (hence the itch that needs to be scratched here!).
I've done plenty of reading on the manual vs R-Tronic and get mixed reviews every time. Trouble is I've been driving auto's now for a while and really hate stop start traffic in a manual car, call me lazy but going to a manual feels like going backwards.

I will be driving both auto and manual before I commit, but all in R-Tronic is the primary search for now. An S-Tronic would be nice but I'm looking at £90k min for one of those.

Also, I thought all V10s come with the colour DIS? I've certainly never seen any with the red, only V8's <MY10.

MT

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Sorry just read ur post,u want and a coupe ������

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
No R8s have a coloured DIS.
They are either Red, or white.

I saw Audi clearing the decks of ex demo V10s not long back - they were in the range of 85k, but the word demo car scares the crap out of me.
Stronic is also 7 speed. Just find a local one for a test drive and see if you can live with the Rtronic. I use mine in london and the clutch is not that heavy on the R8 so its more than useable.

Reviews of Rtronic, yeah, you'll struggle to find a good one.
Mines nearly 3 years old now so I'm looking for a change but with it being the spyder I'm waiting for the sun to come out before selling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I meant to say white DIS, i.e not red!!

MT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts