Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit to having been initially disappointed with fuel consumption on my 2.0 litre diesel. OK, it is pretty new, but I have been comparing like for like with the XC60 which has an official combined combined consumption significantly less than the new Q5. The car had done around 1300 miles before I started on a long trip this week and the overall average (calculated) was around 36mpg. Initial sums show the OBC to be around 4% optomistic.

Over the last few days I had a 400 mile trip to do and I tried to drive economically. I do "play a game" where I add the distance gone to the remaining range and see the maximum I achieve. Best I got after the first 150 miles was 820, which I thought was pretty good and works out at around 50mpg for a 75 litre tank.

Is there anyone else out there that plays these sort of games? Sad I know, but I do refer to myself as a bit of a number nerd :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Ransman,

If you are concerned about fuel consumption, can I recommend that you use fuelly - http://www.fuelly.com/. This will give you a very accurate picture of your fuel consumption (warning - it might make you cry!)

The official consumption figures for my current car are 47.9mpg on a combined cycle, but I'm only getting 42.1mpg (about 9% less), and that is mainly motorway driving (about 85%) so I would take the official figures with a pinch of salt.

This is from the dft website.......

How is the fuel consumption test conducted?

The test is outlined in Directive 93/116/EC as amended by Regulation (EC) 692/2008, and provides results that are more than representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The cars tested have to be run-in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

• Urban Cycle
    The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20[sup]o[/sup]C to 30[sup]o[/sup]C on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerating and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).

• Extra-Urban Cycle
    This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

• Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
    The combined figure presented is for the urban and extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Basically, the consumption figures are only a guide and to compare like for like.

VAG group cars (and others) are known for not having great economy figures when brand new, but do improve as they get more miles under their belts. Having had more than my fair share of VAG group cars from work, I found it frustrating having to explain myself to the fleet manager when I changed vehicles why there was a noted difference in fuel consuption for what was essentially the same car (but newer).

I actually has an XC60 and a Q5 on a 72 hour test drive before I went and ordered the Q5 - I found that the real life consuption on the XC60 was a lot more than that of the Q5 (not done using anything like fuelly, just looking at the on-board computer and driving at the same time, same roads), but felt that the consumption of the Q5 was more what I could live with.

Justin

PS - if I get near to 50mpg out of my Q5 on a long run, I'll be very happy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I don't use fuelly as I use my own spreadsheets where I can plot the data in lots of different ways. (Told you I was a number nerd :))

My XC60 D3 Geartronic gave me 39.5mpg average over 8,000 miles from new compared with the combined figure of 41.5mpg so am hoping to get better figures than that with the Q5 due to the quoted 47.1mpg figure. Time will tell.

However I always bear in mind that 10% difference in fuel consumption only equates to around £20pm based on my annual mileage. The lower depreciation on the Q5 will more than compensate for any potential disappointment on the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Ransman,

Don't forget that the Q5 is permanent 4 wheel drive (quattro), where as your XC60 was FWD (if I remember my XC60's correctly)!

Justin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Our q has done 1300 miles now and although the engine is pretty new im not expecting fuel consumption to change dramatically ...my wife drives like a snail, a mix of motor way and city driving and she gets 30mpg.
.i drive it a little harder and get about 28mpg . Motorway best ive had so far is an average of 32.2

No where near the figures Audi quoted me but i knew they wouldnt be. Its a big four wheel drive car, can we really expect any different.

it always concerns me that so many people buy their cars based on MPG and tax band rather than the type of useage they require the car for and the engine/power they desire.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ransman,

Don't forget that the Q5 is permanent 4 wheel drive (quattro), where as your XC60 was FWD (if I remember my XC60's correctly)!

Justin
You are correct Justin, which makes the Q5's claimed 47.1mpg absolutely remarkable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a little disappointed with my April 12 consumption (all based on the dash computer BTW) as after 6.5k miles, it is showing 32.8mpg, whereas my March 10 car finished up at 35.4mpg after 20k miles - same usage exactly, car to car.

Neither figure is anywhere close to the combined figure of over 40mpg that Audi quote, but at least it keeps the Tax Disc costs down

Also, my other car is showing 20.7mpg after 11.5k miles, so not all bad!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Q has 5500 miles and returning 34-36 MPG which is good compared to my Discovery that was doing 22 MPG. It can only get better as the miles increase, also I have not added oil either, my A4 was needing oil regulary at low mileage but now it doesn't use any also.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did a round trip of 343 mainly motorway miles in our 2009MY 2.0TDI S-Line Manual this week and got 36.0 mpg filling up at the bottom of the M40 and refilling later that night at the same services. Over 46,000 miles I guess our average is around 32-33 mpg, 36.6 mpg on the computer

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,

It seems that if you have the S-tronic you can expect about 32/33mpg and the manual 35/36mpg? Cruiser, is your Q5 S-tronic or manual?

As cruiser has said, it is a bit worrying that we are all becoming obsessed about our cars mpg - get out there are drive it (I would, but mine still has not been built yet!). We have all chosen a fairly large SUV type vehicle that has permanent 4 wheel drive, so we should not expect miricles with regards to fuel economy!!!!

Justin

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2 litre diesel 170 manual se with 30000 miles from new and i get 42 to 43 mpg on most long journeys and have had even higher doing around 60 to 65 mph.
I think the more miles you do you will see it get better it also made a difference for me on regular rotation of the tyres but it was around the 15000 miles mark that i started to notice the fuel consumption improving.

DCD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Our MY2013 2.0tdi now has nearly 3k miles and has averaged 34mpg since new. I would suggest about 50:50 in terms of longish motorway runs and daily urban routes. Obviously nowhere near the office figures but I have found that with every car I have owned in the past 5 years. On a run at 65-70 we were seeing close to 50mpg on the Trip computer which does not appear to be out by more than a few percent.

Interestingly I have a strong suspicion that VAG cars never get as close to the official figures as other brands I have owned especially BMW's which although not achieving the claimed figures were considerably closer and I did manage to achieve the combined cycle figures on occasions with mixed driving scenarios. I think 49mpg combined would be very difficult from the Q5 unless you drive like an undertaker.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The nature of a diesel engine means that it won't reach peak efficiency until about 80k miles! You can bet that Audi use well worn engines for their mpg tests! I know people with 8 year old Audi's and they have said the fuel economy just keeps getting better. My 3.0tdi Quattro A8 is getting 34mpg according to the computer, I get 44mpg on a decent motorway journey.

·
Registered
147 Posts
mine has just done 5500 miles..i get just about 500 miles to the tank, although the computer says 32 mpg avg...i do mixed city and motorway traffic with daily 10min school runs...so cant complain...i just dont want mr.DPFwarning coming on.....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After 1800 miles, last fill up was 38.9mpg. Average since new 36.8mpg.

On board computer 4.6% optimistic.

2.0tdi S-tronic - how do you add car information to the bottom of your posts?

·
Banned
801 Posts
After 1800 miles, last fill up was 38.9mpg. Average since new 36.8mpg.

On board computer 4.6% optimistic.

2.0tdi S-tronic - how do you add car information to the bottom of your posts?
Correction of consumption you can make with vag-com (VCDs)

Correct Consumption in DIS program
[17 - Instruments] [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 3 change 100 to xxx (see samples below)

Sample 1 - Calculation based on volume per distance (e.g. l/100km):
DIS: 9.3 l/100 km.
Real: 9.8 l/100 km. (100 * 9.8 / 9.3 = 105.38)
Channel 3 will be changed from 100 to 105

Sample 2 - Calculation based on distance per volume (e.g. MPG):
DIS: 23 MPG.
Real: 24 MPG. (100 * 23 / 24 = 95.83)
Channel 3 will be changed from 100 to 96

1 - 20 of 24 Posts