Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know the nose weight limit of the Q5?
Apologies if this information appears elsewhere!
Cheers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
240 Posts
Rowanlaw, the nose weight depends on the tow bar you have fitted. The factory fitted one may be 80 kg (I'm not sure about that) but the after market Bosal (Oris) is rated at 100kg while the dealer fitted tow bar in Australia and the US (also made by Oris) is rated to 200kg nose weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rowanlaw, the nose weight depends on the tow bar you have fitted. The factory fitted one may be 80 kg (I'm not sure about that) but the after market Bosal (Oris) is rated at 100kg while the dealer fitted tow bar in Australia and the US (also made by Oris) is rated to 200kg nose weight.
CrustyNoodle,
Thanks for the info - mine's a factory fit option. I didn't realise it would vary. Am I right in thinking 'Nose weight' is the limit of the down force exerted on the tow bar which could cause problems with headlight projection, traction etc.?

·
Registered
240 Posts
CrustyNoodle,
Thanks for the info - mine's a factory fit option. I didn't realise it would vary. Am I right in thinking 'Nose weight' is the limit of the down force exerted on the tow bar which could cause problems with headlight projection, traction etc.?
Headlights shouldn't be a problem as they are "active" so they auto adjust. Across the different bars, nose weight is more a function of structural strength of the bar itself - take a look at the US / Aus bar and you'll see what I mean:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

I'm not sure anyone would run around with 200kg vertical on their tow bar but it certainly provides a healthy safety factor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headlights shouldn't be a problem as they are "active" so they auto adjust. Across the different bars, nose weight is more a function of structural strength of the bar itself - take a look at the US / Aus bar and you'll see what I mean:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

I'm not sure anyone would run around with 200kg vertical on their tow bar but it certainly provides a healthy safety factor.
CrusyNoodle,
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your explanation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you have the factory fit option - there should be a silver sticker (mine is on the left side body panel - near to the tailgate strut) which is visible when the tailgate is up - picture of a towbar and 80kg next to it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
How much of a safety margin do you think Audi has included in that 80KG

If the car can have a retrofitted Oris detachable towbar with a 100Kg nose limit. Then it's not the car imposing the limit, it's Bosal the towbar manufacturer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts