Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I have a question about the operating temperature of the Q5 2.0Tdi 143. I thought that the normal operating temperature of the car is 90 Degrees C and that it should reach that temperature and then stay there. Mine if you haven't already guessed doesn't. If I'm doing normal 30 Mph to 40Mph driving with normal acceleration I'll be lucky if it gets to 70. If I go on the motorway or accelerate hard then I can get it up to 90 but if I sit idle(by disabling the stop start) then the temperature guage will slowly lose temperature. I took it into the stealers who reported that they couldn't find anything wrong.

Is this normal, plus my economy has been affected currently the average is hovering around 32MPG.

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
578 Posts
HI I have a question about the operating temperature of the Q5 2.0Tdi 143. I thought that the normal operating temperature of the car is 90 Degrees C and that it should reach that temperature and then stay there. Mine if you haven't already guessed doesn't. If I'm doing normal 30 Mph to 40Mph driving with normal acceleration I'll be lucky if it gets to 70. If I go on the motorway or accelerate hard then I can get it up to 90 but if I sit idle(by disabling the stop start) then the temperature guage will slowly lose temperature. I took it into the stealers who reported that they couldn't find anything wrong.

Is this normal, plus my economy has been affected currently the average is hovering around 32MPG.

thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

I checked this out today for you. I have the same Q5 as you (the 143) and it reaches 70 degress within a minute or so and then climbs to 90 within 5 minutes and it stays there regardless of whether I am moving or not.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the same. Its the 2.0tdi 170bhp. Fuel consumption had been terrible and thought this may have something to do with it. Booked it into the dealers for a check up. They carried out a software upgrade which was due but their answer to the temperature problem was interesting to say the least! They said, 'ah yes Audi know about this problem it's been designated as number such and such and they are working on a fix! They said not to worry as it doen't affect the performance of the car. That's all very well but it is affecting my wallet. Off down to the dealers tomorrow to see what they'll give me against a more frugal model!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mine does the same. Its the 2.0tdi 170bhp. Fuel consumption had been terrible and thought this may have something to do with it. Booked it into the dealers for a check up. They carried out a software upgrade which was due but their answer to the temperature problem was interesting to say the least! They said, 'ah yes Audi know about this problem it's been designated as number such and such and they are working on a fix! They said not to worry as it doen't affect the performance of the car. That's all very well but it is affecting my wallet. Off down to the dealers tomorrow to see what they'll give me against a more frugal model!
Well the trade in value should be strong, although the car isn't even broken in yet so you won't be getting great mpg, I'd say 32mpg on average would be reasonable - what mpg are you actually getting?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even on a cold morning like today, my 2.0 TDI 170 reaches 90 deg before I park at the station which is under 5 mins from my house. I do leave it in Sport and have a couple of 1/2 mile stretches of full throttle as part of that though.

My fuel consumption has always been terrible. Never, ever, seen over 30mpg - I get 27 on a run and 23 to the station and back. However on a run I do tend to.... run and as mentioned the station trips are only 5mins so only just reaches operating temp.

I don't really care about the mpg. You don't by a heavy 4wd SUV for mpg.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'm keeping a diary from new for my 2.0TDI Stronic to look at how the car runs in and how economy changes. Mine gets a motorway run everyday and at 3000 is averaging 32-35mpg. Will report back with findings a few more months in and we can see how the engine beds in and economy improves...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks for all the replies and sorry for not being on in a while. Things haven't changed and the dealers still won't recognise the problem whenever it goes it the problem sudenly disappears until i get in again.

I take your point about the MPG I you're I didn't buy it for the mpg I'm more bothered about the fact that its not behaving the same as the 2.0TDI A3 and TT that I've had, both heated up quickly and stayed there.

Whilst this only heats up after a motorway run and if you sit idling you can see the guage slowly dropping.

Kramer is yours still going strong.

achaleven At least your dealers recognise there's a problem. Hopefully when it goes in for its first service it might be fixed then.

Have to say I love the car, and would definetely get another one and if I can stretch to it, it will be the 3.0tdi next time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi thanks for all the replies and sorry for not being on in a while. Things haven't changed and the dealers still won't recognise the problem whenever it goes it the problem sudenly disappears until i get in again.

I take your point about the MPG I you're I didn't buy it for the mpg I'm more bothered about the fact that its not behaving the same as the 2.0TDI A3 and TT that I've had, both heated up quickly and stayed there.

Whilst this only heats up after a motorway run and if you sit idling you can see the guage slowly dropping.

Kramer is yours still going strong.

achaleven At least your dealers recognise there's a problem. Hopefully when it goes in for its first service it might be fixed then.

Have to say I love the car, and would definetely get another one and if I can stretch to it, it will be the 3.0tdi next time.
Yes, mine warms up to the half way point within 10 minutes and stays there. Never seen the temperature drop - have you thought about filming it and taking the video to Audi?

·
Registered
433 Posts
temperature issues are usually related the thermostates, it may be parcially open causeing the low temperature

1 - 9 of 9 Posts