Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q5 2.0 TDI is equipped with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres. Mostly I drive the car alone without any passengers or heavy loads. After some 50.000 km I notice noise from the wheels just as if a bearing is damaged. I go to the dealer who explain that it is not the case, but the noise is coming from the rear tyres. He explains that such car is generally constructed for driving with a certain load and if I always drive without passengers on rear seat and empty baggage compartment, then the quatro drive will cause that the rear tyres are worn in a way giving the said noice.

Now after 60.000 km the noice is even worse.

Anyone has such experience and should I beleive in this story?

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
That sounds like salesman's story to me. If you think that this may be the cause, you could try rotating the wheels on the car. http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/rotation.asp

Please note some tyre manufacturers now discourange the practice of swopping front to rear and prefer to sell you a new set of four.

At 60.000Km
is it not time to replace the tyres?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a similar problem on my A4 rear tyre noise, tyre slightly worn on the inside edge fitted new ones to the rear and the originals to the front to wear them out, the noise stopped. Found that information on another site, most people as I did think wheel bearing....not the case tyre noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar experience on my old A6 (2007). It sounded very much like wheel bearings being at fault and I had only just bought the car (pre-owned, 30k miles). I was told by the dealer that the tyres had worn in a 'stepped' fashion and that this was causing the issue. I therefore replaced all 4 tyres at my expense following the advice. Imagine my frustration when the noise still occurred.

A visit to a second dealer, and a much more thorough test drive, resulted in a new diagnosis: a worn rear wheel bearing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts. I have now rotated the tyres and the noise is now coming from the front tyres, hope it will be reduced along with wearing them out. Anyway, it is soon time to change for winter tyres and I will then buy new tyres in the spring and start rotating them regularly, that will hopefully solve the problem.

·
Banned
801 Posts
What do you expect from the tires after 60,000 km ????
Especially since you not have done tire rotation every 10,000 km as required by Dunlop
I am my tires Michelin Latitude Sport replaced after 41,000 km

·
Registered
130 Posts
What do you expect from the tires after 60,000 km ????
Especially since you not have done tire rotation every 10,000 km as required by Dunlop
I am my tires Michelin Latitude Sport replaced after 41,000 km
OP did mention that he is about to change to winter tyres. Maybe it's possible the 60,000km were not covered on the summer tyres but that some of that mileage was on the winter tyres.

·
Banned
801 Posts
OP did mention that he is about to change to winter tyres. Maybe it's possible the 60,000km were not covered on the summer tyres but that some of that mileage was on the winter tyres.
I am not that understand because he is wrote "After some 50,000 km I notice noise from the wheels just as if a bearing is damaged" Now after 60,000 km the noice is even worse.
Nowhere did not mention that before changing tires and especially for not rotating the same as proposed in Dunlop manufacturer

Later wrote, "Anyway, it is time to change soon for winter tires and I will then buy new tires in the spring and start rotating them regularly, that will hopefully solve the problem.
That means that he never bought new tires

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well if he has managed 60,000km from one set of tyres he must have the smoothest driving style in the world or a cabin pressurised with Helium

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have experienced this issue with my Octavia VRS, as have dozens of other owners. Sounds like what you are experiencing is what is commonly referred to as "Sawtoothing" whereby the inner edges of the tyres wear in a stepped fashion and hence create a droning noise similar to a damaged wheel bearing.

Dunlop Sport Max seemed particulary prone to this but other tyres also suffered.

Eventually Skoda agreed to replace all the tyres on my vehicle and arranged for the wheel alignment to be re done by Audi (It seems the problem was caused by wheel alignment issues.)

Having said that my symptoms became evident after only 6000miles and if you have managed 60,000 from a set I would call that a result. After 60,000 you should almost be on the rims!

It may be worth having your wheel alignment checked.

(log into the Briskoda forum for the full and very lengthy story)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have experienced this issue with my Octavia VRS, as have dozens of other owners. Sounds like what you are experiencing is what is commonly referred to as "Sawtoothing" whereby the inner edges of the tyres wear in a stepped fashion and hence create a droning noise similar to a damaged wheel bearing.

Dunlop Sport Max seemed particulary prone to this but other tyres also suffered.

Eventually Skoda agreed to replace all the tyres on my vehicle and arranged for the wheel alignment to be re done by Audi (It seems the problem was caused by wheel alignment issues.)

Having said that my symptoms became evident after only 6000miles and if you have managed 60,000 from a set I would call that a result. After 60,000 you should almost be on the rims!

It may be worth having your wheel alignment checked.

(log into the Briskoda forum for the full and very lengthy story)
60000km is a huge amount of km's to cover on a set of tyres - I wish (and hope) that I could do the same!!! It doesn't seem to matter what car I've had, but I only ever seem to manage about 40000km (25000 miles) when using brands like Michelin or Continental.

I currently have an Octavia vRS but mine has always had Continental Sport Contact tyres fitted and as they wore down there was a lot of noise coming from them......... By the time they were at about 3mm, it was driving me mad, but being tight-fisted I didn't change them until nearer 2mm - what a difference!

I had the alignment checked while all the tyres were replaced, and all was fine - I was not charged for the checking, only if it had needed to be adjusted.

Pg220 - when Skoda replaced all the tyres on your Octi, what did they replace them with?

Justin

·
Registered
221 Posts
Justin

I went for the Michelin Pilot sport 3 and so far they have been fine in relation to the sawtoothing. I've done around 12,000 on them and just looking to swap them round front to back.

The fronts have about 3mm left on them. I don't thrash the car around but it's putting some torque through the front all the same. Mine is a TSI Estate with the DSG box

Even with them down to that level the road noise is still pretty good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My tyres are the bridgestone duellers on 19inch wheels and they have done 28000 miles from new with rotation every 10,000 miles the fronts are just under 2mm and the back just under 3mm so i cant complain 30,000 miles out of tyres is pretty good looking to change at the end of the month.

DCD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts