Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have been owners thoughts on not having a manual way of checking your oil ? If going on long drives I like to check my oil although never had a problem I find it reassuring to know it's " right " . Opinions please

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
What have been owners thoughts on not having a manual way of checking your oil ? If going on long drives I like to check my oil although never had a problem I find it reassuring to know it's " right " . Opinions please
My BMW 135i had the same deal so I got used to it. It also had a drinking problem when it comes to oil so I came to trust it told me when I needed more.

Audi told me on handover that modern engines use more oil than those of old and so don't be surprised for it to pop up asking for oil once in a while. When it does just pop into the nearest dealer for a free top up. Am yet to try this after 5000 miles.

Others have suggested the oil level shown in the MMI is accurate. You can even check it on the move if you like!
I personally haven't even looked since I picked it up - I think being young (27) I trust technology to tell me if it needs something!
The only thing I regularly check on the car is the tread depth...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't know the SQ5 didn't have a dipstick to check the oil....that Said, this is my first ever Diesel car (well, will be when it arrives!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dearly departed 535d M Sport had a manual and electronic dip stick. Must say that over the course of 72000 miles...never once had to top up. Average service intervals were around 19000 miles. I'm guessing I will trust the car to tell me when it's feeling thirsty....

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I find i check the oil more than i would with a traditional dipstick - thats not because i don't trust it, its more the convenience of the electronic version so i more than welcome it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Q has 10k on the clock and the MMI screen has not moved since the day we bought it,but I am not to concerned as my previous A4 didn't use oil between services also. My A3 has just over 3k on the clock and that has not used oil also. I like to kee the engines working instead of nursing them, I have my wife trained on the power side of the engines and when to change gear and to forget a out the gear change indicator.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
My Q has 10k on the clock and the MMI screen has not moved since the day we bought it,but I am not to concerned as my previous A4 didn't use oil between services also. My A3 has just over 3k on the clock and that has not used oil also. I like to kee the engines working instead of nursing them, I have my wife trained on the power side of the engines and when to change gear and to forget a out the gear change indicator.
Wish my other half would listen to how to drive!

She has a 6 speed, but is convinced its a 4 speed!

·
Registered
706 Posts
The only reason why I am buying a manual dipstick is to enduse that the sump is not over filled by me, wife or the dealer. Something that the MMI does not do, well I dont think so.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Happy with my MMI indicator. Checked today and half full after initial 5500 miles. It was half full after c3000 so doesn't look to be using any at present..

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Here's my level after 5000 miles. I gave the car no run in and was purposely hard in the initial 1500 miles (partly for fun, partly to encourage a free revving engine).

All in all seems fair, certainly not excessive.

It wasn't quite full when I picked it up, probably 7/8th's.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1377192039.431637.jpg

Attachments

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I would be embarrassed to post a photo like that one ........ is your dash always that dirty?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I would be embarrassed to post a photo like that one ........ is your dash always that dirty?
It looks worse in the photo!

It was actually just cleaned about a week ago (Audi did it while it was in to have TDI removed).

·
Registered
700 Posts
the MMI dipstick is great,saves you getting rags out and oil every where, havnt checked mine yet and done 2.5k,will check it later

1 - 16 of 16 Posts