Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt most of you have heard that the 2016 Q5 will be built in Mexico. Any thoughts on this? Will it impact your next buying decision?

I know for sure that if the UK get the Mexican built one (I assume it will?), I won't be getting the first gen version until we know that it's put together as well as the German made ones.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
503 Posts
More than likely be a Lexus NX for me next time.

I can't say that I'm that impressed with the build quality on my Q5 anyway. I think it's more to do with quality of materials having said that. I was surprised to see it was rated No 1 in the recent AutoExpress survey.

The thought of a car built in Mexico does not fill me with confidence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wouldn't consider it at the price range they're currently charging ... which is for a German built car, not one built in Mexico!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
More than likely be a Lexus NX for me next time.

I can't say that I'm that impressed with the build quality on my Q5 anyway. I think it's more to do with quality of materials having said that. I was surprised to see it was rated No 1 in the recent AutoExpress survey.

The thought of a car built in Mexico does not fill me with confidence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hav to look a that Lexus your on bout,Neva considered that brand b4 ,what's swaying u that way í ½í¸„

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can't beleive they will ship from Mexico. An european plant must be in the pipeline. I guess first deroveries many come from mexico until the current line is tooled up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
@ SQ5-BEAST (quote not working for me)

Its the Hybrid drivetrain that's drawing me, as it really suits my laid back driving style, plus its stunning inside.

Very edgy design, but not as classic looking as the Q5 and it looks a bit under wheeled even for me with the largest wheel size being 18", but I will be very interested to see it when it comes near the end of the year.

For the more racy driver they are doing two non Hybrids, 2.0 petrol and 2.0 petrol turbo as the range topper.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
@ SQ5-BEAST (quote not working for me)

Its the Hybrid drivetrain that's drawing me, as it really suits my laid back driving style, plus its stunning inside.

Very edgy design, but not as classic looking as the Q5 and it looks a bit under wheeled even for me with the largest wheel size being 18", but I will be very interested to see it when it comes near the end of the year.

For the more racy driver they are doing two non Hybrids, 2.0 petrol and 2.0 petrol turbo as the range topper.
ok Il hav a look,from wat ur saying the tech sounds good,but performance wise mite not b my cup of tea í ½í¸„

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why can't they build a factory for the UK - seeing as it would boost the economy, quicker deliveries for thousands of customers and could meet the demand of Audi's orders so people aren't waiting for too much time.

Or just another factory in Germany?!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've posted this before - you're missing the context, that factory will be for the americas.
So, no makes no difference to my thought process.

The worse one is that due to poor sales in APAC, the indian factory is been looked at to boost supply for the EU market.
I would not have a car from india, or that has a remote possibility of been made in india.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I honestly don't think it matters where its assembled. A lot of the perceived quality is actually the choice of materials and design integrity, i.e. decent materials and designed/refined to perfection is what makes an Audi a decent vehicle. Audi quality systems will ensure that sub-standard vehicles won't leave the factory. Its quite likely that vehicles assembled in Mexico would make it back to Europe, the transporter ships cross the Atlantic from Germany, rather than go back empty, hopping down to Mexico would make logistical sense.

Leaving the brand a couple of years ago for a Range Rover Evoque bought this into stark focus, LR had got the styling bit cracked but the material quality and ability to engineer the defects out of a design, pre mass production were beyond LR's capability.

Reactions: jathanas

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The board report stated Mexico was planned to be used for the americas. The capacity freed from the EU with this move would enable further growth in the local markets. Mexico is not planned for EU units, backfill or over capacity will be from india.

http://www.autonews....d-u.s.-shortage

I would not touch or buy anything made in india.
From that article."Audi's plant will have capacity to build 150,000 units annually, supplying the Q5 crossover to all markets but China, which has its own assembly plant for the Q5." This is the bit that isn't clear in the reports, I have seen others that break down the allocation with Europe getting xx,xxx. I can't remember the figure. I hope we don't get the the Mexican built ones as the quality is completely untested and for something as expensive as a car, you want to make sure it built properly.

Overfill from India? Agree....no thanks.

I really hope that we get ours made in Germany otherwise I'll have to look hard at the CX-17 as that does look very promising.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts