Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and I'm about to order a Q5. Looking forward to being able contribute once I'm an actual owner.

Advanced Key
- I want locking confirmation chirp when I lock my car. I think it might make using the advanced key a little easier. I know for sure it's standard in the USA but it not in my country (Trinidad). Will I be able to enable the chirp in the MMI?

Homelink Garage Door Opener
- I have a FAAC electronic gate at my house. I don't want to order the feature and have it not work. So is there anyway I can confirm it will work with my specific gate?

Safety is important to me because my wife will be the primary driver but, I don't want to spend money for spending money sake. So I have some questions on assistance features.

Audi Side Assist
- How is the Q5 for blind spots on daily driving? Should I opt for Audi Side Assist? Will I regret not ordering it. I'm not going for Lane Assist because many of our roads don't have proper lane markings, either not there at all or faint.

Anti-glare Side Mirrors
- All my windows except the windshield will be tinted, does this effect the need and functionality of the anti-glare mirrors? Think it sounds like a good feature though and coming from a Tiguan with the anti-glare rear view mirror I found that feature very helpful.

Adaptive Cornering Headlights?
- I am opting for xenon plus with led daytime running lights. How useful have you found the cornering lights to be? The adaptive lights are optional in my part of the world.

Rear Side Airbags
- have kids 10 & 13. Should I opt for it? As I said before safety is very important to me.

That's it for now and it's already quite an overload of questions.
Thanks I'm advance!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I'm new to this forum and I'm about to order a Q5. Looking forward to being able contribute once I'm an actual owner.

Advanced Key
- I want locking confirmation chirp when I lock my car. I think it might make using the advanced key a little easier. I know for sure it's standard in the USA but it not in my country (Trinidad). Will I be able to enable the chirp in the MMI?

Homelink Garage Door Opener
- I have a FAAC electronic gate at my house. I don't want to order the feature and have it not work. So is there anyway I can confirm it will work with my specific gate?

Safety is important to me because my wife will be the primary driver but, I don't want to spend money for spending money sake. So I have some questions on assistance features.

Audi Side Assist
- How is the Q5 for blind spots on daily driving? Should I opt for Audi Side Assist? Will I regret not ordering it. I'm not going for Lane Assist because many of our roads don't have proper lane markings, either not there at all or faint.

Anti-glare Side Mirrors
- All my windows except the windshield will be tinted, does this effect the need and functionality of the anti-glare mirrors? Think it sounds like a good feature though and coming from a Tiguan with the anti-glare rear view mirror I found that feature very helpful.

Adaptive Cornering Headlights?
- I am opting for xenon plus with led daytime running lights. How useful have you found the cornering lights to be? The adaptive lights are optional in my part of the world.

Rear Side Airbags
- have kids 10 & 13. Should I opt for it? As I said before safety is very important to me.

That's it for now and it's already quite an overload of questions.
Thanks I'm advance!
Hi, welcome!

I'll try and give you my thoughts on all...

Locking chirp:
It's not standard in the UK, but if it is something the US cars do you will definitely be able to enable it with VCDS - if you ask your dealer nicely they may do it for you. If you have folding mirrors they fold on lock which is a handy indicator. However note they do not unfold on unlock (only when the ignition is turned on).

Garage door:
From what I have read the home link garage door opener is quite picky about the doors it works with and it also different depending on region... You would be best giving the exact door system model to your dealer and asking them to confirm with Audi Germany.

Side assist:
Only useful on multi lane roads, but I use it often in this instance (in fact I always leave it on). It has saved me once or twice in 8k miles from a near miss.

Anti glare side mirrors:
They dim with the rear view, they don't have their own sensor. This is sometimes annoying when you have someone placed behind you where their lights are only visible in the side view, not the rear view. But on the whole a handy feature regardless of tints.

Adaptive corner lighting:
My favourite gadget on the car. Only yesterday I was singing its praises to my mrs and saying how I hate driving my MR2 at night as it doesn't have it. A must have for all my future vehicles.

Rear side airbags:
It is questionable of they help or hinder for children in car seats, but as yours are a little older probably well worth it. I ticked the option on the basis of it being an obvious safety feature which should really be standard IMO

Here is my full review on the driver aids available... http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/3075-Drivers%20Aids%20Review%20(ACC,%20Side/Lane%20assist)

Hope I have helped!!!

What is the full spec list you are going for? The one other little option to add if its not standard in your part of the world is hill hold assist - it's only £65 here in the UK but makes keeping the car stationary much easier etc (even not on a hill)

Let me know if you have any more queries (I couldn't say no to any options so can comment on the use of most of them!).

José

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have locking chick with advance key, it's a 2min change, but not standard.

The rest is subjective, ASA works, garage link is programable, not had an issue but I could be lucky.
Cornering lights had them before and if you do lots of night driving they could be worth it.
Anti glare side mirrors are a god send

But that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, welcome!

I'll try and give you my thoughts on all...

Locking chirp:
It's not standard in the UK, but if it is something the US cars do you will definitely be able to enable it with VCDS - if you ask your dealer nicely they may do it for you. If you have folding mirrors they fold on lock which is a handy indicator. However note they do not unfold on unlock (only when the ignition is turned on).
Very good point, didn't think about the mirrors folding that could definitely work
Garage door:
From what I have read the home link garage door opener is quite picky about the doors it works with and it also different depending on region... You would be best giving the exact door system model to your dealer and asking them to confirm with Audi Germany.
I have heard too that it can be picky. Its not a must have feature to me but, still would be nice.
Side assist:
Only useful on multi lane roads, but I use it often in this instance (in fact I always leave it on). It has saved me once or twice in 8k miles from a near miss.
Drivers in Trinidad can be quite crazy and change lanes at last minute with no indication so I think Side Assist would be an asset to keep all blind spots in check.

Anti glare side mirrors:
They dim with the rear view, they don't have their own sensor. This is sometimes annoying when you have someone placed behind you where their lights are only visible in the side view, not the rear view. But on the whole a handy feature regardless of tints.
For the price it's also just a why not feature. We both have astigmatism so any reduction in glare is helpful.
Adaptive corner lighting:
My favourite gadget on the car. Only yesterday I was singing its praises to my mrs and saying how I hate driving my MR2 at night as it doesn't have it. A must have for all my future vehicles.
So I'm going to have to replace my car too.

Rear side airbags:
It is questionable of they help or hinder for children in car seats, but as yours are a little older probably well worth it. I ticked the option on the basis of it being an obvious safety feature which should really be standard IMO
Agreed if I'm safe upfront, so should those in the back (particularly my little angels)

Hope I have helped!!!

What is the full spec list you are going for? The one other little option to add if its not standard in your part of the world is hill hold assist - it's only £65 here in the UK but makes keeping the car stationary much easier etc (even not on a hill)
I'm taking an Audi Q5 2.0TFSI Quattro as we are taxed heavily on any engine over 2499cc. Just to give you an idea the base Q5 2.0T costs about £50,000 so this engine will have to be enough. Diesel isn't an option because the quality of our diesel fuel is very poor.

Standard Model:
2.0TFSI (225 HP) TipTronic quattro
PRN - 18" 5 V-Spoke Design Alloy Wheels
PEB - Milano Leather Upholstery
5MG - Inlays in Walnut Brown
PV1 - Electrically Adjustable front seats with lumber support
1XX - Leather-covered multifunction sports steering wheel, 3-spoke with paddle shifters
4E9 - Electronic Boot Lid
VJ1 - Colour co-ordinated bumpers

9Q8 - Colour Driver information System with efficiency Programme
5KA - Rear Seat Bench Plus - Reclining Rear Seats
PX1 - Xenon Lights (with LED Daytime running lights) - Includes headlight washers
8N7 - Light and Rain Sensor with high beam assistant
6XK - Electric Folding door mirrors with anti glare action
8UM - Audi Symphony Radio with 6 Disk CD Changer
9AQ - 3 Zone climate control
QQ1 - Lighting Package
QE5 - Storage Compartment Package
9ZF - Preparation for mobile phone (Bluetooth) with hands-free operation
7X4 - Audi parking system plus
3Y4 - Manual blinds for rear side windows
7AL - Anti-theft alarm system

- Electronic Parking Brake with Hill Hold Assit

Optional Features:
- Colour: Monsoon Grey or Daytona Grey
PQD - S-line Exterior (Might do this to upgrade my rim size and get Daytona Grey)
PEB - Black Milano Seats
4F2 - Advanced Key
8Q5 - Adaptive Lights
7Y1 - Audi Side Assist
7K6 - Tyre Pressure Monitoring Display
4X4 - Rear Side Airbags
6XK - Electric Folding Door Mirrors with Anti glare action
5TB - Inlays, Aluminium/Beaufort Wood Black

Let me know if you have any more queries (I couldn't say no to any options so can comment on the use of most of them!).

José
Thank you very much for all you help will let you know if I have any other questions and what my final spec will be.

I have locking chick with advance key, it's a 2min change, but not standard.

The rest is subjective, ASA works, garage link is programable, not had an issue but I could be lucky.
Cornering lights had them before and if you do lots of night driving they could be worth it.
Anti glare side mirrors are a god send

But that's just my opinion...
Did you program the chirp yourself or did your dealer do it for you?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate; sorry I can't contribute to any/most of those questions however if it helps here in the UK they highly recommend rear side airbags if you have kids. I have a 15 year old and 11 year old and so i was definitely up for it.
Looking forward to hearing move from you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate; sorry I can't contribute to any/most of those questions however if it helps here in the UK they highly recommend rear side airbags if you have kids. I have a 15 year old and 11 year old and so i was definitely up for it.
Looking forward to hearing move from you!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure you must be looking forward to the arrival of your SQ5.

I think the injuries caused by frontal airbags to young children has caused a bad reputation to the rear side airbags as well. I have also read some articles encouraging the addition of rear side airbags for the safety of children. So it's settled I'm going for the rear side airbags.

Everyone who has commented has a SQ5. I'm quite jealous

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Which Q5 are you planning on opting for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which Q5 are you planning on opting for?
Just a Q5 2.0TFSI Quattro triptronic 225bhp.

Our taxes are based on engine displacement, so it's charged per cc and the rate gets higher the larger the displacement.

The bottom line is anything over a 2.5 engine the cost start to shoot up.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Oh ok, the 2.0TFSI has a hell of a lot of power so I'm sure that will be perfect, nice choice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
LEATHER PACKAGE PLUS

What does leather package plus exactly bring to my Q5.

Specify every detail of your car's interior with this range of exclusive options.

The leather package plus offers additional comfort for the driver and passengers. Includes door armrests and instrument cowling

Only in combination with leather or leather/Alcantara upholstery. When combined with S line the stitching is only in black. In combination with upholsteries colours Star silver, Cinnamon, Light grey (with black stitching), or Gardamon beige. With Exclusive line upholstery, the stitching is in a contrasting colour.
So I'm ordering a Q5 2.0TFSI SE with Black Milano Leather. I'm having a little problem understanding what will "Leather Package Plus" gives me.

Will I have white stitching in combination with my Black Milano? Or am I missing something?

Instrument cowling in leather what exactly does that mean?

Can someone please shed light, does it really add to the quality of the interior making it look more upmarket. Maybe show me a picture for visual reference.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Post here discussing it in detail;
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/3060-Leather%20package%20plus

It basically gets the top of the dash/instrument cluster where the speedo is covered and the door arms (although the door arms are sometimes done as part of other interior packages).

The instrument cowl does not have contrast stitching... This is a sore point among many who have the contrast stitching on the seats (but you will not get contrast stitch seats unless you pay for the exclusive interior which is very expensive).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Post here discussing it in detail;
http://www.myaudiq5....0package%20plus

It basically gets the top of the dash/instrument cluster where the speedo is covered and the door arms (although the door arms are sometimes done as part of other interior packages).

The instrument cowl does not have contrast stitching... This is a sore point among many who have the contrast stitching on the seats (but you will not get contrast stitch seats unless you pay for the exclusive interior which is very expensive).

So if the instrument cowl is black stitching as well as my seats it should be fine. Not paying for exclusive to get contrast stitching, I would then go for something much more elaborate which will takes weeks for me to decide as I would want my car to be perfect

Do I get the Leather Package Plus? We don't have any at the dealer so I can't really see for myself. I like how it looks in the pictures your posed in the other tread. Is it really noticeable adding a premium feel to the cabin?

And because you have the Climate Cup Holder, How do you like it? Does it cool and heat drinks well?

Do you have the panoramic sunroof? If not, is the black headliner on the black leather create a dark cabin? I think It would be fine but, you live with it in yours.

This is great you have all the features I have questions about! Thanks!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
LOL! Glad to help. There are a lot of options and dealers are not always the best at explaining the 'real world' use of them I find!

Pano roof is the one option I didn't add as I didn't want the extra weight raising the centre of gravity, plus it is a VERY expensive option here (£1,300). Those that have it love it though... Just be warned that a number of people in hot climates have had to add a clear ceramic coating to stop so much heat getting into the car with the greenhouse effect!
I actually like the black/black/black interior as it gives a 'sport cocoon' effect so you focus on the road ahead without a bright silver border... (This is how my salesman described it when I was pondering silver vs black headliner and I agree with him now I have the car). Black will also no show up small peoples grubby finger prints...!

I got the leather pack plus more for the arm rests than the instrument cowl - but I think it definitely adds a touch of class and comfort.

Cup holder is a funny story... My last car (BMW 135i convertible) had one cup holder and it was in a stupid place half way under the arm rest... As such my Mrs would hound me about how her Mini had 2 sensibly placed cup holders and my expensive/stupid car didn't! So when looking at new cars it became a running joke that the first thing we checked out was the cup holder situation! So this option was a must have for that comedy reason alone.
I can report I use it often for both keeping Coke cool and tea warm and it does a very good job of both! Note it is only 1 out if the 2 in the centre console that is climate controlled...

Next question...!!??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL! Glad to help. There are a lot of options and dealers are not always the best at explaining the 'real world' use of them I find!

Pano roof is the one option I didn't add as I didn't want the extra weight raising the centre of gravity, plus it is a VERY expensive option here (£1,300). Those that have it love it though... Just be warned that a number of people in hot climates have had to add a clear ceramic coating to stop so much heat getting into the car with the greenhouse effect!
I actually like the black/black/black interior as it gives a 'sport cocoon' effect so you focus on the road ahead without a bright silver border... (This is how my salesman described it when I was pondering silver vs black headliner and I agree with him now I have the car). Black will also no show up small peoples grubby finger prints...!

I got the leather pack plus more for the arm rests than the instrument cowl - but I think it definitely adds a touch of class and comfort.

Cup holder is a funny story... My last car (BMW 135i convertible) had one cup holder and it was in a stupid place half way under the arm rest... As such my Mrs would hound me about how her Mini had 2 sensibly placed cup holders and my expensive/stupid car didn't! So when looking at new cars it became a running joke that the first thing we checked out was the cup holder situation! So this option was a must have for that comedy reason alone.
I can report I use it often for both keeping Coke cool and tea warm and it does a very good job of both! Note it is only 1 out if the 2 in the centre console that is climate controlled...

Next question...!!??

I'm running out of questions which is a good sign lol.

Climate Controlled Cup Holder = Keeping my coke cold - SOLD!
Though I live in 32C-36C pretty much year round during the day. So does it work on a hot summer day for you?

Pano Sunroof is just not an option.... Expensive for us as well though honestly in my climate I would pay to remove it!

What is this "Retractable and extendable sun visor" is it just a fancy name? Saw it in my options list too.

Think I'm done for question except for maybe... Why is the sky blue? Lol

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Cup holder doesn't seem to mind about the outside temp, as the A/C is always making it ~20C in the cabin the cup holder is only ever working to drop the cup below that temp, not the outside temp.

The extendable visor allows you to slide it out to cover the whole of the width of the door window once you have popped it off and swung it round to the side. So you swing it out and pull it towards you basically. Without it there is a 4 inch gap from the end of the visor to the B-pillar - and it often seems to be where the sun is! It's an option that costs money here which is ridiculous. I use it often when driving in the evening and the sun is low and to my right (we are RHD here...).

And RE the sky http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/en/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cup holder doesn't seem to mind about the outside temp, as the A/C is always making it ~20C in the cabin the cup holder is only ever working to drop the cup below that temp, not the outside temp.

The extendable visor allows you to slide it out to cover the whole of the width of the door window once you have popped it off and swung it round to the side. So you swing it out and pull it towards you basically. Without it there is a 4 inch gap from the end of the visor to the B-pillar - and it often seems to be where the sun is! It's an option that costs money here which is ridiculous. I use it often when driving in the evening and the sun is low and to my right (we are RHD here...).

And RE the sky http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/en/

Climate Cup Holders makes sense. So once the car cools down it will be great.

Ahh the sunvisor thing I think we get that as standard equipment. Thought it was something exciting lol. Yeah we are RHD as well.

The blue sky... Very interesting

·
Registered
221 Posts
LEATHER PACKAGE PLUS

What does leather package plus exactly bring to my Q5.

So I'm ordering a Q5 2.0TFSI SE with Black Milano Leather. I'm having a little problem understanding what will "Leather Package Plus" gives me.

Will I have white stitching in combination with my Black Milano? Or am I missing something?

Instrument cowling in leather what exactly does that mean?

Can someone please shed light, does it really add to the quality of the interior making it look more upmarket. Maybe show me a picture for visual reference.
In Trinidad the leather package plus brings you a burnt bum

30-32 degrees year round is crying out for the Alcantara option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Trinidad the leather package plus brings you a burnt bum

30-32 degrees year round is crying out for the Alcantara option.
LOL The burnt bum is a very popular feature here in Trinidad. For the really special we get burnt bum control advanced (heated seats) to choose between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd degree burn. People look on in envy!

My VW Tiguan currently has leather with standard heated seats and it was quite funny. First day, Driving around virtually about to die, sweating on the leather and thinking to myself how do people do this I've got to sell this car I can't take this everyday. Then low and behold the heated seats were on for 2 hours.

Anyways with my Tiguan, I just tinted the windows dark enough and it keeps the cabin quite a lot cooler and adds addition security to street crimes (which is why power is a must too
)

I did consider Alcantara but, nothing is quite like leather when you go to the beach, kids track sand in and are wet and then sit on the leather. It just cleans so well. My Tiguan's leather is almost in mint condition and its almost 5 years old with very little care and a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A kinda unimportant question...

So I've seen online the OEM Audi Q5 Premium Textile Floor Mats with Logo. Does this come standard on the Q5s?

Or do I need to special order? I would go down to the dealer but, they currently have no Q5s in stock until December. They are quite popular.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts