Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Was looking for a bit of advice please. I've been looking at a Q5 for about 6 months now (I've currently got an A5 Black Edition) and finally took the plunge and put a deposit on one last week. It was in the dealers group stock and it was delivered to the dealer yesterday. I went to have a look today and it has quite a few swirl marks on the paintwork. I had asked that it wasn't washed before I took delivery of it but it was washed at the dealership it was originally at as it was on display as part of an event they had. They have said they will get the local detailer they sometimes use to remedy this but I'm concerned this will cover them for a short while but they will then return. It's taken the shine (excuse the pun!!) off getting the Q5. I'm not sure what to do as I'm spending a lot of money on a car that doesn't now feel pristine.

·
Still Game
4,726 Posts
A quick polish will hide the swirls and as you suspect they will return when the polish wears off. It seems unlikely the dealer will pay for a machine polish and proper detail?

Machine polishing can remove swirls, but only if done properly and will reduce thickness of the paint. Beware there are many cowboys.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S - Volcano Grey
429 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum, Baxt.

Sorry to hear of the swirls problem with your new Q5 which, IMHO, are unacceptable on a new vehicle, so I would be asking the dealer to pay for a full detail by a company of your choice......good luck!

BTW, what colour, spec and model have you bought?

·
Banned
323 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to detailing cars. If there are lot of swirl marks then the car needs to have a complete detail to complete remove them all. This is achieved by machine polishing.

When a car body is sprayed, it first has a primer sprayed on it(varies between 8 to 38 microns thickness), followed by the base colour coat (varies between 13 and 38 microns), then it finally has had a lacquer layer sprayed over this top paint layer. This lacquer layer thickness varies, but is usually between 38 and 100 microns thick. The whole lot (3 layers) varies in thickness between 67 and 198 microns in thickness. The lacquer layer is the one that has got the swirl marks in it and they can be completely removed without any problems. To understand the whole process, I advise you to read the following:

https://www.theultim...etailing/paint/

As you will read, approximately 3 microns of lacquer is removed (very little) to restore it back to its originally shiny state. This should be done by a professionally trained detailed person.

So to cut to the chase, you have two choices:

Do not accept the car until it has been professionally detailed.
or
Accept the car and take it to a detailer and get it done yourself.

To have it done correctly and coated with ceramic coating it will cost approximately £600 and takes around 2 to 3 days.

I have just had mine done after finding it covered in swirl marks when I picked it up from the dealer. See the following thread.

https://www.myaudiq5...-20-litre-tfsi/

Note. To have the job done completely with a ceramic coating it needs to be kept in doors overnight for the ceramic coating to cure once it has been applied. The following company is the one that did mine and describes the different levels of detailing that can be achieved.

https://www.pinnacledetailing.net/

https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks

Reactions: Texxaco

·
Banned
323 Posts
Hi guys - am I right in saying that after getting all this work done. You will still get swirls if the car is not washed properly ?
Yes. Very easy to get swirl marks. The best way to try and keep them at bay, Is to:

1. Use power washer with snow foam with a lance.
2. Wash off after a short period of time with power washer...minutes.
3. Wash directly afterwards with a good high quality neutral shampoo and wash mitt (not a sponge..not ever) using the 2 bucket method.
4. I power wash after this again, so that all was residue is removed. This removes streaking.
5. **Dry off using micro fibre cloth/towels.**
Best not to do this on hot and sunny days.

Edited. Note (see number 5).** You can dry off using a leaf blower. Many recommendations on the web using this method. Also on youtube.

·
Registered
597 Posts
X2

Even by following the above. You will still cause swirl marks.

The tip is to reduce the amount of swirls.

I was looking at getting a leaf blower to remover touching the car, but Mrs Rappy said that was to OCD :).

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,918 Posts
I use one of these with a hose:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi Old- Geezer. Thanks for the reply. That's how I wash my car too. When I'm using the wash mitt I don't use pressure or rub the mitt over the surface. I float the mitt above the surface so the *noodles* just touch the surface and do their job. I also rinse the mitt thoroughly after I've finished. Even using the two bucket method, it's amazing how some grit still remains in the mitt. I seem to get more slight lines than swirls as I don't do circles with the mitt, just straight along or down each panel. I have a couple of coats of polish on the car and the same using Auto Glym high definition wax on top. So as the fine lines only visible in bright sunlight are in the wax, it only takes a quick buff up with a little wax on the cloth to get the smooth look again with no lines.
I did the polish and wax layers the day after I got the car. 18 months on I wax a couple of panels after I have washed the car. It only takes 10 minutes and I work around the car after each wash rather than spend an hour doing the whole car at once. In my area we seem to get a lot of grit/sand coming down with the rain which gets into the window rubbers and settles on the wiper blades. After it's been raining I use the garden hose along the bottom rubbers of the side windows and use a damp kitchen towel along the window wiper rubbers to save a scratched screen.
Yep its all good fun and time consuming but after spending all that money on a car it's nice to see it clean and shiny. Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Firstly, welcome to the forum, Baxt.

Sorry to hear of the swirls problem with your new Q5 which, IMHO, are unacceptable on a new vehicle, so I would be asking the dealer to pay for a full detail by a company of your choice......good luck!

BTW, what colour, spec and model have you bought?
Thanks for the welcome!! I've gone for a Navarra Blue 2.0 TDI S-Line with Tech Pack and 20" Y Spoke alloys.

The dealership are adamant they will use a local detailer (waiting to get the name!!) so they feel this will remedy the issue, they aren't interested in giving me anything off to go to one of my choosing. Apparently this is being done tomorrow so I'll have to see what it looks like afterwards. I've told them if I don't think it's acceptable I'll cancel the order, which they didn't seem too bothered about to be honest!! I can't believe car dealerships have no idea how to wash a car, my A5 is Sepang Blue and I had a similiar issue with that after the dealership cleaned it....morons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quick polish will hide the swirls and as you suspect they will return when the polish wears off. It seems unlikely the dealer will pay for a machine polish and proper detail?

Machine polishing can remove swirls, but only if done properly and will reduce thickness of the paint. Beware there are many cowboys.
I'm waiting to speak to the detailer so he can explain what he is doing. It's taken the excitement out of getting the car to be honest!!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Firstly there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to detailing cars. If there are lot of swirl marks then the car needs to have a complete detail to complete remove them all. This is achieved by machine polishing.

When a car body is sprayed, it first has a primer sprayed on it(varies between 8 to 38 microns thickness), followed by the base colour coat (varies between 13 and 38 microns), then it finally has had a lacquer layer sprayed over this top paint layer. This lacquer layer thickness varies, but is usually between 38 and 100 microns thick. The whole lot (3 layers) varies in thickness between 67 and 198 microns in thickness. The lacquer layer is the one that has got the swirl marks in it and they can be completely removed without any problems. To understand the whole process, I advise you to read the following:

As you will read, approximately 3 microns of lacquer is removed (very little) to restore it back to its originally shiny state. This should be done by a professionally trained detailed person.

or

To have it done correctly and coated with ceramic coating it will cost approximately £600 and takes around 2 to 3 days.

I have just had mine done after finding it covered in swirl marks when I picked it up from the dealer. See the following thread.

Note. To have the job done completely with a ceramic coating it needs to be kept in doors overnight for the ceramic coating to cure once it has been applied. The following company is the one that did mine and describes the different levels of detailing that can be achieved.

https://www.pinnacledetailing.net/

Thanks for all the information. I'm trying to speak to the detailer tomorrow so they can explain what they are actually doing!!

·
Still Game
4,726 Posts
I'm waiting to speak to the detailer so he can explain what he is doing. It's taken the excitement out of getting the car to be honest!!
I wouldn't put too much faith in a dealer detail, it will look good for a month - but better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up my new Daytona Grey Q5 last month. This is the third Audi I've had with Daytona (boring I know) but I find it pretty good when it comes to keeping its shine with no swirling even when using commercial car washes.

However, I don't believe the paint finish is as good on the Q5 as with my previous two A6's as under certain light conditions you can see a slight orange peel effect on all the door panels. Nothing terrible, but certainly not as good as with previous cars. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
323 Posts
Picked up my new Daytona Grey Q5 last month. This is the third Audi I've had with Daytona (boring I know) but I find it pretty good when it comes to keeping its shine with no swirling even when using commercial car washes.
Swirling effects do not show up on light coloured cars. Nevertheless, they are still there, but never bother the owners.

·
Banned
323 Posts
To clarify, washing regime. Not my instructions, but as advised by the detailer who did my car.

Yes. Very easy to get swirl marks. The best way to try and keep them at bay, is to:

1. Use power washer with snow foam with a lance.

2. Wash off after a short period of time, perhaps about 3 minutes. Never allow to dry!

3. Wash directly afterwards with a good high quality neutral shampoo and wash mitt only using vertical motions. Never use side to side or circular motions, and never ever use a sponge as grit sticks to it like Sh!t. Use the 2 bucket method with a grit guard in place in the bucket that has the clear water in it. Make sure the face of the mitt that contacts the car is rubbed vigorously on the grit guard to remove contaminants.

4. Power wash again, so that all was residue is removed. This removes streaking.

5. **Dry off using large micro fibre towels.**
Edited. Note**. Many recommendations on the web to use a leaf blower, even shown on youtube.

Best not to do this on hot and sunny days.

By the way, my businessman friend of some years, says " I wash my car once a year if it needs it or not"!

·
Still Game
4,726 Posts

However, I don't believe the paint finish is as good on the Q5 as with my previous two A6's as under certain light conditions you can see a slight orange peel effect on all the door panels. Nothing terrible, but certainly not as good as with previous cars. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the paint is softer now we use water based rather than not toxic chemicals. You may have noticed similar using water based rather than solvent based gloss paint at home?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are right Missile, watch out for the hedges and roadside bushes especially on narrow country lanes. Newer cars get marked much easier and be careful polishing the marks out, it's easy to leave a blush in the lacquer.

·
Banned
323 Posts
You are right Missile, watch out for the hedges and roadside bushes especially on narrow country lanes. Newer cars get marked much easier and be careful polishing the marks out, it's easy to leave a blush in the lacquer.
Exactly! That is what had happened to my car when it had been driven down narrow country lanes in Devon, and the reason it had to be detailed.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Firstly there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to detailing cars by blacktiedetailing. If there are lot of swirl marks then the car needs to have a complete detail to complete remove them all. This is achieved by machine polishing.

or

Car Detailing | Witney | Oxfordshire | XPEL PPF | Ceramic Coatings |

Thanks a lot for information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts