Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Q5 is on order and slated for delivery end September/early October. I should know within two weeks whether the deal will go ahead based on the p/x offered on my XC60. I have been so impressed with the XC60 that the deal will have to work financially for me to swap.

Anybody on here driven an XC60 before ordering a Q5, and what were your deciding factors in buying the Q5 over the XC60? I had a Q5 as a loan over a weekend and appreciate there are +'s and -'s for both cars. Decision day approaches!

·
Registered
130 Posts
We test drove the XC60 and Q5 back to back. Very much liked the extra torque of the 2.4D in the Volvo, however we felt the slush box auto was not in the same league as the stronic in the Q5 and also severely affected the fuel economy. The equivalent spec Volvo was cheaper and we were offered nearly 20% discount however the poor residuals meant the Q5 was the better choice financially.

As for drivability and performance I do not think there was much in it either way and to be honest if sportiness is what you are after than you are not looking at the right sector of cars

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response MrRob.

It's the practicality I am after in this sort of car, not performance, and I feel from that perspective they both fit the bill.

I have the 163bhp D3 Geartronic and personally find the box very good. The s-tronic I drove had a very slight jerkiness in the low gears, which surprised me. Economy wise I average around 39mpg combined and my test drive in the Q5 appeared to indicate it wouldn't match that, even allowing for the tight new one I drove. However the facelift mpg is supposed to be better and a slight difference in fuel consumption almost pales into insignificance (usually) compared to depreciation.

Residuals-wise I am driving the XC60 model that appears to hold it's value best, albeit not as well as the Q5. However it's all about cost to change and, with the discounts on offer from Volvo, the sums have worked well enough for me to be on my third XC60. It is nice to have a change from time to time and I am looking forward to seeing if the sums work. I should know next week.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Surprised the Q5 box was jerky. The s tronic on mine is so silky smooth, in comparison to e.g. an X3. Never driven an automatic volvo.

If you are happy with the Volvo and get good service from the dealer? It pains me to say it, but might be better the devil you know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I drove the same test route in the Q5 and XC60 and averaged 44mpg in the Volvo and 47 in the Audi however I think the difference would be exaggerated in more urban driving conditions. I must admit the Volvo was extremely tempting and I really like th styling. As missile suggests, maybe better what you know

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of the three XC60's I have owned I have found the on-board fuel computer to be 6-7% optimistic, so you were probably getting closer to 41mpg on your test drive. Has anybody done the sums on the Audi comparing the display with real-world numbers??

It was amusing when the dealer said "sometimes you have to go with your heart and not your head" after I had showed him a spreadsheet with lots of numbers in it.

I think he was taken aback when I said that if I went with my heart I would be sticking with the Volvo.

It's not a bad position to be in, having the choice of two excellent cars. Assuming the numbers work I see the Audi as a pretty low risk option.

I did look at the X3 but found the seats guite uncomfortable, there was a lot of wind noise at motorway speeds and, above all, the attitude of the dealers really put me off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The x3 was my preference especially with the new 8 speed auto. But by the time we specked it to the same as an s line plus with the other options we had specked on the Audi also it was over 45k list. It didn't help that BMW's best offer was 6% discount so we went for the Audi following head rather than heart.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What sort of discounts are people getting on Q5's? I see Drive The Deal are offering IRO 10%, but can you expect to match that from a main dealer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What sort of discounts are people getting on Q5's? I see Drive The Deal are offering IRO 10%, but can you expect to match that from a main dealer?
But drive the deal get the deals from a main dealer anyway. I used their guide price as a bargaining tool with 4 main dealers - and got a better deal. Hard bargaining and a bit of huff and puff - but did a deal in the end.

Reactions: Ransman

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got 12% from Tetbury audi, Ordered end July arriving at the dealer today or Sat 8th Sept around 7 weeks. Think it just depens if the dealer has close unsold build slots that he would rather make a small margin on etc

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The deal is back on track so I should pick it up within the next two weeks. Limiting factor now is the DVLA and their paperwork to do the plate change as the car is at the dealers.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Collection date now fixed for Wed 10th October.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Collection date now fixed for Wed 10th October.
Enjoy! That's the same day I pick up my new BMW X6 40d after deciding to chop in the Q5 after 10 months of ownership.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts