Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So glad a forum like this exists. I'm a current 2013 TT owner but, due to the impending pitter patter of tiny feet, I'm upgrading to a Q5.

Current plan is to get the s line plus with the 3.0 TDI engine (...I just can't give up a little oomph!) with the black styling pack. Has anyone driven the 3.0 yet? What's it like to drive? Is there a kick in the back when you put your foot down?

Could lead of quick questions....

1. Colour. Current TT is Daytona Grey with the black styling pack. The missus loves this combo (so do I) but I wonder if I'd like a change.....id like it to look a little sporty so was either thinking of getting Daytona again or potentially lava grey (does this look a little black?). As an out there option...volcano red? I've a fear this may look a little orange....

2. Has anyone got the Audi Drive Select? I like the idea of putting it in sport mode when the missus and little one aren't there but have read that everyone things the normal ride is quiet firm? Interested to hear if anyone thinks it makes a difference.

Looking forward to joining the fleet of Q5 drivers in April!

Cheers for comments in advance

·
Still Game
4,974 Posts
TT to a Q5 is bit of a leap.

3.0TDI is a great engine ........ more of a high speed cruiser than your TT.

Not a fan of Volcano Red, but each to their own.

Drive Select makes no difference to the suspension settings.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Glacier White is a great colour on the Q5, in my humble opinion ofcourse.
Your wife might appreciate the advanced parking system (rear reversing camera)
Don't be fooled into thinking drive select does anything much at all, I hardly think about using it anymore.
Opt for 'standard suspension' as opposed to 's-line suspension' if you want a perfect, not too hard, ride.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I had Mk1 and Mk2 TT's immediately before moving up (literally) to the Q5. It was a strange move like yours but I'd had the pleasure of TT ownership for over 8 yrs. However, you will see from a post under Reader's Drives (Switch from 2.0TDI to 3.0TDI) that choosing the 2.0TDI meant that I missed the sparkle of rapid acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the 2.0TDI is still a very comfortable cruiser, but on trips to North Wales over the mountain roads I had to think twice at my usual overtaking points. You will be very happy with your 3.0TDI. It's a bigger, heavier motor than your TT, but by golly it shifts!

·
Registered
768 Posts
The 3 litre gives me sufficient enough power for me not to regret my decision about choosing that over the SQ5 or 2 litre.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Lava Grey + Drive Select here.
Had Daytona on a previous 3.0 Q5 (lovely colour) but Lava on current SQ5 is great too - more dark grey than black and has a lovely sparkle in the sunshine.
3.0 engine is fabulous, 3.0 BiTurbo (SQ5) is stonkingly quick. Dynamic setting = Hooligan mode.
Suspension settings are irrelevant, it's the wheel / tyre combo that make the difference - firm (but not too harsh) ride on 21" wheels, a tiny bit softer on 20's.
Good luck.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You should seriously look at an SQ5. The 3.0 Q5 are bit in between and thus not that popular, most go for the 2.0 or the SQ5. Residuals are mega strong on the SQ5 which helps and the sweet exhaust noises you will never tire off.

Get one with 21" wheels and it looks great while riding so well. As regards colour I went Ibis white so that I could go for the black/magma (red) interior which makes it so special. On the SQ5 the two tone interior does not cost any extra which is great.

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
952 Posts
Audi Drive Select doesn't make any difference to the suspension/ride, just the engine/gearbox/steering behaviour. And its really important on the SQ5 as it lets you keep the exhaust noises through all driving modes.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Its certainly an upgrade from a TT for sure.
The 3.0 has been around since the Q5s launch so lots of people have them, however popularity of the engined wained once the SQ was release.

Colour, most work well, white is certainly a hit and works very well. I'd avoid darker colours for sure.
As above, The Q5 doesnt come with Air suspension or MR, so ADS will make no difference to the ride, the best thing for that is deselecting the sline suspension and sticking with 19s. ADS is pretty much pointless even on the SQ.

Q5 doesn't have a sport mode, unless you go for the Autobox and all that does is move the change up/down thresholds.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It is all down to personal choice but given that you are coming from a TT I would select the S line suspension otherwise you may find the Q5 a bit soft. Ride is firmer than standard but it does improve the cars response on the twisty bits and the reduced float,bear in mind that the centre of gravity is considerably higher than a TT, from the firmer damping means the family are less likely to feel sick if you are pushing on cross country.
Ride is better on smaller rims/taller tyres but steering proportionately less responsive. Horses for courses and all that.

I would drive both suspension set ups before deciding.

Colour again a very personal choice. I gave Volcano a serious look as I wanted to avoid the 50 (not quite but there are a few) shades of grey that make up most of the colour options on the list but saw one and felt it was too orange for me. Misano wonderful but not convinced it is worth the big premium on a Q5. Surprising as it is an S Line colour which costs the same as metallic on other S line cars.

Very happy with Scuba blue mind you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It is all down to personal choice but given that you are coming from a TT I would select the S line suspension otherwise you may find the Q5 a bit soft. Ride is firmer than standard but it does improve the cars response on the twisty bits and the reduced float,bear in mind that the centre of gravity is considerably higher than a TT, from the firmer damping means the family are less likely to feel sick if you are pushing on cross country.
Ride is better on smaller rims/taller tyres but steering proportionately less responsive. Horses for courses and all that.

I would drive both suspension set ups before deciding.

Colour again a very personal choice. I gave Volcano a serious look as I wanted to avoid the 50 (not quite but there are a few) shades of grey that make up most of the colour options on the list but saw one and felt it was too orange for me. Misano wonderful but not convinced it is worth the big premium on a Q5. Surprising as it is an S Line colour which costs the same as metallic on other S line cars.

Very happy with Scuba blue mind you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was warned away from volcano red by two different dealerships on the basis it would have a negative affect on future resale values. Went for glacier white and after initial doubts it's very nice but I am considering changing the car next year for one in Sepang.

·
Banned
489 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, very useful! Order has gone in today (v exciting!). Went for:

3.0 TDI S-line plus
Lava grey
Black styling pack
Titanium alloys
Heated seats
Interior light package
Fine napa leather seats
Bang & Olufsen
Flat bottom steering wheel

One final question though, has anyone had the lifeshine treatment? I didn't get it on my TT and haven't been unhappy, but does it make a noticeable difference?

Now to sit patiently and wait.....oh joy!

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Lifeshine is good if they throw it in for free, otherwise ding pay for it. The treatment costs them very little to apply and they get a big commission back from Aotoglym or whoever.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Forget the dealer stuff (As mentioned above). Go for a New Car Detail with a paint protection product.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice choice of car Teamdabby. Look forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks chaps.

Has anyone had a New Car Detail applied to their Q5 (not the one supplied by Audi)? If so, do you have any suggestions of the sort of thing (or place) that I could get done instead? I've not had any experience of this before.

Thanks so much

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.