Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting tempted to order a new SQ5 but want some reliable info on when this current body shape is likely to be replaced. In some places I read 2014 and others said 2015 model year. Given the model year can change earlier in the previous year does that mean middle of next year.

I would hate to take delivery of a new SQ5 and then find there is a new shape a few months or even a year away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got the same worry for my SQ5 (due Mar 14) so been thinking of the Porsche Macan.....

Can't find any reliable info out there at the moment.

End of 2015 will be when the Q5 is 7 years old.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm looking at ordering an SQ5 and have a few observations-
1. Looking at the priorities (Q7 is next), I would guess at 2016 for the next Q5.
2. The Macan is billed as being on the "next -generation" platform shared with the Q5. I suspect that is simply marketing hyperbole - the wheelbase is identical which suggests to me it is very much on the current platform with a few rivets changed.
3. I generally go for "facelifted" vehicles on the basis that a number of chronic issues will have been engineered out. Despite all the stuff about millions of miles of testing etc., new cars always seem to have things that go wrong (that shouldn't) and which the manufacturers are keen to keep quiet. I bought a new facelifted X5 in 2004, a couple of months after a colleague bought a pre-facelifted car - the reliability and lack of niggles in the facelift was very noticeable. Obviously not so good if you like the latest fashion!

·
Registered
20 Posts
And just to add, I am waiting to look at the facelifted X3 (due in the next month or so) to sit alongside the X4.
No major changes forecast so I suspect the SQ5 will still shade it over the X3 335d.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I would suggest the new Q5 will coincide with the new Mexican factory due to open mid 2016.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mmm... that wouldn't have me hanging on for the new model.
Spartanburg SC for an X3 is one thing but Mexico...no thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
gobiman, you describe well the type of issue I faced with buying a £43k Evoque back in 2011 and I'm sure that the new full fat Range Rover and Sports are not without problems. I'd never be first in the queue again!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok ok, I'm convinced.

The new Macan will be niggly and we could still get 2 yrs with the SQ5 (if it ever arrives) before the new model is out.

I'm driving the pre-facelifted Q5 at the moment (from new). Niggles have been

- Judder when pulling off in 1st gear (clutch eventually replaced)
- SatNav broke/froze (replaced under warranty)
- Oil level indicator saying top up/remove oil at the same time (sorted with a recall/software update)

Extremely relieved the first two didn't happen outside the warranty!

Wonder if any of those occured in the current face-lifted Q5.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Also, consider that S models will follow later, so probably 2017/18 for the new SQ5.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have read similar to Jose, 2016 debut for new Q5 with 2017 start, then 2018 (probably about a year into production) will come the SQ5.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I never buy a new model; I always wait for the facelift version, taking out most of the bugs

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Asked my dealer, they reckon 2016. Mid 2016 would be even better although I really can't see it being so far away.

Porsche Macan is interesting but has anyone here tried to order one. I emailed dealer today who said they can take orders but can't yet give build dates as they won't know allocation for a few weeks. Some people are reporting delivery as 2015!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
No way! Thats surprising as a mate of mine just ordered a Cayenne which is due delivery in 2 months!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cayenne is probably a bit of older news now, the Macan will be the hip and trendy new thing. May give the SQ5 residuals a bit of a hit is the problem.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've converted to a Diesel Lover so I would never go for a Macan as their S Diesel is a crappy 250hp engine, and so unless there is a Diesel Turbo I think Macan's are out of the picture for me

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes its 258bhp 0-60 in 6.3 secs. Guess the performance isn't too bad but not up to SQ5 levels.

·
Registered
103 Posts
gobiman, you describe well the type of issue I faced with buying a £43k Evoque back in 2011 and I'm sure that the new full fat Range Rover and Sports are not without problems. I'd never be first in the queue again!
Doesn't matter when you buy any Range Rover: Introduction of a new model or end of the run, it will still go wrong!!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I always thought the RR sports were rock solid.

I'm kinda tempted by one - support british industry and screw Audi as they don't give a damn about the UK market even though from a sales point of view, its massive for them..

·
Registered
103 Posts
The amount of clients that have had problems with RR Discos, full fat RRs, Evoques and Sports is ridiculous.

Electrical gremlins mainly.

Recently had one customer with an Evoque given a full refund after 8 months of ownership as the dealer had the car more than he did!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts