Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching web recently and hit information about new product from Dension - iCon Drive. In many ways it is similar to already known Gateway products, but has some new interesting features:
- In addition to be audio gateway it also emulates TV tuner, so can display video on MMI screen.
- It has video input, so it can do things similar to @Kramer achieved with Kufatec module (I think it was Kufatec), like mirroring iPhone screen to MMI display or connecting auxiliary video sources.
- On top of managing iDevice to play music from (Artists, Songs, Playlists, Genres, etc.) it can display more detailed song information including artwork album!
- While connected via dock connector it can display all types of media files stored on device and live streams from services like YouTube on MMI screen.
- Using the same connection it can display picture of person calling you on phone (if picture included with contact at device).
- It can also grab notifications from iPhone to display these on screen (SMS, Facebook notification)

So it seems to be first of new kind of devices greatly expanding functionality of MMI.
Here is the link to product page: http://www.dension.com/product/icon-drive
There you can see more info about this module and also see it in action installed in BMW car.

Now, the bad news; for today it is only compatible with Audi A6 MMI 3... I exchanged mail with Dension folks however, and the good news is that development of this module is in progress and soon we should see more devices to be compatible with it, luckily also MMI 3G HDD as we know from our Q5s should also be supported!

·
Registered
13 Posts
nice! sounds great

·
Banned
842 Posts
Any update on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunatelly not yet... Dension updated their compatibility charts about 2 weeks ago, but so far iCon Drive remain compatible only with A6 MMI3... I'm checking this regularly, as I'm very interested in this product. I'll post update as soon something changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts