Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Belated HNY to all!
According to the Daily Telegraph's Honest John (who's opinions I generally rate pretty highly) the new X3 is slightly better than the Q5
Anyone here driven the new X3 and the Q5 and would like to comment?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Guys,
Belated HNY to all!
According to the Daily Telegraph's Honest John (who's opinions I generally rate pretty highly) the new X3 is slightly better than the Q5
Anyone here driven the new X3 and the Q5 and would like to comment?
Expensive, not well made inside and not up to BMW's usual high standards - I was very disappointed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove both a new X3 (SE) and Q5(S line 170 TDI Stronic) on the same 60 mile test drive, after about 5 miles on the motorway I was on the point of returning the X3 but I continued. I drive a BMW 330D at the moment and really wanted the X3 to win over the Q5 but it failed which really surprised me.
- It looks ugly compared to the Q5
- Fuel economy was not as good based on the MPG display (yes it's not accurate but it was the same test for both cars) which I reset on both cars 38MPG with the X3 v 41.5 from the Q5 same journey same conditions, I think that the paper figures look better on the X3 due to the Start Stop system Q5 doesn't have this on the S Tronic box.
- Engine sounds rough when pushed compared to the Q5
- Lots of wind noise off the wing mirrors
- Compared to my 3 Series Coupe the finish of the X3 is not as good and just doesn't match the Q5 for quality

It's a subjective decision at the end both cars are good but for me, a committed BMW driver, the Q5 won hands down, order placed delivery due April :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
BMW Owner here 530i
Ordered a Q5 without testing the X3 based on
1-Design
2-Interior quality
3-No petrol available on X3 (I know how gruff the 2.0 Diesel) believe me, i tried it in a 520d and it is apparently worse in the X3
4-Performance of the 2.0 TFSI just could not be beaten in this class

·
Registered
45 Posts
Expensive, not well made inside and not up to BMW's usual high standards - I was very disappointed.
Thanks for the comments
This time last year when we were looking for a new car we took out an X1 for a test drive.
I knew that there was going to be a new X3 later in the year so there didn't see any point in buying the old model.
I thought the X1 was OK although a little cramped and the build quality did seem pretty poor compared to BMW's I'd owned in the nineties.
As we were cruising along a stretch of motorway we were overtaken by a Q5 and my wife said I want one of those...so we did!

Might take an X3 out for a spin when they introduce a petrol model

1 - 5 of 5 Posts