Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes higher Hp what is the torque will have to look up the Audi site, I have noticed the torque has not changed much over the range just Hp revs up of course and load off the engine. My A3 is only 8 months old so may be interesting deal coming my way hopefully...

·
Banned
489 Posts
I wonder if it really is a 'new tdi' or just a remapped version of the 175 (177) we have now?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Its very new and more economical. It is fitted to the current A3 and Golf GTi. Called EA288 engine. I dought it will be fitted to the Q5 until the new model arrives.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EA288 MDB powerplant shares only the bore spacing with the previous diesel engine.

A number of changes have been made to help reduce emissions, such as: use of a complex exhaust gas recirculation system (with high pressure EGR and a cooled low-pressure EGR); integration of the water-cooled intercooler and the EGR valve with the intake manifold, which also improves throttle response; and packaging the exhaust after-treatment components close to the engine by combining the DPF with the SCR Catalyst.

The engine also has a number of modifications to help minimize friction and optimize fuel economy: there are low-friction bearings for the camshaft and balancer shafts, piston rings that have less pre-tension, and the oil pump is a two-stage device with volumetric flow regulation.

I would guess the 150 and 180 version will arrive later this year.
Main driver for this engine is EU6 which has to be implemented for newly designed models by 1/9/14 and all existing model ranges by 1/9/15 (in the EU)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I also beleive that the cooling system, has been upgraded so that the main water pump is off on initial start up until the temperature reaches a predetermined limit. This improves warm up and thermal efficiency. The 3.0 ltr TDI has this already which is one of the reasons why the mpg difference is not far off the 2.0ltr tdi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts