Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Having delibrated long and hard between a Q5 and Evoque, have finally come down on the side of the Q5 (though still having trouble deciding between the 2.0 and 3.0 TDI S LIne Plus!) - even if some elements of the Evoque were better, especially the Meridian hifi compared to the B&O, but then I have a Meridian system at home (which cost £100K) so maybe I'm being biased...used to have an XF and the B&W system was leagues better thn the B&O too...but whilst the quality of the hifi is very important to me,the lack of rear room (leg and shoulder) in the Evoque was one of the key deciding factors - even though, strangely, it appears to have more room in the front than the Q5. Being honest, I think I also preferred the interior styling of the Evoque although, there's a noticable difference in the quality, the Evoque looks great and in isolation, I don't think anyone would have any complaints, but as you move your eye away from the centre of the dashboard, plastics get harder and shinier, and really doesn't compare to the Q5. Also, rear view in the Evoque is simply horrible and it does feel that style has taken precedence over practicaliy and perhaps even safety, well, at least my confidence in reversing, seeing what's behind me etc

Anyway, of the options below, is there any which really dont make any sense or have I missed any obvious ones? Thought about the Advanced Technology pack but I have a feeling I would find the ACC unnecesary and would probably end up turning it off. Anyone have this?

Adaptive headlights
Advanced Key
Audi drive select
Audi Parking System Advanced
Audi side assist
Climate cup holder
Damper control
Electric / memory seats and mirrors
Heated front seats
High-beam assist
Interior light package
Black styling package
DAB digital radio
Rear Bench Plus
Sound package
Technology package - High
Tyre pressure loss indicator

Colourwise, I'm thinking of Teak Brown although my dealer doesn't have a Q5 in the colour - any thoughts on that with the black styling pack?

Many thanks

Sally

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a Meridian system for some years powering my Quad Esl's at home, now I use valves & pure silver wiring throughout, I also had a car with 27 speakers 7 channels of amplification as well as a digital parametric graphic equaliser that used the home set up as a base line for sound quality,

At that time I used to lecture at sound off's & shows about fitting sound systems in cars, I also test sound equipment for friends in the audio business .

I find the B & O lacking only in ultimate base depth I have tested the system down to a useful 20hz. I am playing with the idea of fitting a folded horn base unit, however Our Q5 has DAB (FM will disappear soon) and is fed with DVD-RW 320 kb discs recorded by my 17 year old son or on his I-pad; as well as CD's this enables the system to sound at it's best, the car I listened to at the showroom sounded clean but gutless with no soul on FM...

I regret not having adaptive head lights and the Q5 arrived without 3 way Air con as I thought it was standard (it is on 3ltr) as did the sales man we do have Memory seats and mirrors, my wife is 6' I am 5'9" and 290 lbs; on our "normal" keys after set up the seat adjustment works when unlocking the Q5 & is then ready to get in, depending whose key is used, if you then then hold button down windows all open, ditto the reverse just make sure the OFF light on drivers door is unilluminated;

Our car is white the jury is still out on Black styling package!

The Q5 needs front sensors I recently went through a 6' 6" width restriction set on an angle part way through I asked my son to get out to help, apparently there was less than 1" clearance I could not see the wheel arches.
Heated seats are great at 4am in winter.

I had a slow puncture repaired on Friday my wife had not noticed the tyre pressure was down to 23psi (a use for the TP loss indicator), Fortunately I did notice when I did my pre driving inspection even so there was slight wear on O/S edge of the F/N/S tyre car has done 3500 miles since new, before you think anti feminism I don't have the MMI sat nav because my wife is only bettered at map reading by a couple of friends who are both ex special forces.

I notice you have not included the collapsible spare wheel which comes with electric pump, several years ago I drove out of a tyre depot near a hospital with 5 new tyres, in 250 yards a scalpel had penetrated the side wall therefore irreparable damage we travel a lot to our Grandchildren in deep and darkest Dorset I would not want either of us to be stuck for want of a spare; since the subwoofer sits in the spare wheel if opted for that tightens up the base.

The rest is a matter of personal preference. Oh the q5 will out drive an Evoke on anything but Ben Nevis or ploughed field but will still be a Land Rover not an AUDI...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John. Having listened at length to the B&O (both using cds and Apple Lossless on my Ipod, i find it ok but lacking transparency, dynanism and attack with an artifical quality to the extremes of treble and bass - plus the bass is muddled and muffled but then it's only a £550 upgrade and a bargain at that. - my main hifi speakers (special finish Meridan DSP 8000) cost more than the car! i believe 3 zone climate control and a spare wheel are now standard..
Everyone seems to hate the idea of Teak Brown! Even the dealer said it may adversely affect resale values but I'm not really concened about that. As I said, I've never actually seen it on a Q5 but it looks great on an A6 Allroad! May have a rethik but I think all the standard colours are pretty dre and may have to go for an Exclusive, but dealer told me that will add months to the delivery timescale

Again many thanks for your guidance.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A collapsible spare is now standard on all new Q5's, which is a big plus for Audi as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Think its just us but we think the evoque looks like a tank....i asked the missus if she wanted one when they 1st came out, she declined thank god. Her response was they look like an army vehicle thats had the roof chopped off and huge wing mirrors added on. Personal opinion i suppose :)

i went for acc, i was more interested in the brake guard function to be honest ,great addition for keeping the wife and kids safe.

i really cant hear much difference in sound quality between the systems mentioned as long as the source material is good.. I thought the B and O sounded great esp for the money

PS my whole music studio didn't cost that much :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sally did you try adjusting the treble,mid & base on MMI also surround balance this is vital as it will sound cr8p until set up properly takes a while some how surround gets out of phase, I used a phase test disc and set F/R balance & L/R centre on dial snaped into focus. As you will know out of phase could account for loss of bass and woolliness, However I doubt it will ever sound near as good as your domestic set up for £550.. ignore gala as it only sets volume etc at speed. Apple lossless does not seem to work so well on mine. I have not tried hard drive .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Sally,

Nice proposed spec on the car, my thoughts:

Adaptive cruise control was something I thought I would never use, but actually I've used it a lot - especially useful on long stretches of average speed check sections on motorways. Also the braking guard is nice to have and has kicked in a few times when someone in front has decided to slam on.

Head light assist - wouldn't bother, doesn't really seem to work that great and just annoys me that I can't just have normal full beam on or off without having to use this feature. Pretty useless when on winding country roads and you just end up blinding people or distract yourself trying to turn the bloody thing off.

Have you thought of getting the dynamic steering if you are getting the drive select and damper control? I really like the dynamic steering feature and you can notice the difference I think, nice and precise when in dynamic mode and then light and soft in comfort mode - the auto feature works well though.

Oh and get the 3.0 TDi if you can afford it
lovely engine, nice and punchy and the updated engine in the facelift is even more economical than before.

Good luck!

P.S - you now see more Evoques on the road than Q5's - at least in Cheshire you do and to be honest I liked them at first but have gone off them after seeing so many.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help. I actually did think about waiting for the Macan but then I want a new car ASAP and my local Porsche dealer had no confirmed launch date nor any price. They did mention there was some speculation the Macan would start at circa £5000 more than S LIne Q5 but their view was the price differential would be far higher, and not much cheaper than the Cayenne. I suppose, like hifis and TVs, there is always something new in the pipeline and who knows I may wait for the Macan then find something else is coming out and then decide wait for that...so better to order the Q5!
In terms of the options, Moonmonkey thanks for the insight - maybe I'll go for the ACC and drop the high beam assist, didn't realise the limitations of that, and, of course, the dealer doesn't tell you anything negative! Has anyone any experience of Side Assist as I thought this would be useful than the ACC, shame you can't buy these together in a pack, really, have no interest in the Lane Assist.
As for the B&O, yep played around with it for ages - maybe unusually for a girl, hifi is one of my great passions! Hence spending 100k on my all digital Meridian system, which is the best I've ever heard at any price - I'm an Elvis fanatic, with around 10,000 Elvis cds so wanted a sytem which allow the best possible sound on what are, compared to modern recordings, not spectacular sound wise - although saying that the early 60s stuff (Elvis Is Back) is the best recorded of any Elvis recordings and they still compare to anything from more recent days, but this is an Audi forum not a hifi or Elvis one and I'm getting offf the subject! You clearly can't expect much for £550 in hifi terms and as I said before it's a bargain for that but it's nowhere near as good as the B&W in my Jaguar or the Meridan in the Evoque, but then neither of those will compare to what I have at home either!
Heard lots of different views on the Evoque, some love it, others hate it - I really like it but, as I mentioned, style has compromised visibility. Still haven't manged to see a Teak Brown Q5 and wanting to order, may go with an Exlcusive colour, probably Shiraz...Every other Q5 i see seems to be white and definitely want to avoid that or any of the grey and silver shades...with the Shiraz will ditch the black syling pack! Again, thanks to eveyone.

Sally

·
Registered
111 Posts
£100K home stereo system to listen to.....Elvis WTF!!!
Sell it, buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and listen to some decent music in it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You're obviously an idiot, so best just to ignore you...
Sally, do you need an acoustic room for a stereo like that? You must have a £1m+ house just for it to be worthwhile. I wouldn't bother with the Q5, the B&O is less than premium in my experience. Why not go for one of the better Audi's with the full £8k B&O sound system?

·
Registered
578 Posts
£100K home stereo system to listen to.....Elvis WTF!!!
Sell it, buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and listen to some decent music in it.
I think it's a wind up. This is the strangest thing I have ever read on this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sally, do you need an acoustic room for a stereo like that? You must have a £1m+ house just for it to be worthwhile. I wouldn't bother with the Q5, the B&O is less than premium in my experience. Why not go for one of the better Audi's with the full £8k B&O sound system?
Not sure what has the value of my house got to do with it, but yes, it's worth significantly more than £1 million. I need a car where I can fit people in the back and that can drive in bad weather ( but don't want to spend more than 50K on) - neither of which my XK convertible does, although I will be keeping it for when I drive on my own (or just me and my boyfriend) or when we don't have snow ( I live in Edinburgh - a mild winter last year but a killer the year before!). As for my hifi, yes, it lives in a sonically improved room. Hifi and music are my passions, I like cars but not to the same degree....I love my XK, hence why I considered the Evoque but not much room and no rear visibility....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would recommend the low cost/high value addition of Hill Hold Assist - great in town/traffic lights etc - when you stop the 'hand' brake goes on, when you accelerate it goes off! You could even use it on a hill!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd recommend the winter wheel package if you are looking to use your Q5 in bad weather/snow etc. The quattro doesn't help much on large summer tyres, you need decent winter tyres to get any traction in snow and ice. I believe these are available in the accessories brochure.

·
Banned
842 Posts
If money is no object then I really regret not getting the climate cup holder!!!

·
Banned
801 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts