Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to drop in and say hi and thank you guys for a great site. Having spent weeks thinking about my next purchase I had decided to buy the evoque (I know I can hear the groans!!). However a really poor experience at the LR dealership with a salesman who just wasn't interested in my business resulted in me looking at the Q5 as an alternative. A google search threw up your site and following some research and reading your reviews I decided to visit my local Audi dealership last weekend. They were fantastic and having spent just one night thinking over the options I placed my order for an SQ5.

So a big thanks to that LR Salesman and you guys!!

And so the wait begins.........

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Jamaw and welcome. I don't know how Land Rover is doing so well as I've had the same experience as you with their dealers and having had two of their products i cant see me having any more. The Evoque I think is one of those motors that looks good in one colour and awful in another. The SQ5 is just getting better by the day, best all round package I've driven and makes me feel I'm in something special each time i get in

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi jamaw,

I nearly made the same mistake as well.
The LR salesman i spoke to was so up himself i just walked out after 4 mins with him.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
There are an incredible number of people that don't know/care about cars - as such this breeds people that are willing to make the second most expensive purchase of their life with no research!
The Evoque wins as it does look modern, eye catching and 'cool', and anyone, car head or not, knows about the LR brand heritage as a solid, reliable workhorse - sadly (particularly with the end of the Defender finally happening in the last few days) this is no longer a true reflection of the whole brand IMO (and many other peoples as well!).

We actually took a Discovery and Evoque for a back to back road test. We thought we would love the Evoque, but much preferred the Disco. We took one for a complimentary off road day - which was AWESOME. VERY capable vehicle - if I wanted a proper off roader come family car, this would be a very strong contender (though I know people with Discos and they have a lot of problems as well...).

The dealer experience is usually nothing to do with the brand either, and actually of the franchise or local management - but most of all, your LR experience is how most dealerships are run...
The key to a good experience is preparation. I have wasted a lot of sales guys time test driving cars I have no intention of buying (usually super cars!). At the very least call an hour ahead (this is usually enough for anything other than £100k+ super cars). 99.9% of people arriving unannounced off the street are just there to ogle.

Before I learnt how to do it properly (and a major contributing factor to my now knowledge) I walked into an Audi dealership ready to buy a TT - the lack of anyone willing to help, coupled with the 6+ month lead time (I eventually found someone to help!) pushed me to BMW and a 135i (much better car it turns out). The experience at BMW was totally different as I called and asked to speak to the guy who sold my Mrs her Mini - so had a good way in and qualified myself.

Its frustrating that a willing consumer looking for a £50k product has to prep their sales guy, but it is minimal effort and if you look at it from the dealership point of view, they don't have time to qualify all the tyre kickers - they rely on the fact that if you are serious you will stick around long enough or make an appointment.

Anyway - end of rant - hope it helps!

P.S. Welcome! And you made a great/the right choice!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi Jose,

I did ring ahead when I visited the LR dealership but ended up with a different salesman to the one I spoke to on the phone.
I did a lot of research on both vehicles and when I went to my Audi dealership the salesman could not do enough for me.
This ended with a 2 day test drive of the Q5, it took me a further 4 months to decide which vehicle to buy and the salesman spent time with me as we went through various options.

I currently have a Mercedes and have a fantastic relationship with the dealership, but have had two bad experiences with LR dealerships.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi there Jamaw
Welcome to the forum!

Didn't even consider LR if that helps! Yes the Evoque looks cool and yes it does have the solid heritage and workmanship as Jose rightly mentioned, however not only are there Evoque's every other car - build quality is lacking and reliability I have heard makes you cry inside.
So I'm glad you have made the right decision and gone for the SQ5, now you join many of us in the wait for delivery. Have you been told when yours might be arriving?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi Jose,

I did ring ahead when I visited the LR dealership but ended up with a different salesman to the one I spoke to on the phone.
I did a lot of research on both vehicles and when I went to my Audi dealership the salesman could not do enough for me.
This ended with a 2 day test drive of the Q5, it took me a further 4 months to decide which vehicle to buy and the salesman spent time with me as we went through various options.

I currently have a Mercedes and have a fantastic relationship with the dealership, but have had two bad experiences with LR dealerships.
I'm assuming everyone on this forum did their research as they are members... I didn't mean to suggest anyone on here was part of the group I mentioned - but it is a surprisingly large group none the less and certainly contributes to some of our woes.

There are of course always shit salesmen/dealerships. But as I say I have found no correlation to a brand, it usually comes down to the manager at the particular showroom (it is they which hire the sales people and set the standards after all!). My LR experience was fantastic, I didn't even ask for the off road experience day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just traded my Evoque Prestige with lots of options in for the Q5. I couldn't put up with build quality or the service from my local dealer any longer. Having said that, I've been a long time owner of many Landrovers (and still own a 2010 Freelander), but the build quality gets worse as time goes on. Real shame.... Now it's over to fashion rather than functionality, and folk who really want to buy additional bling to add to their vehicles (sorry, I know I'm over generalising). That said, you can still get heated windscreens and steering wheels (wish Audi would do the same).

So bottom line is you've made the right choice. Best wishes....

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jose,

I didn't take it you were aiming this at me.

Reactions: José

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just wanted to drop in and say hi and thank you guys for a great site. Having spent weeks thinking about my next purchase I had decided to buy the evoque (I know I can hear the groans!!). However a really poor experience at the LR dealership with a salesman who just wasn't interested in my business resulted in me looking at the Q5 as an alternative. A google search threw up your site and following some research and reading your reviews I decided to visit my local Audi dealership last weekend. They were fantastic and having spent just one night thinking over the options I placed my order for an SQ5.

So a big thanks to that LR Salesman and you guys!!

And so the wait begins.........
Welcome, you had a narrow squeak having had an Evoque experience I can say for certain that the beauty is skin deep and getting to know your local dealer's service department to a 1st name level of relationship is standard.

You have chosen wisely, the SQ is a remarkable vehicle and a world apart from the Evoque. What spec have you gone for?

·
Banned
489 Posts
I've always done my own research and likewise wasted salespersons 'valuable' time test driving cars that I have no intention of using them for. That's because when I know what I want I always use brokers. Then when I am introduced to a corporate/fleet sales exec my time is not wasted and the (discounted) price is already on the table.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your new car ..... when you eventually take delivery

·
Registered
596 Posts
Welcome Jamaw.

On the subject of dealership experiences, is the practise of customers being "owned" by particular dealership sales people becoming more prevalent?
I'll explain further - a couple of years ago, went to explore replacement of the wife's then Friday-afternoon-Freelander and was told I HAD to deal with the bloke who had originally sold us the car. On the basis that I hadn't liked him or his approach towards us (as the customers), I advised the receptionist that I'd prefer to deal with someone else. Apparently this wasn't possible as we were "on the system" as being HIS clients. Easy and quick resolution however - we walked away.
Subsequently bought the wife a Golf GT Sport instead and now looking to replace this, have just had the same thing happen again, albeit with a different car marque and dealership nonetheless.
As customers, aren't we free to deal with whoever we choose? This you-belong-to-him /her-dealership sales approach really narks...
Rant over.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I did spend a few months or so looking at various cars and talking to various dealers. The evoque was a late comer to my short list and I admit I was probably more taken with the external look of the car than anything else. With the advent of the new 9 speed gear box for 2014 it sort or made the car desirable enough to want one. I had every intention of placing an order but like I said poor dealership expereince put me off. If they treat you like that before you buy then no doubt the after sales service wouldn't have been up to much either...

In the end my old mum use to say everything comes to he who waits and the best things are worth waiting for. .

Anyway John you asked about spec so here goes - (from memory as I don't have it with me).....

Phantom black
Black Styling kit
Black Roof Rails
Privacy Glass
21" wheels
Advanced key
Folding Door mirrors
Tech Pack High
Bang and Olufsen
Open Sky Roof
Powered Tail Gate
Dynamic Steering
Mobile Phone Prep High
Drive Select
Hill Hold
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Bench Seats
Piano Black Inlays
Sun Visor
Reversible load mat...

Think thats it.

cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome Jamaw,

I have the something happen to me with BMW, I was looking at an X3 or the Q5 and not sure which way to go as I liked both but it came down to the dealers. Audi were great and BMW let me down, so much so that the choice was made easy for me and a Q5 was ordered. Only wish it had happened earlier as my current car is due to go back and I'm still waiting for a build date on the Q5.

Nice spec by the way...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Out of interest, what made you choose Phantom over Panther black?

I ask as if I was allowed to get black (Mrs wanted white) it would definitely have been the exclusive to SQ Panther.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Jose, I went with Panther first then phoned up the next day and changed it. At the end of the day I'd read a few comments about the flakes and how it had a bit of a red tint to it in sunlight. I was unsure so went with the same colour I have on my current car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
welcome Jamaw, as its been said before " That was a close one " Glad you found this site and changed your mind, its one of the best cars ive driven and its still putting a smile on my face today, All the best with the wait, time flies by !

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi Jose, I went with Panther first then phoned up the next day and changed it. At the end of the day I'd read a few comments about the flakes and how it had a bit of a red tint to it in sunlight. I was unsure so went with the same colour I have on my current car.
Fair enough. It does go various colours in the sun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts