Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Recently I collected my car from a public car park only to discovers so deep scratches on the passenger doors of my car (no it was not the mice as I dealt with them as per my previous post.)

So I asked the nice security staff if they could pull up the cctv (I was parked under a camera at the time) and identify what damaged my pride and joy.

A new driver drove into the space next to me and clipped the pillar then decided to do what was called a 3 point turn in the car park space and clipped my car on the rear passenger door then must have tried to correct themselves and tapped the front door, leaving more damage.

The security team said I was not allowed to see the CCTV but the standards of driving were shocking.

I tried to come to a private arrangement for this young person to pay for the damage via a reputable garage as Audi want about £1100 and VAT to do the repair and re-spray the whole side of my car. I got two more quotes from £800 and £500 plus VAT. This was to help them not have a claim within 2 weeks of passing their test.

The young driver wanted to take it to a garage I don't know to get it done so I asked for the garage details and the person got quite rude and eventally on the 7th day after the incident provided me with an insurance company name and registration. So I have to claim via their insurance I contacted the boys in blue on 101 and after reporting the incident was told it can take up to a week for them to contact me!

I spoke to really nice PC last night who will review the CCTV evidence and confirm who was liable.

The PC said when he reviews the evidence the will either look at court action or the DVLA with a view to a re-assessment!

After I spoke to my insurance company who are more than happy to chase this up as I confirmed I left the car and XX time and came back at YY time to find the damage.

After you stop laughing, I wonder how much my premiums will go up by even though it was not my fault and secondly will the boys in blue actually do anything about someone not leaving their details and driving off.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Horrible experience. Hope you get it sorted OK.

Just as well there is CCTV to back you up.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Well I have a claim of £27k 11 months after passing my test and it was 'my fault' (or rather, I binned it avoiding a deer, it was a write off whether I hit it, or put it off the road to avoid it)...

I was REALLY worried about what this might do to my insurance, but my insurance went down from £1800 for the first year, to £400 on the SQ5 (7 months after the accident, so I had been driving 1.5 years all together). The car I binned was a BMW 135i convertible - also about 300bhp and was £42k new, so similar price bracket and likely a worse group than the school mum Q5 the SQ5 fits into...

Now I did pass when I was 25 years old, so I do think this plays a big role. I just wonder what I would be paying if I didn't have the claim! Even an R8 V10 Plus brand new I can get quotes under £2k!!

I'm presuming this young driver is 17/18 though - in which case - based on knowing quite a few people in this bracket through my modified car club - THEY ARE SCREWED!!! They are probably paying over £1000 on a 1l Polo thing as it is, I know people that can't get a quote less than £4k due to a minor claim like this.

Regarding the 5-0 following up on leaving the scene - I expect they will - it's considered quite a serious offence. Serves the twerk right for not taking to your kindly offer of getting it done at a reputable garage really IMO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure that when both my wife and I passed our tests we were told always leave your details if you are in the wrong and my dad taught me to ensure I park under CCTV as its harder to lie when there is video evidence!

I really did feel sorry for the young driver until they said they were not liable and I could not prove it,

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
You will have to pay your excess. Your premium will go up even when you were not at fault. Insurer's consider those who have had one incident more likley to have another.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think you were very patient and fair.... you tried your best to help him out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well latest update is I can take my car to audi and let them fix it!

wonder if I can blag an SQ5 or another Q5 out of them

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I found out (the hardway) when i reported an "incident" that happened in a previous car.
Rear nudge, reported to prevent insurance fraud/issues over not reporting - impact mark on the bumper polished out, no claim was ever made and I thought no more about it.

Come renewal, insurance went up, i queried why, but they said "you've had an incident" explained the above and it was 0 cost, simple response was "tough", "we base premiums on risk" they went on to state "you are more likely to be involved in an accident due to the prior incident". We danced, went in a few circles and i came to the conclusion it would be easier to beat my head on the corner of the wall or just talk to the dead as the insurers had no intention of listening to reason.

So expect a raise next year.
Insurance companies make my blood boil.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hope all gets sorted, massive pain I can't bare to imagine your position and your fury...
A week after getting the SQ someone clipped the side wheel arch, was furious but no CCTV footage, luckily most of it rubbed off and is now not seen...like everyone's saying good thing you parked near CCTV, that kid is screwed!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Being and insurance provider is the greatest thing ever.

1. Your clients are bound by law to take your service.
2. Most of your clients will move heaven and earth not to use your service.
3. You have no restrictions on the small print, and can refuse service at any time.
4. You can freely discriminate on age, gender, race, social status, and wealth.
5. You can offset all overhead cost to your clients. (£20 to update your details).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts