Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Test Drive week ending 28th July
I currently drive a Jaguar XF 3l Diesel S so I wanted to try and get an SUV with reasonable performance and handling, a quality interior and no more but less wind and road noise if possible.
Having had two Audi's in the past road noise and tire thump may have been a problem.

So, I enjoyed the SQ5 for half a day on my local roads. Speeds on private roads of course, were over 90

Compared to the XF I found similar levels of wind noise, although the ride is firmer that doesn't really matter as long as it's quiet and not harsh. There was less tire noise (bump thump) on pot holes and cross ridges (must be due to the larger aspect tire) standard alloys and 255 x 45 20" but a slight "estate car noise" from the rear at 60 onwards, overall on noise very good IMHO in fact impressed.

Brakes were great with good feel and no undue initial pedal travel, certainly up to XF standards.

Throttle response from standstill was excellent (that can be a real pain on some models of Mercedes) the gear change was great using the paddles in fact I had to look at the rev counter see that I changed down 2 gears, a better gear response than the XF

Steering is a bit dead and over powered at times I suppose that is down to being electric but I can get used to it

There is quite a difference from Dynamic to Auto it certainly weights up the steering but it holds on to the gears to long for me for leisurely driving but then I could always use the paddles! so I would probably make my own mix.

Interior whist not up to Jaguar standards (choice of leathers) is good but the Nappa leather and excellent fit of the panels makes up for it. I would go for lunar silver and black with silver headlining and I liked the dash design, in fact a nice interior.

Overall I am going to order one. So far delivery I have been quoted is 1st quarter 14 that's no go at all but I am working on it!

Handling:
On my favorite roads I could drive at the same speeds as I usually do without any thought of can I get around the corner as it's the first time in a different car. Not so with the ML which is scary!
I don't drive that fast any more but I like to drive progressively and keep up a constant speed.
I did find some understeer but that was me keeping a neutral throttle or lifting off slightly not what I would do if I was pressing on. Being heavier and with a higher C of G it had little roll and handled well.
I did not try for ultimate grip but it's a good match for the XF in my normal driving style, more than happy.

Performance:
Well no need to go into details really, in 5th, 6th or 7th from as low as 2000rpm a surprising amount of urge great fun and way more responsive than the XF.

Overall I am going to order one. So far delivery I have been quoted is 1st quarter 14 that's no go at all but I am working on it!

Updated. Looks like February 14 but will have to wait for the 2014 dealer allocations in September.

johnasq5

·
Registered
700 Posts
What about trying to purchased a demo john or a cancelled order ? You might have to route route for one thou

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi merlinv8, well I had a hunt and nothing to my spec One dealer offered no discount and April delivery another about £1000 off and February. but I have now ordered through DtD with a good discount so I will have to be patient.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I love my SQ5 but if you don't need an SUV, you might want to consider the A6? It has the same bi-turbo engine and a similar level of refinement to your jaguar. Before I bought my SQ5, I had a test drive in one and was very impressed. I also had a test drive in the new F type and the drivers seat is a very nice place to be.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
A6 is a lot more money though... I test drove an A6 bi-turbo as the SQ5 didn't exist yet - as you say great car, and if you are not worried about the high driving position and slightly higher ground clearance it has quite a bit more boot space in the Avant and more rear leg room than the Q5.
I seriously considered it, but you are looking at 7-10K more than the equivalently spec'd SQ5 (you could go crazy as it has a number of extra options the SQ5 doesn't).

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I believe the jag XF starts at £41,860, the SQ5 £43,075 and the A6 bi-turbo SLine £46,090. For sure, they are all expensive and if you have to ask the price .......... but hey ho it is only money ....... and no pockets in a shroud.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A6 is a lot more money though... I test drove an A6 bi-turbo as the SQ5 didn't exist yet - as you say great car, and if you are not worried about the high driving position and slightly higher ground clearance it has quite a bit more boot space in the Avant and more rear leg room than the Q5.
I seriously considered it, but you are looking at 7-10K more than the equivalently spec'd SQ5 (you could go crazy as it has a number of extra options the SQ5 doesn't).
We looked at an ex Audi UK A6 Allroad BiTurbo that was very tempting and a lot less than we paid for our SQ5, in the end the lack of Panoramic roof and Electric tailgate put us off - the saving for a 3,000 mile car was £15K however

1 - 7 of 7 Posts