Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, it has started.

New q5 bing delivered 1st march.

3.0 tdi s-line p,s with every option I could get except lane assist, adaptive cruise rear tvs.

There was one thing I was desperate yo spec, air cooled seats. Stupidly not an option on an s-line and wasn't prepared to get an SE fr the sake of it.

Anyway, now I am taking a risk on a very exciting option.

I'm going to retrofit A8 LWB front seats which are 18 wy adjustable but have heating oolong and massage!

Have bought the seats key and am looking in to all the hurdles that need to be overcome although most have been covered already.

Just thought I'd let you all know in case it was of interest to anyone else.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I think we share a passion for gadgets Adam so definetely post more once you've done it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've bought the seats as I said, the only thing that might have been difficult was the cooling facility is controlled by a button on the climate control panel.

As luck would have it, whilst retrofitting the facelift set up to my A5, I insisted on buying this part expecting to install it one day. It happens to be the same part used in the Q5 and happens to already include the cooling button. I took this as a sign that I had to try this.

It's an expensive risk, but it'll be great fun if it comes off!!!!

To me it's not just gadgets it's the whole bleeding edge retrofit thing. I'm definitely going to enjoy this.

The seats also happen to come with 10 inch screens behind each seat. I have the tv module on my car which has fakra outputs for rear screen displays which can be enabled through coding!

The MMI can be configured to run the massage functions via the dial built into the seats.

I went to two audi dealerships yesterday to take measurements and from what I've seen of the rails, they should just drop in. Only issue is airbags (may just remove the side airbags in the seats) and the width.

I have confirmed that the seats are at most 0.5 inches wider, I have assumed 1 inch for safety although at the widest point of the seat the additional width is on the outer edge due to the controls. The q5 has plenty of space to accommodate additional width at the inside and outside edges, the inside clearing the centre console by an inch.

It's not a mod for everyone but I am really hopeful. Given that I was prepared to pay £2000 for the option if could when I specced the car, paying a lot less than that now, having a load of fun and getting massaging and far more adjustable seats at the same time is a huge bonus.

It's nice knowing that it's not been done before too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing to be brave about!

Am not selling my old seats and it's just coding.

Worst case scenario I lose the cost of the mods which can always be sold on!

I'll keep reporting as it develops, maybe with some pics.

You think this is brave you should see my GTR!

·
Banned
842 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
at the moment but not for long.

The wife runs a CRV, I run an A5 3.0 tdi as a daily driver and a gtr for the weekends.

Now chopping in the A5 and the CRV for the Q5, meaning I'll be using the GTR everyday. Surprisingly civil - even with 770bhp.

Note my profile pic!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seats have arrived and are being made beautiful by a leather guy.

I can confirm the seas and runners do physically fit - no problem.

The standard airbags are three pin but a different plug type. Currently considering switching to q5 airbags in the seats, just in case.

The plugs on the seats are a 17 pin connector but contain all power, heating and data in ones hreead the a5/q5 are a red 10 pin and separate 6 pin for heating.

The plan is to convert the 17 pin connector which isn't fully populated into a red 10 pin and green 6 pin connector. The additional pins will be added on the car side into the stock connectors. Additional wiring needs to be added to go probably to the fuse box, this will carry power for massaging and cooling functions.

That way, the stock seats can be refitted at any point with no modification. It also means if I want to sell on the A8 seats some point, they'll go straight in to a q5 and will work. Will need coding and the extra wires for cooling and massage to work, but the 18 way adjustability should work straight away.

Only difficulty is the buttons to operate the cooling are in the climate control panel which needs to be correctly specced fr cooling. B coincidence I'd already bought one to upgrade my a5 from pre facelift to facelift. Lucky that!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone want some free seats?

so here's what happened.

Seats physically went in perfectly.

Thanks to my friend, we reconfigured the connnectors underneath so now they plug straight in to the Q5 harnesses.

They fit fine, only thing that needs doing is moving over the seat belt buckle from your existing seats on to these.

That's it.

Electric movements work as they should, but you will need to turn on the appropriate A8 menu to gain access to the controls for all the additional funky bits of the seats such as the cooling, massaging and 22 way adjustment. Main adjustment is there though.

Heating working fine already. You'll need the replacement air con controller from an A5 cab that has buttons for seat cooling - I happen to have one of those brand new that I'd sell for £200 along with the free seats, or you could just ignore the option.

Slight issue was seat occupancy sensor in passenger seat not connected as seats were from LHD which gives airbag warning light. This can be fixed by putting in the appropriate resistor.

So, why I hear you ask, am I getting rid of the seats when everything was on track to work fine?

The wife thought that the seats from a 100k A8 limousine weren't as comfortable! that's it - that's the whole reason for not continuing.

So, if anyone wants both seats in black leather with much of the hard work done, only coding to be sorted (seat modules included), let me know.

I dropped £1000 on this project and want to see the back of it, so if anyone else wants to continue where I left off, let me know, failing that, I'll scrap them in a week.

Need collection from Stanmore - north west london - these things are heavy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts