Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two hours this afternoon and I have ONE front mudflap fitted to my SQ5. Other front one won't take as long as all the experimentation has been done and I now know what needs cut and trimmed.

Happy so far!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me do a bit more and then post the pics. Plenty of trimming needed to both the flaps and the fabric type wheel arch liner. I was going in very small bits so took a while. Also had to drill a hole to get a bolt to secure the inner part of the flap.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont supply them for the S Line models or SQ5. These are standard Q5 ones I am modifying.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Davyk31
Sorry I couldn't send you pictures but I am just out of hospital today, straight easy fit for the front ones the rears are more challenging hence I have not fitted them yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Same as Doug I found the fronts to be relatively straightforward albeit with a fair bit of trimming needed, a little at a time to get the contour just right(see my post in December) but the rear ones will take a bit more ingenuity and time under the car which I wimped out of until the weather gets warmer & drier. Sometime soon I hope.
Unlike Davyk I did not require to alter the wheel-arch liner or drill any extra holes however and as far as I can ascertain the liner and sill extension are similar on S Line & SQ models.
As one of the few other forum members so far to attempt this job can I ask if Doug altered his liner or drilled extra holes?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are different versions of the flaps, from memory there are three different part numbers the later using the same numbers but ending in A and then B for the newer versions. I have the latest ones.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Davyk,
Just pulled out the box with the rear ones in it and delighted to find that I have kept the part no for the front ones:
8RO 075 111B (Front)
8RO 075 101B (Rear)
No idea which version these are but rear ones are date stamped 1/13 so may be an older version.
Took a photo in the rain this afternoon and will post if I can remember how to do it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think mine are the part number with the B as well. Looking forward to seeing your pics, bit surprised you didn't have to drill a hole, the instructions show a hole needing drilled even for the models the flaps are meant to fit.

Reactions: 2veeps

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here goes with the nearside one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Offside one:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great pics thanks. Can you do another one that shows me how neat it sits to the side sill of the car, basically your second pic just showing a bit higher up to see how it sits against the car.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here are two more, alignment with the sill extension is not perfect but on balance I am happy with it. It would be great to see some photos from Davy, Doug & Hector plus any others who have got them fitted.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi cruicd, I've still got mine in the box. Just keep putting it off. But now I see the photos of your fitment I may get onto it sooner than later (same part numbers as you).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might tackle the front right tonight. Haven't even tried the rears against the car yet as they sound nowhere near a good fit ...... will see.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cruicd, did you just screw into the fabric wheelarch liner and is it strong enough to give a decent hold? That is why I ended up drilling a hole into the frame of the car as I thought it would need a good solid mount. I don't have any fixing in the middle screw hole looking at the flap in the wheelarch, it has a screw at outside and a bolt into the frame on inside so its mega solid as it is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Davyk,
Yes both self tapping screws through the wheel-arch liner secured to the plastic hexagonal nuts supplied on the rear surface as in Picture 16 on the supplied A4 instruction sheet. If I remember correctly one was a bit of a fiddle to do as access awkward.
Liner is made of pretty tough material.
What did you do with the spare middle hole if you did not use the self tapper?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just left the middle hole blank. It's plenty strong without it. Got the other front one fitted tonight. Could probably have gone into the fabric liner but went again into the frame of the car and bolted through that to make it as strong as possible.

Who will be the first to get the backs fitted, on a quick look tonight they look nowhere near a good fit.

After all the work on the fronts I do think its worth it but am doubtful they will do much as they are so small. They really only hang on bottom of sill so there is still a lot of exposed tyre to throw all the dirt at the side of the car. They will maybe help a bit and at least I know I have done as much as possible to keep the car clean and protected.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rear ones will take a fair bit of thought as the rear valance flares out a lot on S cars compared to the gentle inward curve of the standard car's rear for which the flap is moulded to fit. I have been living in hope since fitting my fronts 4 months ago that some other brave/handy/skilled chap/chapess would successfully fit a pair of rears and post instructions and pictures.
I noted with interest that the white car pictured on the forum several weeks ago from a dealers stock appeared to have had the all the side portion of the flap removed leaving just the lower portion to catch road debris. Cannot recall which dealer had the car.
I wonder if anybody on the forum actually saw the pictured car in the flesh and could comment on the fitting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts