Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all can't stop looking at these cables as I would like to make a few mods... Needle sweep/drl etc.

First can anyone tell me exactly what cable I would need??

Also I found this on fleabay but assumes that this is not the cable as its so cheap??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOST-STABLE-VAG-VAGCOM-10-3-10-4-10-6-OBD2-HEX-CAN-USB-Diagnostic-1994-2011-/230731021100?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35b8a3fb2c#ht_5959wt_922

Unless anyone is near Basingstoke and fancies tweaking my car for beer tokens??

Thanks in advance

Andy...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ross-Tech is what you need. Not got one myself but it's the most recommended brand out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, I was after something slghtly more palatable on the wallet
;)

Do you have a link to the real thing ? (Ross tech) or anyone have any experiences with non Ross tech cables??

Thanks again

Andy..

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Hi Andy,
Wouldnt touch the cheap ones,far too many bad stories about them and the last thing you want to do is corrupt your your cars controls(will cost a lot more than a ross tech cable).heres the link for the proper cable www.gendan.co.uk.this will give you complete access to everything you need.

Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks rich.. it seems a little overkill just to do some DRL and sweep... but id rather be safe then sorry..

Cheers

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you're the sort of person who changes your own brake pads then you will need a VAG COM to release the rear brakes (or so I am told).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i purchased today and it will be here tomorrow!! (yes i really have the mod bug:)

so far my list is

enable TPMS
Non Winking DRL
MMI Hidden Menu
Battery Meter
Tilting Mirror when reversing..

anyone have any good links for the above codes?

happy to offer services to anyone nearby.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You should find all you need here: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html

and here: http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding.php

Many of the codes for the A4/A5 are also valid for the Q5 as they are all based on the same platform.

There are a few other mods that are quite nice:
Needle sweep on start up
Two additional DIS screens (lap timer with oil temp and a better fuel economy display with various fields)
Interior "ambience lighting" control in MMI
Adjust the time the stereo stays on when the car is off (like when you are washing the car)
Turn on fog lights with indicators (like cornering lights) - I could never get this to work
Brake light flash during emergency stop
Adjust the number of windscreen washes between each headlight wash
Phone voice activation (in case yours doesn't operate from the factory)

Enjoy.

·
Banned
842 Posts
well i purchased today and it will be here tomorrow!! (yes i really have the mod bug:)

so far my list is

enable TPMS
Non Winking DRL
MMI Hidden Menu
Battery Meter
Tilting Mirror when reversing..

anyone have any good links for the above codes?

happy to offer services to anyone nearby.
Where did you purchase from and how much?

Cheers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Courtesy of Rich (Rapidcool) I've got the needle sweep and rear DRL, which is a nice touch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd stay away from tilting mirror in reverse. Without memory package this will not work properly (tested). There is no way for mirror to store proper positions, so tilting and reversing to original position are timing based (lets say half of second moving mirror down and half of second moving it up). Because of different friction in both directions over time mirror gets out of its original driving position. More annoying to correct it once every few usages that benefiting from having this function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey all..

firstly chopper i bought it from Gendan for £264
shocking i know.. http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Thanks for the heads up mirekmal!

just got in from a chilli session sat in the car in the garage.. slightly freaked myself out as when i did an autoscan a message came on the dash 'q5 stabilisation program fault' appeared but nothing is recorded on the logs?? (I'm assuming this is a bug) or because I'm sat in the garage with the had brake on and engine not running? :EDIT I'm 99% sure that this is when the ABS sensors are scanned as the light on the dash switch on and off at this exact moment.. and no errors are logged on the OBD.

so I've enabled

non winking DRL
Guage Sweep (however I'm a little concerned that the dealer will freek as and when i take the car in)
battery meter (useless but meh.)
lap timer and oil temp (fairly useless too

and the hidden MMI menu.

and thats it so far...

im interested in the interior ambiance lighting but i don't think i have it as I'm not aware of footwell lights? (or am i missing the point)

all in all happy that i have sorted the DRL and hopefully this will enable me to do something cooool at a later date?

on a different note i have the new 2012 europa maps aswell and these install but need activating.. is this something i can do via VCDS / VAG COM or am i going to get shot for mentioning this ? :S

·
Registered
294 Posts
Guage Sweep (however I'm a little concerned that the dealer will freek as and when i take the car in)
Doubt they'll even notice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Courtesy of Rich (Rapidcool) I've got the needle sweep and rear DRL, which is a nice touch.
Hmmmm, rear, DRL... Now there's somethin you don't see everyday.
I feel like I've got a lot to do when the wagon gets here ...

Anyone want to volunteer and do it for me? Beer tokens as a trade up. LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
We had a A5 loaner when we where waiting for the Q and that already had the needle sweep and that was a dealer car

Rich
My A5 and S5 both had needle sweep enabled from the factory which is why I was surprised the Q didn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey all..

and thats it so far...

im interested in the interior ambiance lighting but i don't think i have it as I'm not aware of footwell lights? (or am i missing the point)
Zipper, I think this only works if you have the light pack. Do you have footwell light in the front and back? If not this feature will not be available to you.

Reactions: Zippster

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zipper, I think this only works if you have the light pack. Do you have footwell light in the front and back? If not this feature will not be available to you.
thanks for clearing that up.. i was starting to wonder.. like it was an easter egg or something

1 - 20 of 63 Posts