Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Q5 year 2016 MMI used to work a while ago but now doesn't work. I have 2 different cables one of those is a bluetooth cable, although the system detects the cable, a message comes up and says it is not supported plus they do not charge my mobile. I have taken it to Audi garage, its been confirmed that power is not going through to my mobile and i have been told that the system needs to be replaced. Has this happened to anyone? Fuses have been checked

thanks

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
What is a Bluetooth cable? Do you mean a Bluetooth adapter? Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology, not for charging - what you are saying doesn't make sense :unsure:

If you are just trying to charge your phone get a cigarette lighter adapter to USB-A or USB-C (depending on your phone type) and plug it in under the armrest and charge your phone there. If you have Audi Music Interface (AMI) option on your car, connect your phone via Bluetooth for music as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so, i have a bluetooth adapter which is detected on the car screen but it shows as not supported
Then i have a second cable to plug in to my iphone, it also says unsupported and this one doesn’t even charge so obviously power is not getting through. The Bluetooth cable is not Audi but the other is

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
Ok lets look first look at the 2nd cable which you say is from Audi.

Is this the Audi cable you are using (on the left - which is an Audi AMI to Apple Lightning cable)? Are you using this to charge your iPhone or connect the Bluetooth adapter?
Peripheral Light Product Gadget Amber

This 2nd will be plugged into your glovebox. When you say says 'unsupported' - is this a message on your iPhone? Normally if this message is displayed on an Apple iPhone it means that it is a third party cable that is not supported by Apple. Genuine Apple products / cables have been certified as Made for iPhone under the MFi program (they basically have some chips in them to make you buy the Apple certified ones (bad Apple!!).

But the Audi AMI to lightning cable does an Apple authentication chip in it :unsure: Which iPhone are you using, have you changed iPhone to a newer version recently? Or have you recently upgraded the iPhone iOS software (I have read else where that people have had issues with iOS 13 etc - this can stop the iPhone connected properly using Audi AMI cable)?

Did you get the cable on the right shown in the photo above (normally comes in the same packet) - you could maybe test that with a normal iPhone lightning charging cable (to see if you get charging power)?

Maybe a photo of your cables and/or setup might help? Do you have any USB ports in your glovebox / dashboard / under armrest, and if so are you using any of these to charge your iPhone? If so have you tried using a different iPhone lightning charging cable to test?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok lets look first look at the 2nd cable which you say is from Audi.

Is this the Audi cable you are using (on the left - which is an Audi AMI to Apple Lightning cable)? Are you using this to charge your iPhone or connect the Bluetooth adapter?
View attachment 12646

This 2nd will be plugged into your glovebox. When you say says 'unsupported' - is this a message on your iPhone? Normally if this message is displayed on an Apple iPhone it means that it is a third party cable that is not supported by Apple. Genuine Apple products / cables have been certified as Made for iPhone under the MFi program (they basically have some chips in them to make you buy the Apple certified ones (bad Apple!!).

But the Audi AMI to lightning cable does an Apple authentication chip in it :unsure: Which iPhone are you using, have you changed iPhone to a newer version recently? Or have you recently upgraded the iPhone iOS software (I have read else where that people have had issues with iOS 13 etc - this can stop the iPhone connected properly using Audi AMI cable)?

Did you get the cable on the right shown in the photo above (normally comes in the same packet) - you could maybe test that with a normal iPhone lightning charging cable (to see if you get charging power)?

Maybe a photo of your cables and/or setup might help? Do you have any USB ports in your glovebox / dashboard / under armrest, and if so are you using any of these to charge your iPhone? If so have you tried using a different iPhone lightning charging cable to test?
Wow thank you so much for taking the time on thinking in to this, greatly appreciated!
I will take photos this evening and show you. Basically yes thats is the cables i have ans the message shows on the car screen, nothing comes up on my phone
I will upload and explain further later
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
Seems as so iOS 11 from Apple has messed up the connection. What iOS version is your iPhone running?

Try this procedure which is from here (Click me):

It seems that it's the phone handshaking with AMI that is failing, but if AMI starts up expecting to find a phone, and one is already there, it works ok. To achieve this, I have to plug the phone into the cable before I put the key in and switch on the primary electrics, i.e. before AMI wakes up. What's more I need to wait a few seconds so that the phone recognises the cable and activates the port. If I switch on too soon the problem still occurs. So typically I plug the phone in first, then put my seatbelt on, by which time I'm probably ok to start car. Conversely when getting out of the car I switch the car off, wait a few seconds, then unplug the phone. So the phone isn't unplugged until AMI has switched itself off completely. Again, taking off my seatbelt and opening the door before unplugging is usually a long enough wait so it's not a big deal.
Or try this procedure from here (Click me):

I solved this issue with the following steps:

1. Disconnect usb/lightning cable from your phone

2. Powercycle your phone by powering off and powering on.

3. Open Apple Music and play any downloaded song. You must have at least one song in your Music App. If not, sync one song from iTunes or download from iTunes Store.

4. Connect USB/lightning cable while music still playing on phone.

5. Watch and listen as the audio magically transfers from your phone to your car audio.

Tip: If you’re Spotify user, remember to follow the same procedures by starting up the Music app first. I was unable to play any audio from my phone, regardless Music, Spotify, YouTube and etc. It somehow resolved after following the steps above.
Let us know how you get on - good luck! (y)

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
Hopefully the recommeneded steps by other users work for you. But seems as though Apple messed up multiple times with their software even on the latest versions:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts