Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this?

The radio keeps cutting out (no sound) for about 30 seconds or so - I thought it was a transmitter fault, but today I switched stations, swapped to iPod (which I could see had a track running) and then made a Bluetooth phone call (could see connecting-switch to connected) all without sound. Then the person I called suddenly came through loud and clear and all was back to normal.

There is no interference, crackling etc - just the sound stops (no background hiss) then comes back cleanly?

Surely this isn't a loose connection, must be a software issue?

I am reluctant to take it to the stealers just yet, as the car will undoubtedly come back with a rattly dash and some gouges in the interior trim !

Anyone else had this and if so, what was the problem/cure?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump this - but it happened again today. I think it is related to very cold weather?

Am I the only one to have had this? It seems really strange, as I would either expect interference/crackling OR experience a total failure?

It is one of those things that you can't send it in for, as it most definately won't replicate when they test it !

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry to bump this - but it happened again today. I think it is related to very cold weather?

Am I the only one to have had this? It seems really strange, as I would either expect interference/crackling OR experience a total failure?

It is one of those things that you can't send it in for, as it most definately won't replicate when they test it !
Hi,
I had a similar problem until I had a 91G1 Product enhancement upgrade. This was primarily for heating, I believe, but whatever they did it has cured the MMI as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes i have had all of this (i posted about it a while back as aithought it was the cold weather) usually the whole mmi just freezes and you can not do anything but you have sound..then after about 10 mins it just reboots and is fine. I have had the sound thing just once exactly as you say..i am taking it to dealers to hopefully get sorted with a software upgrade (i think) theres nothing worse when your mates tell you your car is crap as the radio doesnt work!! and how much did you pay for this !!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - now I know it isn't unique to my car, I will be onto Audi tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the day I picked my car up, I didn't realise the little volume knob controls each sound output independently (ie. audio, bluetooth telephone & sat nav instructions).

So, while the sat nav was shouting at me, I inadvertantly turned the volume right down to zero. The radio then came back a few seconds later. I didn't realise this had set the volume of the Sat Nav instructions to zero, but left the radio on about half volume.

Consequently, the sound from the radio kept disappearing (complete silence) while a Sat Nav instruction was being read out to me (which I could not hear). This confused the hell out of me, until I simply turned the volume right up, the next time the sound cut out from the radio again, and realised what was going on.

Anyway, sounds very similar to some of the problems described here?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately not mate - the unit has decided to completely give up the ghost on delivering any sound output at all now.

Everything works (iPOD scrolls through tracks, radio changes channels, CD runs and Bluetooth link makes calls - the receiver can hear me), but I get nothing at all, regardless of pushing/twiddling all the available sound knobs (dash and wheel).

I will be surprised to find that a software update is the answer - I must have a faulty system - maybe the B&O amp?

I will update once it is fixed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - it is a failed Sound Output ECU - got to wait for a new one to be delivered.

So probably not a common fault, just a dodgy unit in my car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my q5 for 3 months. I have had similar problems with my "sound" about 4 or 5 times. It always occurs at start up, although the length of time that the problem has varied. It wont resolve while driving, but a few times, i would stop car, turn off, take out key, restart and then the sound would be immediately back. The last time, however... I was far from home, late at night. All visual parts of the NAV, RADIO, MAP, etc appeared to be working, except it could not find my IPOD. it was "searching", and no matter what screen i went to, no sound. the steering wheel volumn dial, the dial to the right of the gear shift were both ineffective. NO SOUND... I got off the freeway after 10 minutes, turned off car, waited two minutes, put key back in NO SOUND.... 2 hour drive home, no sound. Parked the car in the garage. The next morning of course, everything was back to normal with the car. In addition to the no sound problem, I am also having recent problems with my bluetooth connection, where my cell phone powers off and on and off and on when connected to the blue tooth. My cell phone is fine, when I disconnect it from the blue tooth, so it is definitely something to do with the blue tooth. could the sound problem and the blue tooth problem be related??

Two things I note and am curious about:Each time I turn car off in these "no sound" instances, when I turn the key back on the nav/screen display doesn't display the "audi q5/mmi" that usually appears when you start the car up in the morning. If the screen was on a radio station when i turned the car off, it was on that same screen when i turned it back on. Not sure what it is supposed to do.

Also, for the first few months, when I put my car into reverse, with the radio on, the sound would go down upon backing up. Now, since these other problems started, the sound doesn't go down anymore when i go into reverse. What is it supposed to do?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I know this link has not been seen for a while now. Has this issue popped its head up again? This weekend my sound worked perfectly all the way to up North however the journey back was very silent.

At first the sound would be working as normal but as soon as I pull away 5-10mph the sound would turn off, if I turn the system off and back on again this would fix the issue for the moment and then it would go off again and unless I stop the car and take the key out and then restart the vehicle it would remain off. This will then happen all over again.

Spoke to Audi and they have not heard of any issues like this and said to bring it when I can.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it resolved.

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts