Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Still a while to go before I get my car. But have been reading about breaking in a new TDi engine. I was just wondering, how many miles can you expect to see on the clock when you get the car from the dealer?. I mean, obviously the factory tests would put a few miles on it. Am interested to know what the general mileage people had on their clocks. Just wanted to see the chances of the car going on a "test drive" before I get my hand on it.

thnx

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have had a number of Audi's over the years and they have all had between 18 and 36 miles on the clock when I picked them up. There is no way the dealer would risk taking your car out before you get there, lots of people waited 6 months for their cars and they wouldn't risk an accident. In saying that the dealer wedged mine at the back of the car park and encouraged me to drive it away, I kindly asked him to move it as I didn't think there was enough room, he laughed, gave it a go, got stuck and then moved the other cars out the way so he could get it out - nice try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
19 miles on ours.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had a number of Audi's over the years and they have all had between 18 and 36 miles on the clock when I picked them up. There is no way the dealer would risk taking your car out before you get there, lots of people waited 6 months for their cars and they wouldn't risk an accident. In saying that the dealer wedged mine at the back of the car park and encouraged me to drive it away, I kindly asked him to move it as I didn't think there was enough room, he laughed, gave it a go, got stuck and then moved the other cars out the way so he could get it out - nice try.
lol... hope they dont try and give another eager customer a test drive. Nothing wrong with the customer being eager to drive one. But not sure what these sales people are like. Like you say, hope they dont take the risk.. I will remember to keep an eye on the clock for sure... So half of the initial break in run of 50 miles would already have been done by then, i assume.. Oh, well...!!

thnx Kramer

·
Registered
578 Posts
@pirate - the real brake in miles is 1000 miles. Another point is that the brochure says the car is supplied with half a tank of fuel but mine only came with a qtr.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Ours had 6 and was handed over to us in the showroom as it was pissing it down outside! Had to drive it out a plate glass showroom window with an inch spare each side!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did notice 7th gear was a bit sluggish for the first 1000 miles (S-tronic). Did wonder whether i'd bought a lemon, but has opened up now and runs very well.

Audi are meant to put half a tank of fuel in at the factory (see the youtube video on the Q5 production line) - the dealer will claim they have put it in!!!

Reactions: nsm3

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ours came with 9 miles on the clock. When I was negotiating with the dealer I wanted to test drive a 170 TDi but the only one they had was brand new and they were waiting for the customer to return from holiday and come pick it up. I said I would not place the order without a test drive so they let me and my wife take it out, we went on a 20 mile drive and I was flooring it to see what the engine could do. We got back placed our order and they weren't bothered.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi bigmac

Which dealer was this, if you don't mind? Couldn't fault you as a buyer, but I wouldn't want my dealer to do that to my car. But hey.. All we can do is trust the dealer to a certain limit

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bristol Audi.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Only joking it was Chester.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you know that the dealer can reset the milometer on the car once providing the car has not covered more than 100 miles

kc

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aha...right, no wasn't aware if that!!!..... well in that case, i suppose there is really no check one could do..well well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
kcsun - glad to hear they can reset. Mine came with 3 miles on clock.....

Also had to drive out the window of the showroom (wolverhampton audi) which was interesting to say the least....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Andy - welcome to Q5 ownership

I am sure that the salesmen place bets on which customer will hit the showroom window first

kc

1 - 20 of 25 Posts