Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Im planning on ordering my Q5 in the next week or two and Im wondering if its worth paying 1000 euros more for metallic paint or not. Is the metallic paint more durable? Will it increase resale value?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Probably no more durable than a flat paint. It's one of the car manufacturers rip offs to charge as much as they do for metallic paints.
As for increasing resale values, probably not unless you opt for one of the custom colours which may limit the marketability when it comes to selling it. If for example you choose a shocking pink, think how many folk are likely to want that colour.
When buying new, you are ultimately paying for the privilege of choosing the colour.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Flat paint is hard to keep the shine on, hence the choice of perl or metallic, but the choice is yours if on a budget but changing colour for NAV is not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
comes down to what colour you want. the paint quality is the same regardless, so its personal preference basically.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I say have what colour you want, theres no point buy a car in the colour for someone else to have when you have fininshed with it, have the colour you want and enjoy it, i cant see it makes that much difference to resale, what ever you go for a dealer will tell you its the most un common colour when you go to trade it in!!!!

Metalic is a much nicer paint to polish and looks good in all lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. Im considering brilliant black vs. phantom black pearl effect. For me if the metallic paint is no more durable, I would consider spending the money on other options instead.
Any oher opinions?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Flat paint is hard to keep the shine on, hence the choice of perl or metallic, but the choice is yours if on a budget but changing colour for NAV is not worth it in my book.
Without being picky this probably isn't the case anymore - even the flat non-metallics are base colour+clear top coat just like metallic paint is.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I chose the ibis white, which is a flat color; you just need to be a bit more carefull with scratches, but if you give it a good polish you can make is shine as bright as a metallic color

flat colors are also much more easy to repaint when needed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts