Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

My Q5 (2.0, 2012, premium plus, Audi sound system, no nav) has the possibility to have SD memory cards for the music. Does someone here knows:
1- Are very high capacity cards (64GB) SD cards supported (SDXC)?
2- What is the biggest card I can use in my system?
3- What is the hight level of "class" supported? As you may know, SD cards come in different classes (class 4, 6, 10, etc.) and this is indicated directly on the SD card itself (usually a number printed and circled on the card). This represent the data transfer rate that the card supports. As you can imagine, the higher the class, the better performance/transfer rate supported, but also the higher the price. But as you can also imagine, if I have a class 10 SD card, but the card reader (inside the MMI console) only supports class 4, then my card will only transfer at class 4 level. In other words, I want to know if it is worth it to spent extra dollars to get a faster card. I currently use a 16GB card, not sure which class, but given that it is almost full already, I noticed that it takes a few seconds to a minute before my songs are available (I suppose the system re-scan the card to know what songs are on it). I am hoping that a faster card will reduce the wait time when starting the card...

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To further advance my question above, I found the following document : http://audiusanews.com/audi/assets/specs/USA%20Audi%20MMI%20Navigation%20plus%20system[1].pdf

This is on a US-based site, so since I am in Canada it is quite possibly the same systems I have. However, it talks about having 2 Sd cards and I only have 1. So because I don't ave the navigation package, I probably don't have the MMI 3.0 system.. but which MMi version do I have..? The above document states that the system only accepts SDHC (so no HDXC it would seems), up to 32gb. It also mentions up to 4000 songs, which seems low... I can put 6400 songs (if they average 5MB each) on 32GB. Why the limitation?

Also, the document states that the supported formats for playlists are .m3u and .pls, and that supported format for tracks are mp3, wma, acc and m4a. But this is for MMI 3.0, where can I find the specs for MY MMI version? Clearly the user manual is lacking in that department.

Thanks

·
Banned
801 Posts
There are versions:
- MMI base (without navigation)
- MMI 2G (The first generation of navigation)
- MMI 3G latest version (with HD)

I tested the card in the car 32GB
I think I'm somewhere in the Audi instructions read to 32GB maximum
Speed has nothing to do with sound quality
The card of 32GB When you put the computer needs a few seconds to read .
I think in the car you can not expect something better as far as speed reading

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are versions:
- MMI base (without navigation)
- MMI 2G (The first generation of navigation)
- MMI 3G latest version (with HD)

I tested the card in the car 32GB
I think I'm somewhere in the Audi instructions read to 32GB maximum
Speed has nothing to do with sound quality
The card of 32GB When you put the computer needs a few seconds to read .
I think in the car you can not expect something better as far as speed reading
+1,

It's all in your manual - take a look at it there are many other interesting features that you may not know about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

My Q5 (2.0, 2012, premium plus, Audi sound system, no nav) has the possibility to have SD memory cards for the music. Does someone here knows:
1- Are very high capacity cards (64GB) SD cards supported (SDXC)?
2- What is the biggest card I can use in my system?
3- What is the hight level of "class" supported? As you may know, SD cards come in different classes (class 4, 6, 10, etc.) and this is indicated directly on the SD card itself (usually a number printed and circled on the card). This represent the data transfer rate that the card supports. As you can imagine, the higher the class, the better performance/transfer rate supported, but also the higher the price. But as you can also imagine, if I have a class 10 SD card, but the card reader (inside the MMI console) only supports class 4, then my card will only transfer at class 4 level. In other words, I want to know if it is worth it to spent extra dollars to get a faster card. I currently use a 16GB card, not sure which class, but given that it is almost full already, I noticed that it takes a few seconds to a minute before my songs are available (I suppose the system re-scan the card to know what songs are on it). I am hoping that a faster card will reduce the wait time when starting the card...

thanks
Hi
The manual with my Q5 says that it will only support up to 32gb cards. I am not sure if you will get any improvement with a faster card

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Thanks, you are all correct. The manual did indicate that SDHC up to 32GB were accepted. No mention of SDXC so probably not accepted. However, nothing is clear regarding the class of the SD cards. Which means I am still wondering if it is worth paying more to get a class 10 card instead of a class 4.

I understand that speed has nothing to do with sound quality, but my goal was mostly to reduce the "load" time whenever I start the car. Granted, we are only talking about a few seconds difference, but since I often have to start and stop the car, I'd like it if I could optimize (reduce) the load time at the beginning. Same goes for my phone BTW, it does take about 30-60 seconds before I can use my phone after I start the car. Probably because it is re-synching the 350+ contacts.

I'll try and do some tests with a class 10 and class 4 card and post the results.

Thx

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Hi,

Thanks, you are all correct. The manual did indicate that SDHC up to 32GB were accepted. No mention of SDXC so probably not accepted. However, nothing is clear regarding the class of the SD cards. Which means I am still wondering if it is worth paying more to get a class 10 card instead of a class 4.

I understand that speed has nothing to do with sound quality, but my goal was mostly to reduce the "load" time whenever I start the car. Granted, we are only talking about a few seconds difference, but since I often have to start and stop the car, I'd like it if I could optimize (reduce) the load time at the beginning. Same goes for my phone BTW, it does take about 30-60 seconds before I can use my phone after I start the car. Probably because it is re-synching the 350+ contacts.

I'll try and do some tests with a class 10 and class 4 card and post the results.

Thx
I look forward to the test results. I'm using class 4 and class 10 and I can't say I notice a lot of difference to be honest - be nice to see what you come up with.

Cheers,

Kev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right, I haven't got my hands on a class 4 card yet. But I did find out something interesting regarding speed of loading. And, I wasn't crazy when I had the impression that my new card was slower than the old one. Problem is, they both were class 10 cards..!

Here are the stats:
Card size: 32GB SD, class 10
# Files: 1238
# Folders: 578
Load time (from car-off, to when I hear the music): 32s

Card size: 16GB SD, class 10
# Files: 1239
# Folders: 267
Load time (from car-off, to when I hear the music): 20s

Both cards had the same content, but it happenned that on my 32gb card, the songs were arranged by Artist\album\Title whereas on the 16GB card, they were Artist\Title.

So I took the content of the 32GB card and copied it identically on the 16GB card. Sure enough, the results were as expected:

Card size: 16GB SD, class 10
# Files: 1238
# Folders: 578
Load time (from car-off, to when I hear the music): 32s

Then I tried to organise my files all on one big folder (no sub-folder) to decrease load time. And there you have it:

Card size: 32GB SD, class 10
# Files: 1175 (some files had the same name so they were overwritten)
# Folders: 1 (for my playlist)
Load time (from car-off, to when I hear the music): 4s.

I don't have the answer with regards to the different classes, but I can tell you right now that the less folders you have, the quicker it will be to start playing the music once you start the car. And the difference is not small!

Now, if only I could figure out how to make the bluetooth connect faster..!

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
My tunes play almost instantly and I was wondering how yours was so slow. Thanks for the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts