Audi Q5 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Am I not correct in thinking the S-Tronic and the DSG are two fundamentally different units? I didn't think the DSG was fitted to the Q?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was always under the impression the units known as DSG(VW) were the same as S-Tronic(Audi) units

·
Registered
211 Posts
Basically DSG is the same principle as S-Tronic (dual clutch direct-shift gearbox), though there is one major difference; in VW model all engines (well, maybe not Tuareg or Phaeton) are mounted transversely and in Audi most engines are mounted longitudinal, that imposes quite different construction of gearbox units. So while not only traditional slush boxes (8 speed) but also 'DSG' boxes are installed in Audis, the latter ones are different in these in VWs.

·
Banned
801 Posts
DSG is not the same as the S-tronic. DSG is used in VW, Skoda and Seat, and S-tronic for Audi

DSG before have a lot of problems and recalled by in the U.S. and China, S-tronic never had such problems

In new Golf, VW went back to a 6-speed DSG

Problems and Recall of DSG-equipped vehicles:
http://en.wikipedia....t-Shift_Gearbox

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
384,181 vehicles were recalled to replace defective gearboxes that may result in the loss of acceleration.

Models include the Golf, Magotan, Sagitar and Audi A3, China's quality inspector said on its website.
A.n.other Audi owners have reported problems with their dual clutch gearboxes ("S tronic" in Audi speak) - including the Q5.

See here > http://www.myaudiq5....tronic-failure/

·
Banned
801 Posts
In A3 all engines were an were transversely mounted, but all other Audi models engines mounted longitudinal.

Audi A3 uses Haldex Traction-based on-demand four-wheel-drive system

Individual cases are not massive recall

According to 163.com - one the China's most popular web portals, in March 2012 about a quarter of the complaints about problems found in cars in China's automotive market were against DSG-equipped vehicles manufactured by Volkswagen.[sup][31][/sup] The top five models that dominate those complaints were:

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
S-tronic never had such problems
Not correct

There have been many reported cases of VAG dual clutch gearbox problems, including DSG and S tronic gearbox as fitted in transverse and longitudinal applications. FYI:
Not all Volkswagen Magotan (i.e. Passat) are transverse engine layout.
All Volkswagen Touareg are longitudinal engine layout.

In A3 all engines were an were transversely mounted, but all other Audi models engines mounted longitudinal.
Not correct

·
Banned
801 Posts
[quote ]
Not correct
[/quote]

It is true S-tronic never has a mass recall as DSG, sporadic problems are not a mass recall

There is a big difference between the DSG transmissions and S tronic but.......look for clarification on the Internet

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
The title of this thread is
Massive DSG Recall in China
As reported in post number 1; this recall includes the dual clutch i.e. S tronic gearbox as fitted to the Audi A3.

There are five members on this forum who have reported problems with Audi S tronic gearboxes.

Basically DSG is the same principle as S-Tronic (dual clutch direct-shift gearbox)

·
Banned
801 Posts
Because individuals think that the S-tronic Q5 and A3 in the same here as proof they have no idea about the gearbox, as they have repeatedly proved

Ha-ha-ha, five members of the thousands sold Q5 with S tronic, the really big percentage of 0.2%

S-tronic Audi A3

S-tronic Audi Q5

Indeed similar gearbox

System with a dual clutch system used: Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat Group, Ford Motor Company, General Motors,Honda, Lotus, McLaren Mitsubishi Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, Seat, Skoda, VW.................................................

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
No one has said the S tronic box in A3 is the same as fitted to the Q5. Five members is a significant number of forum members and a majority for those who commented on the thread which I referenced.

I am disappointed that you have ignored the facts which do not suit your opinion, deride five forum member's opinion and once again have resorted to personal insults.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.