Audi Q5 Forum banner

March 1st, Nerves & SimCard

9K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Sq5john 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I pick up new Q5 to replace existing on March 1st. Not exactly confident in dealer getting the spec correct as last time my Q5 arrived missing important items. The situation was resolved in that dealer let me hang on to new car until he ordered another. Guess what? He got it wrong again! So you'll understand I'm a tad nervous after two disappointing handovers in the past. Digits crossed for week on Saturday.

Anyway, re. my topic - Am I correct in thinking to avail myself of Audi Connect Google Earth services etc. I need a separate Data only Sim as my mobile is an iPhone 5s?
Also, I understand from the Audi demo video that the Data Only sim will take priority over the mobile when installed. Does that mean I will not be able to use my mobile, as I do now, to make calls over bluetooth when using Audi connect?

Any steer on this much appreciated.

S-Line Plus
Daytona (Hope its as easy to keep clean as silver!)
Audi Music Interface
MMI Navigation System Plus
Electric Tailgate
Privacy Glass
Heated Front and Rear Seats
Electricall Adjustable from Seats with Memory Function and Lumbar Support
Tyre pressure Loss Indicator
Technology Package
Mobile Telephone Preparation High with Audi Connect
Interior Light Package
Underfloor Storage Tray In Luggage Compartment
High Beam Assist
Deletion of Engine and Model Designation At Rear
Door Mirrors Electrically Adjustable, Folding and Heated.
Tow Bar Swivelling including Electric Connection.
Audi Parking System Advanced.
3 Spoke Multi-function, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel with Gear-Shift Paddles.
Audi Drive Select.

See less See more
#2 ·
As you have MY14 you can put a sim in for data and connect the iphone for calls still. I'm still waiting for this update to be available for MY13 cars...
You are right though, you need a sim as the iphone does not support rSAP to give the car access to data via Bluetooth.

Reactions: Rowanlaw
#3 ·
I thought you would have the answer José ! Many thanks - one less thing to worry about!

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
any thoughts on the best data only sim to get? I personally want to connect other devices so would probably go for an 'all you can eat plan' but I notice some don't allow tethering or have restrictions where tethering is only allowed in the UK (e.g. three)

What sims do others use?

Also noddy question, can you just plug the new sim into the car and away you go or do you have to activate them? Do you therefore have to put them into a spare phone first and then into the car?

Cheers

#5 ·
I'm with O2 and they quoted me something like £6 a month for a rolling monthly contract for 500mb Data only Sim.
The question is whether this is enough. Because its a monthly contract I thought I would see how I get on with that.

#6 ·
500mb is plenty. It will only go over that if you have regular passengers using their laptops/phones on the WiFi hotspot.

#7 ·
I would like to know about the sim cards too. I've just received a Pay & Go sim from O2, £10 a month 500mb data etc. Problem is I don't have any old phones to put the sim into in order to activate it

#8 ·
I am with Three and my contract includes unlimited everything and I can Tether as a hotspot too so hopefully according to the sales guy it will just hook up as a hotspot. So blinkin complicated when it doesn't need to be. I would imaging data usage to be relatively minimal if just for map reference...

#10 ·
You mean the car will use the phone as a hotspot? Don't be so sure...

Your phone MUST support rSAP via Bluetooth for the car to use the internet. The car CANNOT connect to another WiFi AP as access to the internet (it can only act as an AP).

What phone do you have? If it's an iPhone it does not support rSAP. So Android based phones do, some Nokia's do.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just put it in the car - assuming you don't need to send any specific text, you can use it to make/recieve a call or receive an SMS.

#13 ·
The S3 and Mobile Connect High work perfectly together, since the 4.3 Jelly Bean release of the OS its been rock solid stable too.

#16 ·
Cheers for post Sq5john. Will therefore hope all will be ok with my S3....

#14 ·
This is good to hear with the samsung, I have recently aquired a S4 to replace my iPhone 4s ready for the Q5.

#15 ·
Now thats dedication to the car!
I've discussed with Sq5john before and he's tried to convince me that the latest Android on the S3 is OK now, but I've had my fingers burnt. I'm sticking with Apple (warts 'n all)!

#18 ·
For those interested I bought an Ultimate Internet SIM (1 month) from three. Just plugged it into the SIm slot and it worked straight away. Configuration took minutes and I now have my ipad and other devices wifi connected. Love google maps.

Thanks for the previous advice.

#19 ·
I discovered that although O2 have 500mb and 1GB Data only SIM deals in their brochure they don't sell them !
I've ordered from GiffGaff.

#21 ·
A standard full-size sim.

Reactions: richg
#23 ·
Does anyone have and real information on whether an update for the car to link with the iphone will be forthcoming, spoke to my dealer yesterday and drew a complete blank! I'vejust gone out of contract with my mobile so I could update but like the whole Apple iphone / Ipad / iCloud thing

#24 ·
It's not an Audi problem, it's Apple who with typical arrogance have decided for reasons best known to themselves not to fully implement the Bluetooth standard. So if you choose a phone that supports rSAP (remote SIM access profile) then you don't have a problem.

I completely understand the Apple ecosystem conundrum you face, however the Android stuff also syncs with the cloud if you have a Gmail account. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and that works perfectly with Mobile Connect High.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.