Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a very stupid threat but one concerning me. We are going to florida in June for 2 weeks flying from Manchester.

Now I shall have my brand new car by then and am very nervous leaving my £40,000 motor in a car park at the airport. Also nervous leaving it in my drive for the same amount of time if we get a taxi.

Any suggestions without employing a very large man with a pit bull terrier to stand guard for a fortnight?

Cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Safer on your drive, no chance of bumps and scrapes. Totally loss by theft is covered by insurance but not bumps and scrapes.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I park my car in Manchester airport for two or three days each week. I always use the short-stay multi-storey car park - if you pre-book online, the price is not too crazy. I've never had any problem with damage or theft. If you choose your space carefully, the car will be out of the way, and quite well protected.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Maybe opt for Valet Parking they always deal with the car well and bring it to you etc. Plus any damage is their fault...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Last time I flew out of Glasgow I used fast track parking which seemed to have slightly wider spaces and was full of nice cars that people seemed to take car of, therefore less chance of a door getting banged of yours, worth seeing if Manchester has the same. Not cheap but worth it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

I also park in the multistorey short stay car park every week (Monday to Friday) and have done for over a year. I also pre-book online in advance. I have never had any damage of issues. Just try to park carefully and park next to newer cars who's owners are likely to be more careful. If you drive around and look on levels 11 and 13 which is where I usually go you can usually find end spaces and can park as far as far over as you can. You should be fine.

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have used several "Long Stay" parking operations at Manchester airport over the last 15 years, some of which have turned out to be bombsite set ups when I arrived with the car parked in a field or rough ground. I came across an outfit called APH in 2005 who operate from an industrial estate very close to the airport and are the best I have found for 15 days holiday parking. There is a proper reception building, rather than a shed, beyond a barrier with 3 parking lines outside. They keep your keys, park your car in a marked bay big enough for an A6 on tarmac and take you to the airport in a decent Mercedes bus. The only potential snag is that the car is parked in the open air so is subject to any environmental detritus but I always spend a day applying a fresh coat of wax prior to setting off which reduces the risk of paintwork damage if anything such as bird dropping fall on it.
I have used them 4 times now and on each occasion the car has been totally unmarked on my return. Have not used them for about 4 years now so cannot confirm that it is still the same set up. From your comment re: a taxi I assume you must be in the M62 corridor so you could wander along and take a look at it to see what you think.
Sounds like you do not have a garage as that would be safest option along with a taxi.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thanks for all replies and not thinking me a pillock...

I have used APH before and yes very professional however it was a squeeze when we went to retrieve car, IX35 SUV, last time both at Birmingham and Manchester. So spaces not to big.

I live in Stafford so on the M6 for 2 junctions.

I do have a garage but my toy the MX5 lives in there.

Short stay not really an option for 2 weeks?

I think leaving it on the drive where it shall be very visible as on an open corner and neighbours will keep and eye will be the safest option.

Why is when you have something nice a realistic fear is that someone will be out to damage it or take it from you....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I use various airport car parks (usually I am flying to/via Manc though, not parking there). As stated above, just choose an end space, or wine by a pillar where you can leave lots of room on one side to the next car and no-one can park the end/pillar side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers friends for replies. There are 4 of us going and my friends have a new Jaguar and have similar concerns, his is bigger than mine. No envy though. Lol

So we have decided to leave cars at home and let the courier take the strain. Price wise taking into account petrol etc it will cost us about £20 per couple and car will be safe at home. No boner really and M6 after a through the night flight is a viscous place to be.

Let the holiday begin.....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Maybe opt for Valet Parking they always deal with the car well and bring it to you etc. Plus any damage is their fault...
Worst option possible. 6k revs in first on two wheels all around the car park...

We just self park and find a good spot or take a taxi. SQ5 struggles to get the cases in - if you need a push chair its going to be tight!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Worst option possible. 6k revs in first on two wheels all around the car park...

We just self park and find a good spot or take a taxi. SQ5 struggles to get the cases in - if you need a push chair its going to be tight!
The SQ5 struggles to get the cases in?? How big a suitcase do you need?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with Snowman, the boot is not what one would call spacious. I was aware of this prior to ordering but reckoned as kids have more or less left home we could cope most of the time. A6 Avant takes luggage for 4 but we just managed to squeeze in 3 cases plus flight bag and coats last month for holiday. 4 of us flew back so 4 cases which only went in after taking out the shelf and putting it between the seats. Not great if one plans a longer road trip with luggage on view when parked up.
The Q/SQ5 is not any worse than other mini trucks in this regard, except perhaps the current CRV which appears to have a humungous boot, but has less luggage space than an equivalent estate car. Like everything it is a compromise but overall a pretty impressive overall package, just do not think of driving to Europe 4 up unless you are willing to add a roof box with all that involves (cross channel ferry height limits, speed restriction, fuel consumption etc;)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Would tend to agree its a 3 up size boot...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Depth of boot is rubbish - it might have the height - however not that practical unless you remove the parcel shelf (and where do you put that - unless you have rear bench seat plus)

I have the netted Audi partition net that hooks into the roof, but never really used it as couldn't stow the parcel shelf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts