Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

Audi rang me last week asking me to book Franz in for an upgrade that 'would make my steering more comfortable'! As I was at work just about to dash off ot a meeting, I didn't get chance to ask much other than to fix a date, and growl about my sat nav not knowing my house.

Can anyone please add some flesh to these bones - the steering one?

Thanks
Jan

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had mine done a few weeks back and to be honest i haven't noticed any difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps, will report back if any change noticed, either +ve or -ve.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My dealer has also told me that they want to do this plus a mod to the engine management software. I've asked them if either mod is safety critical and if either mod is mandated by Audi (i.e. if you refuse the mod the warrantee is invalidated). I've pointed out to them I've not had a problem with my steering in 6 months and 7100 miles or the engine for that matter.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
.... have you refused updates and what was their response? The dealer will do non critical updates when your car is in for service I may be wrong(?) but I don't think they even tell you they have been done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
..... No - my dealer called me and asked me to bring the car in for a free safety check. They then called back and said they'd need it for 3 hours as they wanted do 2 software updates. Now I can't believe that it can take 3 hours just to do that! I'm going next Monday but unless the updates are mandated by Audi then I may well refuse them. I'll let you know.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
..... No - my dealer called me and asked me to bring the car in for a free safety check. They then called back and said they'd need it for 3 hours as they wanted do 2 software updates. Now I can't believe that it can take 3 hours just to do that! I'm going next Monday but unless the updates are mandated by Audi then I may well refuse them. I'll let you know.
Software updates are done online with a connection back to Germany so it does take a while to do.
It's the same with BMW.
Big Brother!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
I can believe it. Asked my wife to take my SQ5 in to get a replacement air compressor while you wait and unbelievably that took them over an hour. She was hoping mad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah I had one of these requests to from Lomand Audi in Glasgow. Booked next Thursday, he said Audi Germany has requested it and I would not notice any difference. Said it should only take an hour.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I waited to closer to and hour and a half but it did come back washed and hoovered. The steering does feel a bit lighter but nothing that spoils the drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I waited to closer to and hour and a half but it did come back washed and hoovered. The steering does feel a bit lighter but nothing that spoils the drive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

All done now, Audi MK very professional, came to collect me when it was ready, and it was all valeted. The steering does feel a tad lighter, but that may be in my head of course. It doesn;t seem to be doing that very very slight twitching as you drive along.

No joy on the sat nav though - my house, which has been built on a 'proper' road for eleven years, doesn't appear at all, and even next Feb's update may not have it on. I shall growl again in February.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
So driven mine a bit since getting it back avec update on Sunday.

I immediately noticed while still stationary that it felt heavy - they had left it in dynamic. I changed to Auto and immediately noticed it was much lighter whilst stationary than before the update which is good for parking manoeuvring.

On the move it feels much tighter in general - much more direct than before. I've only really driven it in Auto, but Dynamic is still noticeably weightier so no worries there.

So overall I'm quite happy, I wasn't dissatisfied with the steering before, but I would say this is an improvement for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts