Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess this ain't gonna be what everyone wants to hear... but my wife's Q5 has been nothing but a problem child..
3.0 Tdi S-line, black, packed with goodies.. ultimate 'yummy mummy' mobile.... did I mention that the entire MMI system failed when it was a couple of months old? OK, well let's replace that (3 weeks) and give it the benefit of the doubt.... so hopefully it's a 'one off', right?.... er, no.
A month ago it decides (without being asked) to slam on the brakes and swerve left whilst in the fast lane.... Fault traced to ABS and module replaced. It comes back and the following day the dash lights up like it's Christmas.... back to garage where fault traced to comms failure between handbrake, dash and ABS. It comes back the following day and it still think's it's Christmas... been at the garage ever since and no one can tell me anything other than 'it's OK, we'll fix it'. Er, fellas, this is a ?45k car which is supposed to be (primarily) safe and reliable.....unsurprisingly, my wife is now refusing to go near it (if it ever returns from the Twilight Zone).
I've had enough... got a new Cayenne coming so I'll be handing this one over to the solicitors now...still, just thought I'd let people know that the Q5 has more gremlins than a Spielberg movie... don't let your dealer ever say 'We've never had any problems with Q5's' 'cos that ain't the truth now, is it fellas...?

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, I guess this ain't gonna be what everyone wants to hear... but my wife's Q5 has been nothing but a problem child..
3.0 Tdi S-line, black, packed with goodies.. ultimate 'yummy mummy' mobile.... did I mention that the entire MMI system failed when it was a couple of months old? OK, well let's replace that (3 weeks) and give it the benefit of the doubt.... so hopefully it's a 'one off', right?.... er, no.
A month ago it decides (without being asked) to slam on the brakes and swerve left whilst in the fast lane.... Fault traced to ABS and module replaced. It comes back and the following day the dash lights up like it's Christmas.... back to garage where fault traced to comms failure between handbrake, dash and ABS. It comes back the following day and it still think's it's Christmas... been at the garage ever since and no one can tell me anything other than 'it's OK, we'll fix it'. Er, fellas, this is a ?45k car which is supposed to be (primarily) safe and reliable.....unsurprisingly, my wife is now refusing to go near it (if it ever returns from the Twilight Zone).
I've had enough... got a new Cayenne coming so I'll be handing this one over to the solicitors now...still, just thought I'd let people know that the Q5 has more gremlins than a Spielberg movie... don't let your dealer ever say 'We've never had any problems with Q5's' 'cos that ain't the truth now, is it fellas...?
Welcome to the forums, too bad your 1st post is a major complaint.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is strange how these 'lemons' end up on the road. You would have thought they'd never get past quality control.

Sorry to hear your experience has been a bad one, however it doesn't put me off. You case seems to be the exception to the norm and only if I start reading more posts like yours will I start to get concerned.

Enjoy the Cayenne.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad one, at least they are holding the money.
Id be interested on your views of the cayenne when you get it.
Regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
You have me a bit worried now.

Should be picking my 3.0 tdi S line with everything bar the kitchen sink on it and mine is coming to France and my French is bloody useless.

I do hope I do not have the problems you have had.I can relate to what you are going through though, we had the same problem with one of the first Mini`s back in 2001, you would have thought it had been put together by a bunch of chimps, anyway I complained so much and went as high as I could within BMW that they ended up giving me my money back, so I wish you luck, just keep at them.

My final choice of car was between the Porsche Cayenne and Q5 as I said before I hope I have made the right choice

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry to hear that. At least they haven't told you that it's a design characteristic of the car. That was the explanation for the faults on the Range Rover Sport by LR

Thankfully it appears to be a rarity, certainly on this forum thus far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone - I have emailed Jeremy Hicks at Audi UK about this, so it will be interesting to see what he comes back with.. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update as promised:

Dealer has had car for another 3 weeks and it appears the problem was in the wiring loom -intermittent fault that was dug in tighter than a tick on a buffalo's backside. The 'spinal column' has been replaced, and they have serviced it for me FOC as a 'sorry' for such iffy customer service earlier, and as I've 'been unlucky' (apparently) they're putting another year on the warranty.

So all in all it's sorted now, but I'm afraid your confidence takes a knock when you have had such a major fault so it's adios Q5 in June when the new Cayenne gets here - here's hoping Leipzig's best has zero defects.

What's odd is that Audi UK have gone quiet - haven't heard a dicky bird from them at all. I've fed back to them and the dealer that it's pointless ever telling customers they can 'reject the car' - unless the engine blows up in the first month, they're never going to take it back, so it's dumb telling customers that's a potential route if they ever suffer problems when the car's over a year old.

So, enjoy your Q5's everyone, and if yours ever starts playing up you'll now know what it might be..........that having been said, I'd hate to be hit with this problem out of warranty.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I'm sorry about your problems, but generally the Audi Q5 is the shit. Sorry for the vocabulary but it is true. For this and other forums I've found that lots of people have problems with the Q5.
My problem is abnormally high fuel consumption, oil consumption (1 liter every 2500 km), the problem with the system of B & O.

The horror of the car.

This is my last Audi in my life

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chazza! One thing puzzles me. I love the Q5........obviously BUT surely the Cayenne is in a different league as well as vehicle type/ size and costs about ?40k+ MORE. Seems a funny comparison to make between them both.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Chazza! One thing puzzles me. I love the Q5........obviously BUT surely the Cayenne is in a different league as well as vehicle type/ size and costs about ?40k+ MORE. Seems a funny comparison to make between them both.
Depends on where you live, and buying in the U.S. is not so big price difference here and compare

Audi Q5
3.2 FSI? Premium Plus with six-speed Tiptronic? transmission and quattro? $ 42,500

Cayenne

3.6 Liters, V engine / 6 cylinder Price:$47,700

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jees! Feeling ripped off now. The good old U,S, of A getting a good deal again. Why do they always have to have such HUGE engines though?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jees! Feeling ripped off now. The good old U,S, of A getting a good deal again. Why do they always have to have such HUGE engines though?
If some is good..... More is better!

Those Sepo's don't know how good they've got it - at least in respect to the cost of consumer goods!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry but have to say as of this Saturday we have had our wonderful Q5 for 14 months and not one problem!! Are we just lucky?? not sure but the car is a pleasure to drive, everything is tickety boo!! such a shame to hear people having troubles.....I met a chap at our local waitrose the other week, he asked about how I was getting on with it, he's had one since 2009 and not a problem either, he only regret was not going for Ibiz white and staying with a safe colour and going black, he thought ours looked great in WHITE!! but that was it we both seemed really happy with our motors!! I do hope there are more of you that are enjoying your Q5 like us!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I quite agree with you Zara, people need to remember this is a public site so not every post could be a genuine Q5 owner post, after all its a competitive market out there. I am happy with everything about my Q5 and I think some of what I have read belongs in a field with the bulls.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think you'll find that people post when they have a problem but not when they are satisfied. I'm sure there are plenty more satisfied owners than there are dissatisfied ones.

In saying that, the key items that annoy me about our Q5 are:
  • Pulsating steering when turning on smooth surfaces (it's now getting worse)
  • S-Tronic launch lag
  • Rattle in pano roof

And then of course there was the water pump but thankfully that saga is over - at least for now.

Fix the above three items and the Q5 would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I think you'll find that people post when they have a problem but not when they are satisfied. I'm sure there are plenty more satisfied owners than there are dissatisfied ones.

In saying that, the key items that annoy me about our Q5 are:
  • Pulsating steering when turning on smooth surfaces (it's now getting worse)
  • S-Tronic launch lag
  • Rattle in pano roof

And then of course there was the water pump but thankfully that saga is over - at least for now.

Fix the above three items and the Q5 would be perfect.
All s-tronics have a slight lag on setting off, my pan roof rattled also, dealer sorted by application of some special lubricating grease, it is a known problem with a service fix , go back to your dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts