Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up my new Q5 on 24th September the day after I'd got back from holiday, the following two days I did a total of just over 500 miles. At just under 500 miles the oil warning light came on indicating that it was still safe to drive but required topping up with a litre of oil, as I was taking it back in to get the chrome tail pipes fitted that they'd forgotten on the original order I got them to check it out. They checked the oil level and said it was just under full and took less than quarter of a litre to top right up, I asked if there was a problem with the sensor but they just said it was very sensitive. I must admit I do think it is a weak point not having a manual dipstick. Unfortunately I work away and had to go away the next day and I'm away for another 3 weeks
before I get to drive the car again, so my wife is getting all the enjoyment at the moment. Apart from the oil warning light when I was at home I had no other problems and my wife assures me all is ok as well, can't wait to get back and drive it again.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think that's the trick with this. Put a little in and see if it settles down as opposed to flooding it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with the low oil light coming up after about 400 miles. After topping it up with the 1litre of oil supplied with the vehicle, it asked for more after only 100miles. It then kept asking for more until you add a little bit too much and then it says to drain it off! After a trip to Scotland I had got it to report low oil when the engine was hot, but too much oil when you left it standing for a bit!

I took it back to the Audi dealer who upgraded the computer software (why didn't they do that before we picked the car up three weeks ago?). They also drained a little excess oil as it hadn't needed any at all.

It would be so much simpler with a dipstick. Especially when it comes to measuring the oil level. The Audi system is so fussy - you have to make sure that you have the engine warm, the ignition on, the engine off and you've cuddled your aunty). Then it might give you a reading, but you will become very familiar with the 'unable to supply reading' message first. Also, once the oil warning is set, you cannot access the oil level. You can reset it by opening and closing the bonnet, but if it thinks that the error condition still exists ... no change.

Expensive oil too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue with the low oil light coming up after about 400 miles. After topping it up with the 1litre of oil supplied with the vehicle, it asked for more after only 100miles. It then kept asking for more until you add a little bit too much and then it says to drain it off! After a trip to Scotland I had got it to report low oil when the engine was hot, but too much oil when you left it standing for a bit!

I took it back to the Audi dealer who upgraded the computer software (why didn't they do that before we picked the car up three weeks ago?). They also drained a little excess oil as it hadn't needed any at all.
Has the problem been resolved by the software update?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts