Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird thing happen today. I went to a self serve car wash and gave her a good cleaning--but as is usually my practice after a lot of winterish rain I washed inside the wheel wells to get rid of the accumulated leaf debris and sandy grit. When I tried to start the car it was locked and my key fob would not unlock it. I used the MyAudi app to unlock it but then it would not start and flashed a message to hold the the back of the key fob to the designated area. It referred to the owner's manual for this location. After reading the section several times I finally found a note with a cryptic message and blurry photo (p97) showing a location on the center console where the symbol of a key and what looks like a wireless symbol, should appear. Darn it I can find it and the only thing in that area is the wireless charging mat. I eventually got the car to start but still have no idea where the designated area is. Anyone have this issue and if so have you figured out where one is supposed to hold the key?

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doug (y) :cool:

Replace your key fob battery, as its probably weak - CR2032 battery. If your fob is out of batteries, you can open the car via the key, and then start the car by placing your (out of battery) fob in the center console area. Or use the second / spare fob. If positioned over marked area in center console doesn't clear the error message, use the spare/second fob to clear it. You can also have issues if your key fob gets too cold, or you drop it - they are sometimes a bit sensitive.

This is the "designated area" for your key fob on the Q5 (as you already know). However the "Top Secret" location is "in the left cup holder".
Product Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Steering wheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts