Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm installing an LED light bar because my Xennon lights aren't as good as I thought they'd be and I tend to do a lot of driving on bush trails at night.
The problem I'm having, is trying to find a way of either running wires into the cockpit or intecepting the fog lights wiring where they enter the firewall then installing a switch under the bonnet to switch between them. I'm reluctant to ask for help from Audi but you guys seem to be far more adventurous with your Q5s and thought you might be able to point me in the right direction.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can gain access with cables to the cockpit by removing the near side wheel and liner, removing the washer filler neck and bottle and you will see a rubber grommet which other cables follow which ends up in the near side footwell. You will need to remove the glovebox and door trim to access on the inside. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Adam. Job done..When I work out how to post photos, I'll upload some. The light bar is awesome for driving on long outback roads in the early morning or late at night. My zenons look orange compared to the lightbar. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Adam. Job done..When I work out how to post photos, I'll upload some. The light bar is awesome for driving on long outback roads in the early morning or late at night. My zenons look orange compared to the lightbar. Very happy with it.
I'd love to see some photos on this, also like to hear what lightbar you used. I've used Rigid LED's behind the grille on some other vehicles, want to do the same with the Q5.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I'd love to see some photos on this, also like to hear what lightbar you used. I've used Rigid LED's behind the grille on some other vehicles, want to do the same with the Q5.
wat other mods u got planned í ½í¸„

·
Registered
7 Posts
wat other mods u got planned
Posted up a few of my first mods in my intro thread here...

Beyond that, additional lighting as mentioned above, all the VAG mods once I get the newer cable, maybe foglight mods, possibly de-badging or blacking out some trim, toying with the idea of H&R springs,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was going to upload some photos but there is a 4.8MB limit for uploads (LAME).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets try again, Here is The Low beam,
Low Beam crop.jpg

Here is the Low beam with LED lightbar,
LED W Low Beam crop.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the passenger side mounting plate,
mounting plate.jpg
It's basiclly 2 rectangular pieces of stainless steel with 3 holes drilled through each. I've drilled 2 holes at the back of each plate sitting on 15mm spacers, with 2- 10 by 60mm set screws bolting into 2- 10mm nutserts. ( I think that's how to spell nutserts). You'll need a nutsert toolset with preferably stainless steel nutserts if you want to attempt this job BTW.

The 3rd hole has a nutsert pressed in it about 45mm from the front of the plate to mount the lightbar brackets on. The hardest part was getting the nutserts to grab the alloy crossmember as it's pressed at the factory to conform to the inside of the front grille and isn't exactly flat. Be very carefull drilling holes in the alloy crossmember as a water hose for the headlight washers sits on top of the crossmember. Also, you need to drill into the flatest part of the crossmember because the nutserts are only effective when pressed into flat metal.

The wiring was actually very easy. I was given a narva spotlight wiring kit wich has everything you'll need to wire the lightbar except for the crimps and crimping tool.

Inside the cockpit I mounted a stick on push button on top of my trailer brakes then ran the wire under the dash and down towards the steering column. Then, I used a 4mm thick piece of fencing wire by 300mm long to pierce a hole through the double layer rubber gromit around the steering column. Then I wrapped the wiring loom for the light switch around the fence wire and then tightly wrapped electrical tape around the loom and fence wire to stop them pulling apart. Effectively using the fence wire as a needle.

From there I ran the wire up the side of the engine bay behind the heat sheilds on the drivers side and then up to the windscreen wiper well area.

There are a few spots to mount your earth wire near the under bonnet fuse panel/Jumpstarting terminal and the active 12V needs to be mounted on the passenger side of the main fuse as it's an almost direct connection to the battery. The wiring loom kit is fused and comes with the required relay/s.
Then I ran the wires from the relay out the otherside of the windscreen wiper well area and out the passenger side of the engine bay and then through a hole to the front grille area, and connected the wires to the lightbar. I hope this all makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a photo of my 18" Lexani Wheels (Back passenger side pictured) with aftermarket discs and pads. The guys at Au motor sports tell me that the brakes are 20% better than standard and that I should be able to go through 3 sets of pads before having to replace the discs as apposed to the standard Audi discs/pads which need to be replaced together each time at nearly twice the price of the aftermarket discs. I did get 52000 klms from the original discs/pads though. 18s with aftermarket discs.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please let me know if there are any other photos you'd like to see of my vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,872 Posts
Would like to see the front of the Q5 with light-bar during the day. Gribbo that ones looks pretty good.

This must be a mod for the Aussie's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would like to see the front of the Q5 with light-bar during the day. Gribbo that ones looks pretty good.

This must be a mod for the Aussie's.
Yeah, with the drought the Roos get out in mobs at dawn and dusk, there are heaps of them out in the roads at night. If you head south west from my place out into South Aussie there are just mobs of emus about. They are shocking to hit, a 40-50kg ball of meat on stilts.

With the height of their legs the body is just at the right height to come in the front window.

Cheers,

Gribbo í ½í¸€

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,872 Posts
1:47 into this video - that's how to do a light bar, as shown on the Ranger Rover SVR
Looks smart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Fourbypete,

Have you got any pictures of the front of your vehicle with the light bar fitted? Also did you have any problems wiring them in?

I'm really interested in installing this one on my Q5, I would be interested to know what other people think of this light bar.

http://www.stedi.com...-light-bar.html

Cheers,

Gribbo
That's a nice light bar, shame they don't show the spread in the specs. Mine is half spot half spread beam and I only really get around 500 mtrs down the track. For those who where asking about a front on photo here it is. 20150921_103916.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Finally a Q5 with off road styling kit, light bar looks great by the way, did you have to remove the front bumper?

Or were you able to get down the front between the front panel and radiator?

Love the look

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally a Q5 with off road styling kit, light bar looks great by the way, did you have to remove the front bumper?

Or were you able to get down the front between the front panel and radiator?

Love the look
When you lift the bonnet there is a plastic panel just above the front grille. Take that off by removing the push pins. Then remove the airintake cowl. There is 2 screws holding the intake cowl. It's very easy. Getting the plastic panel back on is more tricky. Once you have access, there is a plastic panel covering the alloy impact bar which is the only solid thing to mount a lightbar to. It's curved so goodluck getting a nutsert to fasten securely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Definitely a mod for me, as you say plenty of room down there.

I have the off road body kit and much prefer the look, the stainless front lower bumper looks great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts