Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been very lax in getting some pics, views/thoughts down on screen to share with you guys - just been exceptionally busy with couple of weddings, sailing and conferences… Another apology from the outset for being a little verbose, iPhone pics (leave the lovely external shots to José) and constant references/comparison to my now dearly departed BMW 535d M Sport. I've done nearly 1500 miles in 3 weeks, 60% motorways, 20% town/central London and 20% A roads…

Positives;
Exceptionally handsome beast, particularly when viewed from the rear with the red LED's on just before dusk). Lots of admiring glances in traffic…

Front is probably too similar to the standard Q5, would be nice to have a subtle bonnet / wing bulge (but some people will clearly prefer the Q car anonymity.

Excellent build quality, everything is solid and anchored in nicely.

Magma red/black seats with contrast stitching really set the car off a white car brilliantly well - would also work nicely with Black & grey… but not sure about Estoril, Red etc…

Wind noise relatively well suppressed, tire noise fine, engine noise fine when on the go.

It carries the physical weight much better than the 535 - off the line, corners and rapid directional changes, but clearly within the limits of a much higher centre of gravity.

Nice to see how much fuel the air-con & seat heating consume when on…bit of a novelty item…would have been good to extend this to include how much the electric auxiliary heater used as well.

Seats little firm but quite comfortable (had very nice comfort seat option in the 535d)

Auto stop-start is prompt, but sometimes refused to cut in (usually after a motorway run - so probably due to engine cooling).

Scary acceleration 30 to 50+ (comfortably beat my friends Boxster the other day…much to his shock & surprise) and exceptional torque.

Consumption on motorways (new/tight engine) respectable - around 35-38mpg, same as my dearly departed 535d M Sport, but in town MPG is exceptional in comparison (25-27mpg) thus far.

Suspension is not at all harsh and is on a par with the 535d (which ran on 19" 275/30's on the rear & 245/35's at the front - not run flats) at most speeds, but as a couple of other forum members have said, it starts to run out of ideas when roads are a little more challenging/undulating particularly at higher speeds.

Did I forget THAT exhaust note…. How good is that??? Just not enough tunnels around to enjoy it! Also - I'm not convinced that it comes through the speakers at all, very sure it's just an aperture in the plumbing that opens/closes as needed…just happens to be loud enough to be heard in the cabin.

Voice activated dialling/satnav operation is OK, works…ish…but not read the manual yet to do it 'right'.

Wing mirrors can be left on 'heat' setting without actually heating - been some debate on this.

Engine oil - whilst some forum members have mentioned 'free top up's - don't see the requirement as a spare litre is supplied as standard.

Nit picking/problems;
Spent the first day giving it a very long wash/wax and to give it the real once over - found one very minor 'ding' above the drivers door handle and slight paint scratch from where they removed the TDi badge - will be going in to be sorted.

B & O sound is very very good, but not exceptional. Low end bass is surprising good, but slightly lacking a little further up - not 100% sure I'd opt for this next time.

FM to DAB switching is usually VERY quick, certainly under 0.5secs, but DAB coverage outside of London/off motorways is haphazard…was I daft in thinking I could get LBC97.3 anywhere in the country??

Audi missing a trick on 'favourite' keys. My BM had 8 programmable buttons that served as shortcuts to things like home or work destinations, telephone numbers, air con, radio stations, seat heating - it was so simple and truly exceptionally useful…really missing that.

Ability to change the order of drive select e.g. one press to go from Efficiency to Dynamic would be nice

I've also noticed (lots of SQ5 and some Q5 members reported this) slight knocks/clicks at low speed when turning / reversing. I don't think my sounds are loose heat shields, think they are more related to brake/steering sounds which I might get investigated.

There are also some softer click noises which are to do with the parking sensor 'beep' sounds starting & stopping - don't know if they are wav files etc (a lot like the very slight click you hear on your PC, for different windows alerts when the start/end)…not bothered about them.

Slight burning smell when I first used the heated seats…didn't re-occur.

Anyone know a way of allowing the auto stop-start to work in heavy traffic without having to leave your foot on the brake?

Internal LED soft lighting in the footwells - is there any way of having them stay on?

Rear-view mirror vibration at low engine speeds (1100-1300).

Puddle illumination lights (those under the wing mirrors) only come on when exiting the car…and not on entry….

Sat nav road view is very cluttered and unclear (again compared to the BMW).

Limited rev range - the extra 1000/1200 rpm on the 535 was good to have, but the low end torque is much more accessible on the SQ5.

Satnav favourites memory loss / slow to initiate (I've re-entered a favourite, only for the 'original' entry to reappear a few moments later)

'Coin' slot holder (small groves to the left of the gear shift), pointless and inadequate.

Want to have the rear LED lights on all the time like the fronts, only way to do that is by putting on the parking lights…which dims the front ones (Doh!)

Flat bottomed steering makes it a bit challenging to errm…steer with your knee…. Should the need ever arise!

Drivers centre armrest needs a better ratchet to stop it sliding forward so easily - as you (well I do!) tend to lean on it when entering and adjusting yourself into the drivers seat.

Rear wiper currently fine, but can expect it to judder/streak and squeak like EVERY other single VW group car… the economies of scale must be HUGE, which they'd spend some of that on a tighter spring or better rubber or anything to improve it….

Overall, extremely happy & content with my choice, and have seen a couple of SQ5's on the road…always in the Bracknell area for some reason (A322 or M3 J3 junction) - looking forward to some comment, debate, banter on the above, have a great weekend all.

(Ps happy to shell out on some beer tokens for any Vagcom 'tuners' out there along the M4/M3 corridor)

Attachments

Reactions: G dog

·
Banned
289 Posts
Very interesting read - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah but what do your really think lol...........nice write-up

I to move the arm rest all to easily but thats one of only a few very minor niggles not worth wasting time posting

Very happy with my motor

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great review! Really pleased you like it. I will have to keep an eye out on the road for you - I spend half my life on the M3.

Be very careful With the speed - the number of undercover cop cars has increased significantly on the M3 in the last couple of weeks!

Enjoy!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
EDIT: May as well make use of this post I fluffed up!

Where is the spare litre of oil? Somewhere in the boot I assume, I've not seen it anywhere...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Nice thoughts Budda.

Completely agree on the view from the rear, I've followed my mrs a couple of times in my other cars and love the look at night! I might try and capture it on my camera

To clarify, the exhaust has no cabin speaker involvement and no flaps either. There is a speaker IN the exhaust to create the awesome rumble.

And you really should take some pics and post!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great read mate thanks a lot, have to say that red and black contrasting stitching makes my mouth water, now wish I went for it...
Do let me know if you find a solution to the read LED lights problem, I was stuck behind a Q5 facelift and was thinking how amazing it would look with the rear LED's enabled all day.

Reactions: Fat Belly Budda

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Great read mate thanks a lot, have to say that red and black contrasting stitching makes my mouth water, now wish I went for it...
Do let me know if you find a solution to the read LED lights problem, I was stuck behind a Q5 facelift and was thinking how amazing it would look with the rear LED's enabled all day.
You can do the rear LED's with VCDS - its s simple setting on which lights to turn on when daylight running lights are on.

The footwell lights are also possible to have on via a VCDS mod. I think Snowman has done it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Probably a stupid question but VCDS?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Probably a stupid question but VCDS?
Sometimes called Vagcom - its the magic cable/software the guys in the garage plug into the car to do software updates etc at service.

I also allows access to MANY 'hidden' features and also to enable some things you didn't spec as an options. For example, Drive Select can be enabled (albeit controlled only via MMI as the button will not exist on the dash). But also lots of other little things like the DRL light settings and footwell lights.

You can buy it for £150 odd quid - FYI official Audi dealerships will not tweak the car for you - you will have to find a willing independent garage or nearby owner to help you out.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah I see thanks a lot...hmm when the car arrives I will be sure to try and check this out!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You can do the rear LED's with VCDS - its s simple setting on which lights to turn on when daylight running lights are on.

The footwell lights are also possible to have on via a VCDS mod. I think Snowman has done it.
Yeah, just enable Scandinavian mode.
Footwell lights a little harder but you can control the light intensity with some additional coding.
stop start works slightly different depending on gearbox/options, but if you have hillhold on once you stop and take your foot off it still works.
Nav just go into the options and turn off the things you don't want to see.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Ah I see thanks a lot...hmm when the car arrives I will be sure to try and check this out!
No worries. If you are interested - this is the official one http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html There are UK dealers as well.

There are cheaper non-official ones but people say they are a bit hit and miss. Also - be warned that if you don't know what you are doing you can really F**K the car!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yeah, just enable Scandinavian mode.
Footwell lights a little harder but you can control the light intensity with some additional coding.
stop start works slightly different depending on gearbox/options, but if you have hillhold on once you stop and take your foot off it still works.
Nav just go into the options and turn off the things you don't want to see.
You mean if you take your foot off the brake then engine stays off? Mine will only do this if I put it in 'P' first... If I have HillHold on and take my foot off the brake the engine will start and hillhold will keep the car stationary.
I'm in too minds if I like it like this, on the one hand it is annoying keeping your foot on the brake in traffic, on the other hand, when about to pull out of a junction I like that I can lift off the brake as I see a gap appearing, the engine starts, hillhold keeps me still and then I can launch into the gap with no pause for engine starting...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
On the entry puddle lights, in Car -> Central Locking there is an option to enable lighting lock/unlock - maybe its only got one of them ticked?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EDIT: May as well make use of this post I fluffed up!

Where is the spare litre of oil? Somewhere in the boot I assume, I've not seen it anywhere...
Was velcro'd to the side of the boot in a little shell pouch. Seemed pretty standard as opposed to dealer "value add"

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Was velcro'd to the side of the boot in a little shell pouch. Seemed pretty standard as opposed to dealer "value add"
Hmmm - will have to scout around - maybe mine is in the wheel well under the boot or something.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts