Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love it when it is cold outside... it produces... EXHAUST VAPOUR !!!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Being diesel it doesn't produce much. Been driving a TT TFSI the last few days and it leaves a hurricane size cloud behind you on a cold morning!

Neat video tho, just need more vapour!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it another shot when it gets colder... But indeed, diesel is not optimal

Nevertheless... Any reason to post a movie is fine with me

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sounds lurveeeely

·
Registered
151 Posts
Love the car man. But next time, you have to use a mic to get closer to the exhaust so we hear the roar better

Here is how my 300hp 3.2 Quattro sounds:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the car man. But next time, you have to use a mic to get closer to the exhaust so we hear the roar better

Here is how my 300hp 3.2 Quattro sounds:
I noticed that the sound of the diesel SQ5 is very deep and you need headphones or good external speakers to hear the real sound.
Laptop speakers are not capable at all, not even 'beats audio'

When I watch car video's I always use headphones (Shure SRH800), who can handle frequencies as low as 5 Hz

great vid by the way, sounds like a real racing car

·
Registered
469 Posts
You just need colder temps: - 33ºC this morning. My TDI made lots of steam!
Canadian DERV must have a high concentration of Kerosene or similar distillate of black gold if you can run the car in those temperatures. Back in the winter of '95 we had temperatures down to - 28C at night and -18C during the day. I had a LR Discovery TDI which packed up after 3 days of getting progressively slower, walking pace on day 3! LR were very unhelpful as they did not design their vehicles for these temperatures as they are unheard of in Solihull so I contacted Esso as their brand was sold by my local filling station. Very helpful technical department who told me that UK winter diesel waxes below -15C so I could add Kerosene up to a maximum of 25% but better to inform Customs & Excise first as there is no duty on it. Local gritters, I believe, run on a 25/75 Kero/Diesel mix in winter.
Esso chap said that in colder countries, Europe & North America, DERV works down to as low as -30.Some VAG diesels used to have a fuel heater to prevent waxing but not sure if this is still the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, there is a "special" formulation for diesel to run in these temperatures although I'm not as familiar with the details here (still have to meet emissions regs etc, so not certain if kerosene by itself does that. Also depends on the the availability and cost of an additive), but I know we blend significantly more butane into the petrol in the winter to improve vapour pressure and, therefore, low temperature ignition.

I park my TDI inside (not heated, but much warmer then being out in the wind) and haven't had any issues. Low temperature operability was one of my key concerns prior to getting the diesel. I definitely get a solid 5 - 8 seconds on glow plugs before the lump turns over on a cold start. But, otherwise, start it does with no fuss so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts