Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Both on the TV and net
Article was using a BMW as example,
Problem is, the mere reporting of it just brings it to the attention of thousands of more would-be criminals.
Anyone here use the visual deterrents like the bars across steering wheel or Disklok etc ??
Starting to think it must be worth it, even though I dont even have keyless entry

http://news.sky.com/...hi-tech-gadgets

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I'm insured,and have GAP, if they realy want it they will get it,not something I worry bout 😄

Reactions: Hectorshouse

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm insured,and have GAP, if they realy want it they will get it,not something I worry bout ������
Me too, I took 4 years GAP starting from now, as opposed to waiting the first year.
I'd rather not have the pain & hassle though, going to get some visual deterent too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Same as SQ-Beast, if they really want it they'll get it, and I'll get myself another through GAP.

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35 years ago, before internet, mobiles, Sky news... it was easy to protect your car when leaving it somewhere dodgy..
Take the rotar arm out from under the distributor cap, keep it in your pocket all night, and the car could never be started or stolen
Also the would be thief would never guess why it wouldn't start,as engine would turn over as usual
Car could only be stolen if they loaded it onto the back of a transporter with a crane.
But now the car costs £40k instead of £400, and technology has advanced exponentially, we can't do it.. need an old style steering lock.

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
You could still disconnect a plug leads or three?

I used to use a hidden switch to isolate the LT supply

·
Registered
814 Posts
You could still disconnect a plug leads or three?

I used to use a hidden switch to isolate the LT supply
Actually yes, I had one of those hidden switches on my Cortina 1600E !!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a very small world, had one on my (metallic bronze) Cortina 1600E too <LOL>
And getting smaller..mine was also the bronze, though they did only make them in 3 colours...
It was the last year available, 1970 'J' Reg, loved it.
I went to a classic car show in Ripon last week, hoping to see a few good examples...but NOT ONE there !!very disappointing.

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
A friend of mine has a fine example of the 1600E plus a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth. I owned a Cossie too, a great car in it's day. That was a real magnet for the thieves. I was very careful where I parked it. My insurance went up to an eye watering £1325.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts