Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just popped along to say hello and to have a good look throught the forum as a Q5 is on my list of possible future cars for next year.

Currently I drive a Landrover Freelander 2 HSE which its lease runs out next March. Its my second one and is now feeling dated compared to the opposition, dont get me wrong its very comfy and lovely to drive and am considering another but as stated the Q5 and also the X3 are on my possible lists.

Not sure if to go for the 2L or 3L - what are the mpg's of these, FL2 was about 33mpg around town and upto 42mpg on a run. Im leaning more to the 2L purely on cost basis so how do fellow owners find their mpg's?

Are there any 'must have' accessories? My Freelander 2 has most options as standard so will need to add satnav, sunroof and heated seats or else the other half wont be happy!

I have been told that the suspension on the S-line is very firm, is this true?

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the forum. We all have different opinions and obviously those on Q5 forum mightl be a little biased!!!!!! The Q5 is a tad more expensive than the FL, but I would suggest this is reflected in better quality fixtures and fittings. MPG is more a function of how one drives, there is little difference in economy between the 2.0 and 3.0L diesel engines. The accessory list for the Q5 .............. and if you tick all the toys it will be extensive. Some say suspension is hard but I find it more comfortable than beemer or freelander. You can opt for standard suspension on the S Line. You might want to consider the Evoke?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Freelander HSE is a nice spec vehicle. Do you use yours off-road/treat it like a skip on wheels (a lot of Freelanders have that kind of life) or is it basically a road car with the odd trip down a field here and there?

The Freelander and Evoque are capable tools off-road, lots of suspension articulation and mutiple terrain driving modes. Most of the Q5s are permanent 4wd, not like the Evoque and Freelander which are 95% front wheel drive unless from wheel slip is detected and then the drive is shifted rearwards by the Haldex coupling.

An Audi Q5 is built to a different standard than a Land Rover product, it will typically run 18,000 miles between services and you will find that everything works all of the time, absolutely no drama. The Audi engines are, technology wise, perhaps 10 years ahead of the 2.2 diesel that Freelander/Evoque use (certainly until the new LR Hotfire engines reach production anyway), so much more refined, quieter and more economical. Both 2 and 3 litre engines, even with auto transmission and full time 4wd will be more economical than the 2.2 LR diesel - and taken to the Nth degree my 308 BHP diesel/auto SQ5 is more economical than the 2.2 manual Evoque I had last year with eye popping performance thrown in.

As Missile has said already its possible to go nuts with the price list, so some caution is required. Audi HDD navigation is simply gorgeous and again 10 years ahead of where LR are in the FL or Evoque, not to mention Mobile Connect High with Google Map overlays and traffic data/mobile wifi hot spots/internet access.

A must have option is the Interior Light Pack, LR have yet to discover they could charge for this and you would miss it.... We can help you get your ideal spec right though, just ask.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi shilen14. I came from a Freelander 2 HSE and I am now on my second Q5 3.0l tdi. Like you I loved driving the Freelander but had loads of warranty issues including new gearbox, rear diff, wheel bearings and eventually it caught fire from an overheating rear wiper motor. My first Q5 had done 115,000 miles when I got the new one and had no problems what so ever, even tyre wear is good at about 35,000 miles for a set. The Q5 is a completely different car and drives on road brilliantly especially with the V6 tdi engine. MPG is averaging at about 35 mpg and I don't hang about, I have had it as high as 42 mpg if you keep it about 70 on a long motorway journey. Personally I didn't need the satnav as I go mainly to the same places and £1600 extra was too much to justify. Must have options are the light pack, heated seats ( I went for the alcantara seats this time and they are great), B & O sound system and the storage pack is quite handy for the price. As others have said you can go mad and add £20k to the base price with nice options but it will still drive the same. If you can justify it go for the 3.0 ltr or even the SQ5, you wont regret it.

·
Banned
289 Posts
If you want an Audi and you need it in March, you'd best get it ordered asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks and thanks for the replies. I have spoken with a leasing company i deal with and they have advised a January / February availability on a factory build. My FL2 lives on the tarmac so whilst I know the Q5 wont be as good off-road as my FL2 it doesnt actually matter to me. Had a look at the online brochure and a S-Line Plus seems to have most of what I need. I have heard before that the Q5 is comparitively cheap to begin with because you have to load it with options to spec it up to say a FL2 HSE. I have had several issues with my FL2 over the last 6 months, its 2.5 years old and 35000 miles and has had a new haldex unit, rear diff oil pressure pump, front tension belt and i still have problems with the diff so its going in again soon. I would like the FL3 (albeit rumour has it that it is going to be called a Discovery!) but no-one seems to know when it will be coming out, early 2015 has gone to late 2015 and now there is talk of early 2016 - personally i dont think the current FL2 can survive that long!

·
Registered
700 Posts
To be honest you cant really go wrong with the Q5, good alrounder hopefully a lot less problems for you than you have had recntly, as others have said i would get one ordered quick if you want one, waiting lists seem huge ! all the best

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi shilen14,

I had a bmw 3.0sd m sport before the Q5 and the suspension was spine shattering. The Audi just wafts over pot holes in comparison even with the larger 20" off road wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts