Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We returned from a recent road trip with our new 2013 audi q5 (prestige). We covered 2600 miles in total over a period of 10 days.

We left from Portland, OR; drove to Port Angeles, WA; took a ferry to Vancouver Island; drove to Port Hardy, BC (north end of island); took another ferry through the Inside Passage up to Prince Rupert, BC; drove to Smithers, BC, then to Jasper National Park; then to Banff National Park; then to Canada's Glacier National Park; then to Seattle; then home.

Positive driving experience:
* Where do I start?
* The comfort of the leather seats is amazing! Not once during our trip (and believe me, we had a few very long driving days) did I ever feel like complaining about how tired my ass was, or had my legs get stiff, or a back ache. The lumbar support works perfectly. If it weren't for typical eye-weariness from staring at the highway for so many hours, I could have driven the car 24 hours straight. Honestly, I told my wife that if someone asks whether we bought a new car, I'd say, "No, not really. We bought a magic carpet".
* The way the Q5 hugs the road, especially corners, is impossible to explain, it has to be felt. It's like the car drives itself. You aren't pushed around curves, you are literally pulled around curves.
* Engine performance? One word. Wow! Need to pass a car? No problem. Need to pass three cars? No problem. You will leave other drivers on the road wondering what that was that whizzed by them. (Audi says the Q5 will do 0-60 in 6 seconds, but you can find others who have tested it at 5.5 secs). When you think about that, it's awesome. What's really cool is that even when you punch it to pass someone, you will hit 80mph very, very quickly and suddenly notice that you have a whole lot of pedal left! And why not? The car does 160, so you are really only half-way there!
* Gas mileage delivered as promised in the manual - and then some. Rather incredible for a new car. We easily got 19+mpg in town and between 29-32mpg on the highway. I am curious to see what I get when the engine is broken in. I had heard that gas mileage experience by q5 drivers exceeds what audi states. That seems to be right so far.
* The sound system is amazing! 14 speakers, a 40GB hard drive that is loaded up with more music than you can shake a stick at. We literally listened to Pink Floyd starting at the beginning of Jasper National Park, all the way through Glacier National Park. That's like a full day and a half of Pink Floyd. Now, everytime we hear that group we'll think of beautiful British Columbia.
* Sirius radio was very nice for this trip! I've never used satellite radio before, but we're sold on it now. Being able to listen to NPR, uninterrupted across two countries is pretty damn convenient.

Negative driving experience:
* I'll try to keep this short, because I could go on and on about it. But the GPS voice activation capabilities of the Q5 kind of suck. I discovered, much to my chagrin, that using voice commands to navigate somewhere really only work when you are parked, but when you are driving, any extraneous road noise drives the little lady in the gps crazy and she will completely misunderstand what you are saying to her. I eventually got tired of yelling at her and just had to give up on using voice commands.
* Using the knobs to enter in GPS data is a bit of a pain. They confuse the hell out of my wife, and doing it while driving is dangerous. And they are non-intuitive, too.
* For the life of me, I cannot understand how Audi could produce such a fine automobile, made with such quality materials, and then completely blow a critical system like the GPS! My little GARMIN still outperforms the expensive Audi GPS, is easier to use (noise doesn't affect it), and cost a couple hundred bucks. I just don't get it!
* BTW, Google Maps will not work in Canada if you are using a US sim card. I didn't try roaming, simply because I am not crazy or made out of money. But the GPS maps that come with the car worked pretty well, so I didn't miss Google Earth.
* Audi Connect will also not work in Canada either, of course. So, you will not be able to access any online destinations you may have loaded in for a trip. I figured this out before we left, so I didn't get burned by it. This obviously isn't Audi's fault.

Conclusion:
All in all, it was an amazing road trip, made all the more so because we were driving what can only be described as a serious dream machine!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Great write up! Glad you are enjoying it and wish you many more happy miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have you gone through the voice coaching on the voice recogntion. It only takes a few minutes.

I can have my window open and she seems to understand all I have asked ...... so far

·
Registered
289 Posts
I sort of agree the GPS is a little frustrating but the other day I had to take an unplanned diversion so used the voice commands which worked well, including just speaking the name of a town I wanted to head towards. What was not as good was the fact that having taken a back lane route due to a traffic warning the GPS kept trying to turn me around for several miles before it actually re-calculated the route. Still I suppose I knew something it did not. Still got me home though. Great road trip you took there, although the last time I was in Canada I don't remember ever having to pass 3 cars at one time.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
That mpg figure is impressive for a 3.0TFSI. Better than I got with my old 2.0TFSI + there is a little more gas in a UK gallon. Good write up, would you like to share some photos?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts