Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally copied some music today to the internal hard drive to check out the album browser function (cover flow or whatever you like to call it), and come away disappointed as it seems to be displaying on artist (alphabetically) rather than album artist (so for a compilation it will show each track as a separate album). This is all a bit confusing given that it is supposed to be album browse rather than artist browse?

I can live with the fact that when browsing by artist it does it by artist rather than album artist (because you can browse by folder instead), but I did like the idea of using the album browser function.

Has anybody else noticed this/found a workaround? All my MP3s are fastidiously checked, so I know it is not a tag problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snow Man

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I copied off a micro SD card in an SD card adapter.... took a while...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Next question... I cannot find a reputable micro USB MMI cable on ebay/amazon, so before I order an OEM one, should I just consider a stock USB MMI cable, then I can plug a separate hard drive, or either iphone 5 or Nokia Lumia via their normal USB charge cables?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The problem lies with the tags on the mp3 files. If you make a compilation album the tags on each track retain the original artist and album name. You can fix it with a tag editor but it takes a bit of trial and error. Or at least it did in my case. There are loads of possible tags attached to an mp3 file and you have to find and edit the ones that the Audi jukebox looks at. You might find it easier to delete all tags and just rename each track in the compilation with Artist / track / album as the "track title". If the jukebox sees anything in the "album title" field or the "artist" field it'll show it as a separate album. Sorry I can't be more specific but each track will have a different tag structure depending on the album it came from.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem lies with the tags on the mp3 files. If you make a compilation album the tags on each track retain the original artist and album name. You can fix it with a tag editor but it takes a bit of trial and error. Or at least it did in my case. There are loads of possible tags attached to an mp3 file and you have to find and edit the ones that the Audi jukebox looks at. You might find it easier to delete all tags and just rename each track in the compilation with Artist / track / album as the "track title". If the jukebox sees anything in the "album title" field or the "artist" field it'll show it as a separate album. Sorry I can't be more specific but each track will have a different tag structure depending on the album it came from.
That's why you have 'artist' and 'album artist' and all my MP3's are correctly tagged (and have been checked by numerous tag checkers etc - as I said fastidiously). The trouble is that it is displaying by 'Artist' rather than 'Album Artist' which is nonsensical when it is supposed to be an 'Album' browser...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think ultimately the Album Browser is a no-go anyway, as contrary to what I said before, there is no browse by folder (I guess I must have seen this from the normal media selection i.e. SD card)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone confirm that they got 2 MMI cables with the car when opting for AMI (1 x IPod & 1 x USB)... I seem to be missing one...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I finally copied some music today to the internal hard drive to check out the album browser function (cover flow or whatever you like to call it), and come away disappointed as it seems to be displaying on artist (alphabetically) rather than album artist (so for a compilation it will show each track as a separate album). This is all a bit confusing given that it is supposed to be album browse rather than artist browse?

I can live with the fact that when browsing by artist it does it by artist rather than album artist (because you can browse by folder instead), but I did like the idea of using the album browser function
Marky, have another look at the folders. On my jukebox, there's another folder for albums a bit further down. Can't remember its exact name at the moment, will look if you wish. This second folder is correctly sorted by album. Fooled me for a couple of minutes until I scrolled down.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Can anyone confirm that they got 2 MMI cables with the car when opting for AMI (1 x IPod & 1 x USB)... I seem to be missing one...
I got both.

Reactions: marky9074

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, will look/get onto dealer for my cable!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats the third one?!

·
Registered
343 Posts
We've just got the IPod connection cable

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got a USB cable FOC and formatted a 64 gig stick as FAT32 yesterday... I have to say it was remarkably quick to index the files and become available... that will do for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts