Audi Q5 Forum banner

Jukebox - how best to use it?

33K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  marky9074 
#1 ·
My SQ5 will be delivered in March. In advance of that, I want to understand the best way to use the MMI Jukebox/SD cards/Ipod connection to store and listen to music.

For the last few years, I've had an iPod permanently connected to various cars. I have about 5,000 songs, totalling about 20gb and all in MPEG-4 (m4a) format, and most at 128kbps.

My music is all stored on a NAS in folders by artist and then by album.

I wondered if I could free-up my iPod for use elsewhere by making use of the jukebox or SD card reader...

So, to the questions:

1. Should I stick with my iPod solution or is it worth moving my music to the jukebox hard drive?

2. If I use the jukebox/SD, would I lose any functionality (search by artist/album/genre, ability to shuffle/play random tracks etc) compared to the iPod?

3. In order to use the jukebox/SD, would I need to convert my music files to another format - e.g. MP3?

4. If I do need to convert to another format, what is the best software for this purpose - to be able to convert a copy of the entire library and preserve the folder structure?

5. Anything else I should know?

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO the SD/Jukebox is a pain, all sorts of quibbles and nuisances with how to organise and tag the tracks etc.
Stick with the iPod if I were you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I just copied my whole iTunes library onto a sd card and put that into the ami.

IMO it works fine, the music is listed by artist, then by album and sounds great through the b&o.

As far as I know you can't shuffle or search, but you can create your own playlists using file manager on your pc.

#6 ·
Reactions: Quattro
#7 ·
I tried the jukebox for a day, got disgruntled with the album view which is actually artist view (and not even album artist), then copied it all to a USB stick and use that instead (using folder view)...

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sound does appear to be better yes, but its just a whole lot less grief.
I too have a NAS drive centrally for music and video. Copy, paste what you want and then just keep rotating the SD cards in and out of the car as needed.

idevices are a pain to keep sync'd, i don't want the same thing on all devices so auto update is not really an option for me.
That means I'm into constant iTunes. You also don't need to worry about power and docking with AMI. You could just leave a device in the car (i do this with the R8) and that just has all the older stuff on.

#12 ·
Yeah.. Apples idea that you want all your devices to be entirely the same doesn't really suit me either.

I'll get the SD card and give it a go, which will free-up my iPod classic to do something other than sit permanently in the glovebox of my car.

#13 ·
If you have Album art in your SD card folders then MMI will show the thumbnails which is rather neat. I have one 32GB SD with music on and the other slot as a further 32GB card with DVD rips on, looks stunning too...

#14 ·
Jukebox works fine. I have one album per folder. A little work with a mp3 tag editor and everything works as it should. All uploaded from SD card (put each folder in the root directory and don't have anything else on the SD card when you do the upload) to jukebox. Sound quality is influenced by mp3 bitrate so if you are ripping CD's bear that in mind. (Sorry that last bit is just to show how old I am). I've not noticed sound quality to be any different between SD card and Jukebox.

#15 ·
This is the dilemma i have had...Jukebox is a huge pain in the a*se to work out and use, but when you do use it the sound quality on the B&O is superb, and quite a bit better than bluetoothing your music from iPhone or plugging in.
What I have done with the SD Card is made individual folders on it on the computer, e.g. New Music, 90s etc... and then we you plug it into the car it notices each folder and lists all the songs. Smart but just tricky to get your head around

#16 ·
I use the Jukebox for all my music and it works fine. I use one of the SD card slots for any compilation albums as the Jukebox shows album art by artist which is the only negative as far as I'm concerned. The other slot I use for music videos
The Jukebox accepts iTunes . m4a files without any problem.

I did try to mess with editing the tags on a new Pure 80s Pop album, but it ended up worse with every artist showing in the album view instead of the single album which I was aiming for so I guess I got it wrong

I too haven't noticed any difference in sound quality between the SD card and Jukebox

#17 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have purchased the SD card, and will experiment with the file structure and data properties.

Just need the damn car to turn up for final testing.... Roll on March!

#18 ·
I don't see why I should edit correctly tagged music (especially when purchased from Amazon or iTunes) just to get Jukebox to show album artist. I would end up with two sets of media. I just use a 64Gb USB stick and copy ALL my music to it. Amazingly it is fast, I thought it might have to index the files (like the Blue&Me system in Alfa's) every time you turn on, but thankfully no..

Reactions: Snow Man
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.