Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general inquiry really, to see if I need to be more patient or take it back to the stealers for a look see.

My Q5 has done just over 2K miles now, and on the Mway it's brilliant, very smooth and responsive. However at slower speeds, for example the streets around my house, it never seems to be in the right gear, leading to jerky gear changes say after you turn at a junction and then apply the gas to get back up to 30/40 mph....it's not all the time, but it is often enough for me to wonder if something's not right.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so did it go away once the engine, etc, freed up?

FYI, it's a 3.0L TDI S tronic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had my car for two weeks now and done 1000 miles, it is a 3.0 l tdi SE and i have noticed something similar. When you slow down at a junction or roundabout it is reluctant to change down to 1st gear unless you stop fully. If you are still moving slightly it stays in second gear and if you try and move away quickly it trys to go in second gear, cant manage cganges down to first revs too high and then changes back up the gears. Its better in sport mode but just seems to be a symptom of having an engine with so much torque.

I will give it a few more miles and talk to the dealer about it to see if its a fixable problem or not.

I still love the car despite this though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had my car for two weeks now and done 1000 miles, it is a 3.0 l tdi SE and i have noticed something similar. When you slow down at a junction or roundabout it is reluctant to change down to 1st gear unless you stop fully. If you are still moving slightly it stays in second gear and if you try and move away quickly it trys to go in second gear, cant manage cganges down to first revs too high and then changes back up the gears. Its better in sport mode but just seems to be a symptom of having an engine with so much torque.

I will give it a few more miles and talk to the dealer about it to see if its a fixable problem or not.

I still love the car despite this though.
I have the 2.0 s tronic, 2 months old 2400 miles.
My problem is the inconsistency of the gearbox. The worst issue that I have is when you want to pull out at a junction or roundabout, you put your foot down and nothing happens -- and then you take off like a bat out of hell!!!!.
This has made me very hesitant at take off due to the un predictability of the car.
Any one else have the same issue? I remember in previous posts that someone mentioned their was a software upgrade for the gearbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 2.0 s tronic, 2 months old 2400 miles.
My problem is the inconsistency of the gearbox. The worst issue that I have is when you want to pull out at a junction or roundabout, you put your foot down and nothing happens -- and then you take off like a bat out of hell!!!!.
This has made me very hesitant at take off due to the un predictability of the car.
Any one else have the same issue? I remember in previous posts that someone mentioned their was a software upgrade for the gearbox.
I've noticed something similar with mine, but I'm willing to forgive that for a bit and put that down to a tight engine and the need to "get it moving" off the line so speak, so I'm hoping that will improve.

In response to rapidcool though, this is my 4th Auto Audi and my 7th Auto car overall, and there is definitely something different with the way this car seems to be progressing, however I can't decide if it's part of the bedding in process or a genuine issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
I've noticed something similar with mine, but I'm willing to forgive that for a bit and put that down to a tight engine and the need to "get it moving" off the line so speak, so I'm hoping that will improve.

In response to rapidcool though, this is my 4th Auto Audi and my 7th Auto car overall, and there is definitely something different with the way this car seems to be progressing, however I can't decide if it's part of the bedding in process or a genuine issue.
or maybe just lucky,or not enough driving time lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think what you are experiencing is normal for the S-Tronic box in the Q5.

Rather than it being an "issue" it think it is more a "characteristic".

If you are looking for more spritely performance of the line, you need to slide the shifter into "S".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts