Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
... before the SQ got me a speeding ticket!

Just coming home through my neighbouring village, rounding a corner to be confronted by the sharp end of a radar gun! Was doing about 35, it was a 30, I braked but not sure... (my poor excuse is, 100 yards previously I had been forced into an emergency stop by a plonker pulling across the road in front of me so I had just accelerated hard in disgust!)
There are a few reasons that they may not get away with it if I want to contest...
1. The officer and their patrol car must be clearly visible - their car was hidden up a side street
2. They cannot indiscriminately shoot every car, the officer must have formed a personal opinion that you are speeding first, and then use the gun to collect evidence. As I rounded the corner into the primed little piglet (he was very short) I'm saying they can't have formed an opinion first.

I'm also not sure if they have to pull you at the time??
I went passed them, then 50 yards up the road, it goes left as it goes to national speed limit. During this 50 yards a policey looking unmarked Volvo pulled out of afore mentioned side street and started up the road towards me, I presumed to do said pulling over, so I stamped on it as I was only 1/2 a mile from home and I was turning off 300 yards up the road and as he hadn't signalling to pull over figured I'd risk it - he didn't re-appear in the rear view...

I also just ran an insurance quote and an SP30 doesn't do anything to it - so now I am kind of thinking just take the points/fine rather than the course and its extra cost... (if I don't contest the whole thing per above)

The threshold for the course in a 30mph is 36-42mph - so what happens 30-35mph? I know people who have got tickets for doing 34 in a 30... Anyone know the deal here? Only thing I can find reference to is 10%+2mph rule (as that is 35), but as said, know people getting tickets for speeds in this zone...

Finally, there is one of those signs that tells you your speed in our village, and in my Mrs Mini it agrees with her speedo, but in my SQ it says I'm doing ~2mph more than my speedo. Most speedo's are normally a bit optimistic, so you are always going slightly slower than it says you are, but I am wondering if mine is pessimistic - in which case, I would contest on the grounds of faultily car from brand new (maybe take the course if I had to), and charge Audi for any costs incurred and have them fix my speedo! I think I'll take my portable sat nav out and see what it says my speed is...

I currently (and always) have a clean license, and would like to keep it that way if I can!

Anyway, all taunts, advice and experience welcome!

·
Registered
884 Posts
In my area a fixed camera limit is speed limit + 10% so 30 + 3.

On a dual carriage way near me the police put markers up as a measured mile in a 70 mph zone, however the limit has been reduced to 50 now with two sets of cameras along the route.

Used to check my speedo on this route at 60 mph.

Be thankful for the 30 limit, near me is a town that is 20 mph covering 5 miles.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's the wait I can't stand. Fortunately so far I've been very lucky!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have read through your post twice just to check and if I understand correctly you encountered a police officer doing a speed check in a 30mph limit with a radar gun as opposed a mobile speed camera. Neither he nor his colleagues subsequently attempted to stop you after measuring your speed. From what you say I would assume that the measured speed was below the threshold set by the local constabulary for issuing a penalty and as there was no photo taken by a Gatsonide or Laser measured speed camera device there is no evidence to convict retrospectively.
My understanding is that a hand held radar device as with Vascar which was,and may still be fitted to traffic cars, is designed to be used by traffic officers to record and deal with speeding at the time of the offence.
Gatso(nide) cameras installed in the yellow boxes on posts record your speed as you pass them, hence the white marker lines on the road which can be used as supporting evidence on the basis of time and distance covered in the Gatso photos. It flashes twice, hence two photos, if you are speeding.
The Laser type devices used by The Camera Safety Partnership (or some similar name), typically mounted in the back of and pointed out the rear door or side window of a white van with speed camera signage, measure and record your speed as you approach.
If you are caught exceeding the designated speed limit with either of these devices you will receive a notice of intended prosecution in the mail a week or so later.
Hope this helps and reassures you.

Reactions: José

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you say, no camera van or static camera involved, just an officer with a hand held radar gun, and no subsequent pulling over...
Hopefully I got away with it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
289 Posts
I think they need to pull you over to issue the ticket if they are using a mobile/hand-held device... Sounds like you got away with it.

On the subject of courses, I got a ticket for 34 in a 30 (In Oxford), but was still offered a course - which I decided to take. Have to say, it was worthwhile and quite interesting.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have read through your post twice just to check and if I understand correctly you encountered a police officer doing a speed check in a 30mph limit with a radar gun as opposed a mobile speed camera. Neither he nor his colleagues subsequently attempted to stop you after measuring your speed. From what you say I would assume that the measured speed was below the threshold set by the local constabulary for issuing a penalty and as there was no photo taken by a Gatsonide or Laser measured speed camera device there is no evidence to convict retrospectively.
My understanding is that a hand held radar device as with Vascar which was,and may still be fitted to traffic cars, is designed to be used by traffic officers to record and deal with speeding at the time of the offence.
Gatso(nide) cameras installed in the yellow boxes on posts record your speed as you pass them, hence the white marker lines on the road which can be used as supporting evidence on the basis of time and distance covered in the Gatso photos. It flashes twice, hence two photos, if you are speeding.
The Laser type devices used by The Camera Safety Partnership (or some similar name), typically mounted in the back of and pointed out the rear door or side window of a white van with speed camera signage, measure and record your speed as you approach.
If you are caught exceeding the designated speed limit with either of these devices you will receive a notice of intended prosecution in the mail a week or so later.
Hope this helps and reassures you.
Not sure if this helps, but our village Parish Council - God bless them - is currently recruiting volunteers to become trained in the use of hand-held speed monitoring devices under the CSP scheme which Cruicd refers to.
My current understanding is that, as civilians using these devices, the only powers they will have is to report drivers to the local District Council, who will then issue an advisory notice that excessive speed has been noted. Crucially however, there are no penalty fines or points attached to these type of notices.
The apparent purpose is to identify areas where excessive speed takes place and, if a regular offending pattern becomes evident, then the local police will be instructed to step up their own monitoring activities.
(Forgive the cynicism but I think the scheme has evolved from the nationwide police spending cuts programme - it's simply a redistribution of resources PR exercise, replacing paid bobbies with unpaid local "do-gooders").
Obviously this isn't relevant to Jose's own situation as the Old Bill seem to have been involved with his experience, but perhaps worth sharing as it's well-publicised that this initiative is being rolled out nationwide.
Jose - hope there's still no sign of an official brown letter dropping on the doorstep. Fingers crossed for you mate

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was caught a few years ago by a Laser guided device from approx 500m out and the letter definitely came in a white envelope with, I think, constabulary markings. It was north of the border so maybe here they spend some of the fee levied on expensive paper.

Reactions: José

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have the local do-gooders with guns as well. One is a friend of the in-laws and I drive past their house every day - I might accidentally be at full throttle if I see them in the front garden!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
I too have always been under the impression that a hand held device only read speed and didn't take any pics. As such, I thought you would need to be pulled over to be given a ticket.

Fingers crossed for you that I'm correct! ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts