Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my Q5 S line on Jan 5th and so far very impressed bought from Tyneside Audi salesman Steve Mason was superb could not fault the service.

I did not get any of the entertainment upgrades packages, basically because I could not afford them !

I was wondering if any member could recommend a mount for my iphone and my wifes ipod so that we can charge and listen to the music via the aux function.

I am not concerned about using my phone to make calls, I would prefer to have a mount to fit other than on the windscreen as I am concerned about the long term affect of the suction on the screen but would consider after advice.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have several options:
http://www.brodit.com:
they produce very broad range of holders that consist of 2 components; custom car mount specific to vehicle and custom device holder specific to phone/multimedia device/GPS unit. You can combine these 2 to get custom solution for your car. Just search through available solution and you will find at least 2 car mount for Q5 and several for iPhone (passive and active, for fixed installation or using cigarette lighter socket to charge). Then you need just cable to connect to aux.
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=208800:
they have several different cables/mount dedicated to iPhone. Advantage is that some includes also hands free calling possibility and/or audio transmission over FM radio. Some are just cable and some are full mounts that are firmly plugged into cigarette lighter socket.
In my old car (VW passat) I made compilation of these 2 solutions; I used Brodit car holder for center vents combined with pass-trough iPhone holder. Then I used Belking FM transmitter (soap on the rope type) connected to 12V socket to charge iphone and be able to play music (and voice guidance from TomTom app) directly to my FM. Works like a charm!
Finally there are lots of custom iPhone mounts that you can find just googling. But personally I found these mentioned to be the highest quality.
I did not yet made my decision for Q5 (will arrive only late March and I ordered MMI, but not AMI). But personally I'm inclining to put just Brodit iPhone holder inside the arm rest drawer with simple charger and aux cable (to aux socket placed there). Then I can charge the phone if needed and eventually play music via aux. I do not need to look at phone screen at the same time, so this should work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks interested to know how you are going to fix the holder into the arm rest.

I think I will order the dash mount and holder.

alan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Frankly... I do not know yet... My car is to be delivered late March, then I'll have a time to figure it out. Unlike my previous car, that was leased and I did not wanted to make any permanent changes/drilling holes, I will own Q5, so possibilities are way better

Initially I've been thing about placing the holder as on attached pictures, so that the phone slides from the front of car and connectors are at very rear side. Hopefully this way holder (without the phone inserted) will not limit access to compartment itself.
Image1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
ProClip is trademark for products manufactured by Brodit. ProClip is part of their mounting solution, specifically designed as platform (specific to car) for holder installation. Holder (phone specific) is another part of their solution. So basically answering to your question; yes, this is the same :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts