Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Having got annoyed at the weekend in the inability for my 5 digit postcode 2 grand sat nav to find a simple location I reverted to using the latest version of Google maps on my iPhone 5.

I was then pleasantly surprised to find that the turn by turn directions were then spoken via the car's audio system (cutting out the radio/music as needed) - which actually amazed me as I literally had done nothing to activate or set it up.

I have a 2011 Q5 which doesn't have Bluetooth streaming - but I just have the standard Bluetooth connection.

My guess is that its using some sort of Bluetooth call mimicking feature to pretend to be a phone call to enable audio to be delivered - would that be right?

The install of TomTom i use on my iPhone doesn't do this - so even more amazed that Google have managed to do this on their free application.

Has anyone else found this or tried it?

Cheers!

Reactions: Chopper

·
Banned
842 Posts
This works in my car as well, you can also use the car's microphone to speak to Siri.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeap, it does work as you described. If you want to use TomTom voice guidance you can connect to Aux, use FM transmitter and 'broadcast' to radio or connect via BT A2DPadapter connected to Aux. Not sure how it would work (if) via AMI cable... Advantage is that you can also play music and TomTom will silence it for voice guidance, as MMI does :)

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
That is neat. I suppose one could have the Audi map displaying your position, whilst following the route guidance from iPhone?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats true - might complement each other quite nicely.....now do I believe Google more or Audi :) eyes vs sound!

·
Banned
842 Posts
Exactly Missle I like my £2k 5 digit Sat Nav. It means I've had to go back to the good old tradition of asking a local on a bike where so and so is!

To be honest I don't find it that major an issue. The vast majority of time you are there or there abouts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:) I still have a road atlas in storage pouches anyhow :)

its not a major issue really - I think I was just pleasantly surprised that something just worked without having to set it up and it proved useful as a backup

Unfortunately there were no locals on bikes to ask in this instance :-(

Reactions: Chopper

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was a surprise to me that Google was able to integrate the audio portion with my Audi Q5 2012 and I wonder when we can expect to see the screen displayed on my Audio display instead? I still wonder why I can't play music using bluetooth?

-Glenn

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
See end of this... Full iOS car integration coming soon...
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

Lets see if Audi bite... I expect it will be the less prestigious manufacturers that want to take advantage of this tho as they don't include fancy features directly in the car themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts