Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about changing my mobile (Nokia 6303i) for an iPhone 4 but just want to ensure it will work OK with the Phone Prep Hi installation. Any one have any views?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Andi,

My wife has just bought her iPhone4 and, having read your post, I decided to try to pair it in the Q5. I only have the lowest of the low preparation for phone but the pairing was completed in a couple of minutes with no problem at all. Hands free, voice activated call home confirmed all was well. Hope that helps.

Ed.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had one from day one works well with the Audi system. No probs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had one from day one works well with the Audi system. No probs
Good to hear Rog, is your phone prep the 'hi' version where the phone syncs to the car via SIM Access Profile and the phone then powers down? I am struggling to confirm whether the iPhone 4 has SAP - i keep getting conflicting statements!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The iPhone 4 does not support SIM access, so you won't be able to use that feature.

It will pair with the normal handsfree profile though.

My wife has phone prep high in her Q5 and her iPhone works fine (but no SIM acces though - which is a shame)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like Rog I've had an iPhone 5 for almost 12 months and it works fine with the Bluetooth Low prep in my Q5. In fact I can also install thehandset in the iPhone 3GS cradle that I had for its predecessor for longer journeys to also provide charging & increased signal strength.

The only thing that I have noticed is that after my wife's ancient Nokia has been paired with the car it is a bit of a struggle to get it to 'see' my iPhone 4 again despite the pairing setup being saved and all theBluetooth setting set to automatic authentication.

I wonder if this may be the result of an old MMI firmware version?

My local garage is currently looking into updating the MMI firmware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking about changing my mobile (Nokia 6303i) for an iPhone 4 but just want to ensure it will work OK with the Phone Prep Hi installation. Any one have any views?
I have paired my iphone with my Q5 , no problems. The only annoying thing is that the connector (to allow me to play the ipod part of the phone) is in the glove box rather than the central console. Got so annoyed forgetting the phone that I have used an old ipod of mine instead and left the iphone in my pocket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone - looks like i can pair the phone OK via Bluetooth, however i won't be able to access the phone book contacts, etc as no SIM access profile on the phone - how frustrating! May have to consider something else as i use the phone a lot in the car (Blackberry maybe?), I need to be able to pick my work e-mails up also (via Microsoft Exchange server) - does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks everyone - looks like i can pair the phone OK via Bluetooth, however i won't be able to access the phone book contacts, etc as no SIM access profile on the phone - how frustrating! May have to consider something else as i use the phone a lot in the car (Blackberry maybe?), I need to be able to pick my work e-mails up also (via Microsoft Exchange server) - does anyone have any thoughts?
The handsfree bluetooth profile DOES allow for phonebook sync, so you WILL be able to access your iPhone's contacts via the MMI. This is how my wife's iPhone is paired with her Q5 with phone prep high.

You don't need to change your phone. In any case, as you've discovered not all phones support SIM access and blackberry's have their issues too with this functionality.

SIM access profile would give you the advantage of using the car's GSM module (and car antenna) to make phone calls, meaning that the iPhone's radio would not be used while in the car. This would save phone battery, make calls more reliable through better signal, and also stop your phone microwaving your brain - if you are concerned about that sort of thing ;-)

There are numerous bluetooth other "profiles" and they all do different things. For instance, the headset profile will allow handsfree calling, but not phonebook sync. The serial port profile is what your PC uses to connect your laptop to the internet, etc.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
connects OK, but the quality is poor, people are always moaning that i sound distant.
If i use a BB or a HTC phone, no issues at all.

This seems to be a common theme to the iphone, in truth its not a good "phone" - do a search on the web and you'll see loads of Audis and BMWs with issues.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry if I misled you I didn't read your post properly

I only connect via bluetooth as I'm only a casual user now. So for my needs its ok and 100% better than the experience I had with Nokia in my last Range Rover Sport.

I keep the phone in my pocket and use an iPod for my music. Saves the hassle of reaching to connect it at the far side of the glove box

1 - 11 of 11 Posts