Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange issue that seems to occur more when the weather is hotter, but it is sporadic really. When starting the car the central air vents blow air for a few seconds then you can hear what seems to be a physical noise of the vents shutting internally in the dash. You can hear the motor blowing, but no air comes through the vents?

It is a 2017 Mk2 SQ5, and everything is on auto etc for climate control. There seems to be no set pattern for if it will work or not, apart from perhaps more problems in hotter weather. If I switch climate control off, the air vents work fine immediately.

The car is in with Audi at the moment but they cannot find a fault, it worked fine when I took it in today...

They are re gassing the air con but didnt think the level was low enough to cause a problem, and when it works I have no problem with its ability to cool the car.

Does anyone have any ideas for this?

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,831 Posts
I think sometimes the car monitors all the sensors like temperature and humidity etc and decides what's best when certain criteria or levels are reached. I always switch the air con off before switching the engine off. But every now and then the air con will just spring to life when I switch the car on, and then I remember I washed the car etc recently and it must be quite humid in the car or system. Maybe somebody has a better idea of what's going on

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think the auto air con will 'shut off' at start up if it initially detects it will be blowing air into the car which is hotter than the temperature set inside. Until it has had a chance to cool the air. Or in fact the reverse scenario.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a strange issue that seems to occur more when the weather is hotter, but it is sporadic really. When starting the car the central air vents blow air for a few seconds then you can hear what seems to be a physical noise of the vents shutting internally in the dash. You can hear the motor blowing, but no air comes through the vents?

It is a 2017 Mk2 SQ5, and everything is on auto etc for climate control. There seems to be no set pattern for if it will work or not, apart from perhaps more problems in hotter weather. If I switch climate control off, the air vents work fine immediately.

The car is in with Audi at the moment but they cannot find a fault, it worked fine when I took it in today...

They are re gassing the air con but didnt think the level was low enough to cause a problem, and when it works I have no problem with its ability to cool the car.

Does anyone have any ideas for this?
check the air recirculation motor. I had the similar issue and the recirculation motor had failed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the air recirculation motor. I had the similar issue and the recirculation motor had failed
Thanks, it has had a full air con service and re gas now, so I will see how it goes for a few weeks and will keep this in mind should it happen again.

By the way, no fault codes showed up at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks, it has had a full air con service and re gas now, so I will see how it goes for a few weeks and will keep this in mind should it happen again.

By the way, no fault codes showed up at all.
Try pressing the air recirculation button to see whether this operates normally and whether you hear the same sound ie air blowing inside and none coming out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Neil, I had the exact same problem for 3 days at the beginning of this week, tried all sorts of settings to no avail then on Wednesday the aircon started to work properly again and it's been no problem since!!!

I have no idea why this happened but fingers crossed it will not happen again ... but I'm always very suspicious of mystery problems. I will post again if it starts to reoccur

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have my recirculation now working (since the weather warmed up). OBD eleven reading shows ‘recirculation motor flap mechanical malfunction intermittent’.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts