Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Pick up my 2010 SE Q5 tomorrow. The dealership is trying to sell me gap insurance, tyre insurance, smart insurance and the superguard package.

I'm aware of gap insurance, and do not really think its worth it. They are quoting £599.00 for 3 yrs.

The tyre insurance is £449.00 which covers up to 5 replacements in 2 yrs. Ive got 18 inch alloys. Does not cover wear & tear.

The smart insurance, which covers scuffs & scrapes is £399 for 3 yrs up to £3000 worth of damage.

Finally, the superguard package is £399.00. The dealer went as far as to say that this is essential, and that things like bird pooh can eat thr the paintwork which is a bit of a surprise as Audi give something like 6 years warranty on the paintwork.

Any views??

·
Registered
58 Posts
I paid £395 for GAP insurance for 3yrs from Audi. Think £600 is a bit steep. Don't know how much you're paying, but this was on a new car (spec as my signature). Do think it's worth it esp if car is written off or stolen.

We also got the Autoglyn Lifeshine as complementary. Think if you keep the paintwork clean, chance of acidic bird poo eating paint is remote.

If you haggle, think you can get a lot off those quotes.

Which dealer are you using?

Don't bother with tyre insurance. 99/100 you change a tyre due to wear & tear / slow puncture which won't be covered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi

I paid for the Life shine thing, £199 I think, was unsure but actually think it's pretty good, and a friend and I had TTs within a few months of each other, his was black and maintained it's lustre much better than mine and seemed to resist the light markings that showed even on my silver car.

Re the other insurance; GAP no way, it is only worthwhile if you think that any insurance payout wouldn't cover your finance, so if you don't have a huge finance deal you should be fine - they try to sell as well on the basis that you might not get enough to replace your car - your insurance company ask you how much the car is worth for a reason and actually may end up settling at list price in the event of a total loss as used cars are tough to come by so command a very high price.

£450 would probably cover 2 tyres, so if it doesnt cover wear what's the likelihood of 2 unrepairable punctures in 2 years??

Smart cover, never heard of it, i don't know enough to have an opinion on this, but sounds like an earner for the dealership, how does it work if you move, and is it full of catches like a high excess so you're unlikely to repair small scratches and hopefully bigger 'dinks' should come with someone else with an insurance policy (or your own if it's a shunt, no claims??? well I would think they'll still tell your company you've had a shunt so it could be you paying for 2 insurances..... some companies will not pay if they think its covered elsewhere?)

Hope some of that helps, and you'er enjoying your car. Remember any insurance p[roduct has to have a cooling off period of 7/14 days so you can still make your mind up if you took something.

Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi

I had an A5 back in 2007 and opted for the LifeShine and GAP at discounted prices, £300 for both if I recall. I can't honestly say the car seemed any better for the lifeshine but then I tend to spend a lot of time pampering it, waxing, clay, etc, etc.

Audi tried to push the full four product package on me when I bought the S5 but I decided to give it a miss. I sourced my own GAP from Zurich for ~ £200 for 3 years which I thought was good value. You just have to remember that for back to invoice policies you must take it out in the first month after purchase (this may vary from company to company).

I will go for the GAP again for the Q5 but I'll give the rest a miss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All

Ended up giving it all a miss. Having seen a few reviews, I cam to the conclusion that it really is just a big con by the dealers!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a few companies offering GAP insurance such as but in no ways limited to http://www.surfandprotect.com/ who I have used. Most policies appear to run to around £200-£250 for the same cover offered by the main dealers. Gives an idea of the value of this kind of insurance on the open market.

Ross

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer offered me Autoglyn Lifeshine for £350 inc. VAT and told me that he cannot give any discount but he can do me a deal on GAP insurance.
Not sure what to do...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got both the Autoglym and GAP free of charge from my dealer as well as the tow bar. Perhaps you ought to ask for that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts